My Mom Rules! (Blasts from the Past)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Mom Rules! (Blasts from the Past)

First off: Keep the snide "I love yo' momma, too" remarks to yourselves, 'ya pervs. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

So yesterday, the wife and I drop by my 'rents so they can spend some quality time with our little girl. It's good to see how much fun they have doting on the little one. Not like when I was a kid! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

As we're there, though, my mom pulls one of her routines. She was cleaning out some old stuff she "found" in the basement, and wants me to take it home.

Now, normally this s**t is annoying, because my mom was a cheapass and kept everything from when we were kids. (...I suppose being an immigrant Italian working-stiff with 6 kids makes you do that kind of stuff. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) So, typically, she pulls out a box full of old school notebooks and stuff that she hasn't thrown out "because they still have unused paper in them" or some crazy s**t like that. (..Not kidding! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) And, after I spend a hour looking through the box, I tell her to just throw it out, because there's nothing of value in there. And then her cheapass gene kicks back in, where she can't bring herself to (or let me) throw it away. So back in the basement it goes. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

She does this yesterday with two boxes. One is utter crap. A waste of time and effort. But - to my pleasant surprise! - the other has a bunch of my old guitar stuff in it. I had no idea she saved this. ...You've got to understand that my mom didn't exactly encourage my "metal years". [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Anyway, the cool s**t includes...

- Lots of old 80s guitar mags! You know, like with bands and sheet music I actually care about - Rhoads, VH, Crue, Ratt, Jeff Beck, Night Ranger, SRV. Lots of pics and ads of cool Charvels, Jacksons, and other gear.

- The old music books from when I took lessons and classes.

- A couple of old tour programs from Ozzy (Speak of the Devil) and Maiden (Piece of Mind)! Those brought back some memories!

- The receipts from my second guitar. A used (only two months old!) Kramer Voyager, serial # B3836. I paid $399 for it in December of '83. Cream with orange/red lightning bolt graphic. Single hum, vintage trem, gold hardware. IIRC, that was part of my Christmas presents that year. I miss that guitar! I don't miss the trade-in, though. That was my first guitar - a candyass blue Antares strat copy. I hated that one so bad, I must admit I forgot its make. All these years, I thought it was a different manufacturer. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] And it gave me an aversion to blue guitars so strong, that I've only recently gotten over it two decades later. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As Sully says, good times! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: My Mom Rules! (Blasts from the Past)

That's cool as hell! I also had a "B" serial voyager but it was black with silver lightning bolt, one hum, vintage trem. For all the "crap" she's saved I'm sure this batch made up for it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Mom's rule!

Comment

Man that is nice to have those memoroes brought back.... Last month or so my mom mailed me my Receipt for my 1986 model 3A and my 1988 Model 6..... The 3A was $550 and some change and the Model 6....well, I just wish I could get what I paid for her today..... Firecrackle and all was almost $1200 [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Comment

shreddermon, do you speak Italian???

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          shreddermon, do you speak Italian???

[/ QUOTE ]

Very little. I was the youngest child, so was exposed to it the least. And, as a stupid punkass kid, I didn't care about it. (Although I was frustrating by not being able to understand my aunts and uncles.) I even clowned around through a year of high school Italian classes without learning much. ...As an adult, I really regret this now, though. Wish I had learned it more.

But if you swear at me in Italian, I'll probably understand a fair bit of that. That happened often enough that I picked some of it up. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
          X