Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to save money on shipping guitars...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to save money on shipping guitars...

I'm gearing up to ship out / sell my extra guitars but I don't get how everyone is able to get shipping for Jacksons (or any guitar for that matter) in case for like $20-$35. I get quotes from the local UPS / FedEx and they're always $60-$75! Is there some hidden trick? Or do they charge me extra because I have long hair???

Re: How to save money on shipping guitars...

V's, Kelly's, RR's etc will cost a bit more, but a soloist, strat, whatever will cost about $15-$30 coast to coast or any variation there of.

No tricks, just get a box that fits the case well and take it in to an actual shipper office, I prefer FedEx over any of them, but they all have their probs and dislikes. Those firgures are for ground and ground only, and I beleive if it's residential, it may be a bit less. Insurance is always included with that, but you must specify the amount. Always include a bit more for your hassles if something does go wrong.

Hope that helps!
    Pat

Comment

What are you selling?? I might be interested, and that would save you on shipping
      I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

When I purchased my v,s it cost me 60.00 FedEx 2day. When I sold a few s-type they were 30.00 UPS ground. Both times the insurance was double the value to cover my A$$.

EJ

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          V's, Kelly's, RR's etc will cost a bit more, but a soloist, strat, whatever will cost about $15-$30 coast to coast or any variation there of.

No tricks, just get a box that fits the case well and take it in to an actual shipper office, I prefer FedEx over any of them, but they all have their probs and dislikes. Those firgures are for ground and ground only, and I beleive if it's residential, it may be a bit less. Insurance is always included with that, but you must specify the amount. Always include a bit more for your hassles if something does go wrong.

Hope that helps!
          Pat

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly is a "Shipper Office"? Is that like the actual FedEx place and not like a FedEx store?

[ QUOTE ]
          What are you selling?? I might be interested, and that would save you on shipping

[/ QUOTE ]
          I'll PM you in a few minutes with what I'm going to try to sell in a few days here.

Comment

Just PM'd you Drs with the stuff I'm selling

Comment

Do not over insure. It is a waste of money. If the item is damaged or lost you need to provide a copy of an official receipt or a copy of the Pay Pal invoice, Money order, or check used to pay for the item (computer printer receipts do not work). Or if you don't have those atleast two official (not my buddy says, or new list price is) price quotes for the same item you shipped in the same condition which means if you are not a dealer, it is used. You will get a check for the price quotes so long as you insured for that amount or higher. If you insure a guitar for $2K and its only valued at $800, you will only get $800.

Comment

Yes, go to an actual UPS or FedEx run office, do not buy into the Mail Boxes etc type places, although I believe UPS just bought them all otu, I could be mistaken, but go to the shipper direct.

Hope that helps!

Pat

BTW, how's the rig?

Comment

Good tip! Around here the drop spots tack on 15-20% for their services.

Comment

How do you tell whether a place is an actual UPS or FedEx office rather than an authorized dealer center thingy? Like, what are the names of these real places rather than "The UPS Store" or whatever other authorized centers?

Comment

If the place is "Bill's Transmission Shop and Salad Bar", you can kind of figure out it isn't a UPS owned business. The UPS places are the UPS store or the actual local UPS shipping centers you can find in your phone book. I do believe UPS will pickup at your home, but I am not sure you you need to be able to accurately weigh and print a label yourself or how you pay them. Its worth checking into though.

Comment

Hmmm, see, in other posts on the JCF, I read that "The UPS Store" is one of those authorized dealers that charge like $60 to ship, whereas if you take it to an actual UPS office, it's considerably less.

The point is, REAL UPS PLACE = less money, AUTHORIZED UPS PLACE = more money, for whatever reason. Can anyone confirm?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Hmmm, see, in other posts on the JCF, I read that "The UPS Store" is one of those authorized dealers that charge like $60 to ship, whereas if you take it to an actual UPS office, it's considerably less.

The point is, REAL UPS PLACE = less money, AUTHORIZED UPS PLACE = more money, for whatever reason. Can anyone confirm?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's what everyone is saying. To go to the real UPS / FedEx place instead of dealing with the "UPS Store" or "FedEx Store"

Hmm.. My guess is that they have to pay UPS to come pick up the item as well as the shipping and to use the name, so they charge you a ton extra so that they can make a profit too. Basically...

Shipping Fee + Their Costs + Extra to make a profit

Comment

you can pack them your self, and then take them to the Ups drop off station by your place, the last guitar I shipped UPs cost me $23 to ship to Boston ground
                            I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

I went to a UPS store once to ship and ACOUSTIC guitar and they tried to charge me $105 bucks!!! I told them off, went straight to UPS and paid $23.

Comment

Working...
                              X