Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a dog really suffer from separation anxiety??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a dog really suffer from separation anxiety??

Well...can they????

Phoebe has done nothing but mope around all day like shes lost her best friend and staring at me with those big brown puppy dog eyes (literally). I feel so bad for her....all she does is go from the living room to the den, laying in the window, watching for "daddys" truck. I went out to buy my boss lunch today (I knew he wouldnt leave work...) and I stopped at BK and got Phoebe a burger. I tore it all apart for her and put it in a plate and put it in front of the TV and she just nudged it with her nose and went back to the window to wait....what can I do for her?? And if this is the way she acts when hes gone for 24 hours, will I need to seek therapy for her when hes gone a year???

Mrs LPC

Re: Can a dog really suffer from separation anxiety??

i dunno what to tell you but yeah seperation anxiety isn't that uncommon in dogs. my good friend Branndi, she ahs a dog named emmy (sweetest dog you will ever meet) and if brandi so mcuhna s uses the bathroom,emmmy will begin to whimper and stuff

Comment

Krista,

Yes, they can suffer from sep anxiety. Has she done this before? Young dog?
      I would say if the lethargy continues to take her in for an overall check-up at the vet.
      If it is sep anxiety, it is solvable.
      Good luck,
      Em

Comment

Ive never really paid much attention before this. He was extremely lucky when he was the Wing Career Planner, there was no duty. When he went to Mag 14 last December, it seemed like he was squeezing by with no duty again, then in March it hit. Hes only had duty maybe 3 times since we've had Phoebe. Maybe they can give her prozac while hes gone [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mrs LPC

Comment

i will most certainly tell you that yes, they can. i've fostered a few greyhounds that have had that.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

yes ...when we leave the pico by himself ...he'll get upset and pee in the house...

only when we go out for a while..
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Absolutely- our dog, a 3 year old Jack Russell Terrier, certainly does. He gets very anxious when we get near the door, sulks in the morning when we're getting ready for work, and does not eat anything while we're gone. He sits in the window and waits for us to return and doesn't do anything.

Comment

Well it looks like Miss Phoebe will be headed to the vet once daddy leaves for a year.....I hate to have her medicated, but I cant have a depressed pooch on my hands. Maybe it would be better for her if I took her everywhere with me, but work is out of the question. I tried that, and she grew some serious balls and was all over Joe (the lab), and she barks entirely too much. She needs to be calmer so I can just carry her in a bag and be content. Maybe a playmate for her possibly?? I dont know how she would react to another lil dog in the house, but I guess it wouldnt hurt to try....just this time I will get a lazy dog that doesnt wanna do anything...

Mrs LPC

Comment

My dog howls as oon as I leave the house. It's heartbreaking. You should see her if one of us is leaving on an overnight trip, she tries to unpack our suitcases as we are packing them.
                  Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

We never ever leave Phoebe alone overnight. I just cant bring myself to do that. Shes a huge part of both of us, and I would be just a miserable as she would be if we left her here alone. Shes alone from 7am to noon, and 1pm to 430pm and thats enough for her. Shes soooooooooo excited when we come home.....I just cant believe how sad shes been today.....

Mrs LPC

Comment

Re: Can a dog really suffer from separation anxiet

I swear some dog's are more human than some humans. We have a 2 year old Boston Terrier (Josie). She is just like one of the kid's, if we leave without her, she's mad for a good couple of day's. She's the "baby" of the Family [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

My golden retriever is depressed when I leave for a few days at a time. She waits by the door for me to come home. When I do it's crazy she won't leave my side for a few hours.
                        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Dogs and cats really do suffer from separation anxiety. My cat Patches drove James nuts while I was in NJ for a week. She just walked around, meowed and moped. Barely ate. Then James would have me talk to her on the phone and it helped. (STOP LAUGHING it worked!!) But it does happen. good luck

Comment

My dog book says German Shorthairs are especially prone to separation anxiety.

Comment

You definitely want to take action for her. She could easily go from moping to trashing the house, then you'd be pissed and you get a snowball effect. Deal with it before that happens, or be prepared to come home and have your clothes torn down and shredded all over the place. Not saying that WILL happen, but don't be surprised if it does. They get sad, then mad, just like we do.
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X