Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: US officially using meter system?

The metric system > U.S system.

it's frikken simple. if you can count by tens, you can use the metric system.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      The metric system > U.S system.

it's frikken simple. if you can count by tens, you can use the metric system.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a matter of not being able to use it, it's just that we picture certain things in certain ways based on the measurements we use.

There would be a singificant transition period to get used to the new measurements, and a lot of people would resist it because it would mean relearning a lot of things we know.

I mean, if I'm driving along and see a sign that says "Amarillo - 563 km", I can't judge how long that's going to take me to traverse in my head. But if it says "Amarillo - 350 miles", I immediately have a rough idea.

If I see a sign that says "No one over 100kg", I have no idea if I am above that or not. And if you tell me you're 177.8 cm tall, I can't picture that in my head. If the weather man says it's ten degrees outside, I'd think I needed a heavy coat.

And the time necessary for my significant other to tell me to pick up 3.785 liters of milk at the store seems excessive to me when she could just tell me to pick up a gallon right now.

And ordering a Route 1.30108 sized drink at the Sonic just isn't the same as ordering the Route 44.

And changing all the speed limit signs on US287 to "112.65" would probably be expensive.

Comment

That systems is just used to make your PP sound bigger .....that's what I think.

Wasn't it Japan that introduce that system ....well they have miniscule PPs ....that's the proof right there ....

see size does matter..

just ask any african american 'bout the metric system ...they care a less about it...get my point...

see everything in the world evolves around the PP ...everything!!!
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I would really love if the country switched to metric but then I'm the son of a chemist who's grown up here and in 3 otehr countries so I was more exposed to metric than the imperial system (yes, inches, feet, yards, pounds are refered to as the imperial system because it came out of England and even they use metric now).
          I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Metric, Standard, whatever, as long as they put Sunday as the 7th Day of the week where it belongs instead of the 1st Day.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              That systems is just used to make your PP sound bigger .....that's what I think.

Wasn't it Japan that introduce that system ....well they have miniscule PPs ....that's the proof right there ....

see size does matter..

just ask any african american 'bout the metric system ...they care a less about it...get my point...

see everything in the world evolves around the PP ...everything!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

So Bill, the time system was invented by a Babylonian laying on the ground with his PP sticking straight up, thereby inventing the first Sun dial? Dude, you are a frikkin genius!!!
              Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Yes ....that's right Jack ....I saw that on the discovery channel......I went out and tried it but my my neighbors called the police ....but when they got here we just had a beer.!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                X