Help with my sister's Dell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my sister's Dell

Hey Guys, I wonder if you can help me because I'm stuck. I was trying to up the pixels on the computer's display because as they were everything was so huge. So when I slid the slider to the right and clicked to apply the monitor goes crazy and the light on it starts flashing. So now when I try to start up the computer it boots fine but when it gets to where windows should start the lights at the bottom to show that it's on starts flashing and I get nothing on the screen.

I've tried unplugging it for a while, I've tried booting into safe mode which her damn Dell refuses to do so I'm stuck. How do I get the damn thing to work again?
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Re: Help with my sister\'s Dell

Depends on the version of Winbloze you're running. In 2000 or XP if you hit F8 at bootup you should have an option for VGA mode. That should get you up to the desktop. You say it won't come up in safe mode... what exactly is happening when you try?

Comment

Don't do such things if you weren't shure what exactly you're doing. Resolution isn't just the matter of taste and visual affect, but also depends on the monitor, how many pixels per inch can it handle.

Usually, they're 1280 horizontal, but you never know. That's why manuals are for.
      Also, it's very smart to install the monitor and not just using it as plug-and-play device, because you can mess the frequency and the monitor will broke.
      Always try reducing the frequency first when raising the resolution. Then raise the frequency step by step too.

F8 is the ultimate button for running your computer in safe mode in Windows. Just a second before it starts reading (not the list of devices) the boot device (often this is a floppy disk - that's why floppies make a little noise when you're a step away from loading your OS).
      Reboot it in safe mode and then check the setup of the visual apperance.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. If you use 800x600@100hZ it doesn't mean that 100hZ will also work with 1024x768.

I hope you won't the monitor up.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Depends on the version of Winbloze you're running. In 2000 or XP if you hit F8 at bootup you should have an option for VGA mode. That should get you up to the desktop. You say it won't come up in safe mode... what exactly is happening when you try?

[/ QUOTE ]

She's got Windows Me which I hate! But then I use an Apple so troublshooting Windows is not my game.

Anyways when I would try to go to safe mode it went to the Bios! Weird huh? But eventually I got to safe mode and fixed the display issues.

Thank you so much for your advice guys. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Anyways when I would try to go to safe mode it went to the Bios! Weird huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's spooky and technical impossible.
          Bios is the part of the mainboard, but the data about first running application (OS) is written in the MBR (master boot record), which is placed on your main disk drive or main partition.

You can access the Bios only when you restart the computer, when the device listing completes, and that's why because you can set CMOS settings, otherwise you couldn't. CPU freq and voltage are very sensitive, so a slight overload can burn a processor, so nothing ... NOTHING should be run in the background of the Bios!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Hey Guys, I wonder if you can help me because I'm stuck. I was trying to up the pixels on the computer's display because as they were everything was so huge. So when I slid the slider to the right and clicked to apply the monitor goes crazy and the light on it starts flashing. So now when I try to start up the computer it boots fine but when it gets to where windows should start the lights at the bottom to show that it's on starts flashing and I get nothing on the screen.

I've tried unplugging it for a while, I've tried booting into safe mode which her damn Dell refuses to do so I'm stuck. How do I get the damn thing to work again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey ChickenSatch [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], have you been on Dell's forums yet, they can help you out with your sister's computer, A LOT [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]!!!:

DELL Forums <-- [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X