Any JCFer's work at Guitar Center?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any JCFer's work at Guitar Center?

I'm thinking of going to GC for a job in the guitar dept (sales). I was wondering what they are like to work for, if they pay decent and anything else I should consider? I was laid off last year (software trainer) and have had a few leads, but no job yet. I figure, I've been doing setups, and customization for a wide group in my area for about 10 years as a side thing, but it ain't enough to pay the bills as a full time gig. So why not go to GC.

Thanks!
    Jim [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Re: Any JCFer\'s work at Guitar Center?

I think Boxcar Willie works there now....and I wan't to say Jacksonfreak also (if I'm wrong, I apologize Gil [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Comment

RacerX Ron does, but he works in the wherehouse. Where is that you ask? OC in this case.

Comment

I don't think Ron works ther anymore. I could be wrong though.

Comment

This would be in the Orange CT location. At first I thought, man do I want to go to the corporate music retail world? Kinda feels like selling out, but on the other hand, I need a job and it seems like a secure way of making jing around guitars. I just don't have a big enough client base to start a shop of my own. We'll see!
          "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I'm no longer at GC...but Box is, (North Carolina)...and Jacksonfreak is (Chicago area).
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I applied a while back but they never called me back. [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working at a music store is fine and all that, and maybe doing some tech work on the side, giving lessons, etc, but I think you'll end up making more money in a manufacturing facility. It's at least a bit more steady than lessons and tekking.
                They're not as dangerous as the myths always say (especially when musicians are concerned), as long as you keep your mind and eyes focused on whatever is close to you that can hurt you. I see people every day turn their head away from whatever their hands are on or in while talking and almost lose their hand because of stupidity - KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE FUCKING DANGER! Honestly, the person you're chatting with is a helluva lot less important, and if they feel offended that you didn't look directly at them the whole time you were talking to them (or them to you) AND working at the same time, fuck 'em in the eye.

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I know I would rather work in manufacturing than at GC. Just having to listen to a store full of 12-year olds playing loudly/out of tune in unison would drive me nuts within three days. And having to foist off those starter guitar packs on people...shudder...

Comment

I visit Jackson Freak often @ GC I do not think he is overall happy with the way his store treats him... It just may be that store though
                    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion:
                      I know I would rather work in manufacturing than at GC. Just having to listen to a store full of 12-year olds playing loudly/out of tune in unison would drive me nuts within three days. And having to foist off those starter guitar packs on people...shudder...
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ah my friend, a true salesman would make an opportunity out of that... Walk over to said 12 year old, show him/her how to tune the guitar. Then the kid's mom or dad may be there as well and would be more apt to purchase an instrument from you provided you listen to them. If mom or dad isn't there, the kid will remember you. Who knows, the kid may ask if you give lessons...
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

Dr. NewC I havea friend (he posts here rarely) that is in SD and he does pretty well at a guitar store actually. He has 22 students and some good regular customers... Now this is not a GC and it is a less corporate store to work for so he has better freedoms etc....
                        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Working...
                        X