So tell me about Raleigh, NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So tell me about Raleigh, NC

There is a distinct possibility that we will be packing up and moving there. What am I getting myself into?
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Re: So tell me about Raleigh, NC

An NC JCF Fest with the LPCs, sdavis80, and Boxcar Willie.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Don't forget me Ron, I live in Raleigh. It's a very nice place to live.
      Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Oops! You're so forgettable, Jack! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Jack The Riffer:
          Don't forget me Ron, I live in Raleigh. It's a very nice place to live.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Can you be a wee bit more specific? Thanks.

- Newc

Comment

Tim, shoot me an e-mail or PM with specific questions on NC. I am not that familiar with the Raleigh area though, as we're about 2 hours away from there.

I've been in NC for 8 years or so, and it is actually pretty cool.

Comment

I lived in Cary, a Raleigh suburb, for a year and a half and loved it. Great people, nice weather (albeit a bit toasty in the summer), very friendly place. If anything, the only gripe I had was that the pace of the population increase was much faster than the roads, resulting in a lot of traffic jams in certain places. If you are there and see an older man driving around in a vintage blue 1968 Porsche 912, that was mine. sold it the week before I moved back to Maine. I miss that car.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Comment

Well, here's a big list of accolades the Raleigh area have received
                http://www.visitraleigh.com/media/accolades.html

Things that first comes to mind about Raleigh is that it's central to the mountains & the beach, ~2-3 hours either direction and it is now completely surrounded by lotto states. [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img] But not us yet.

Music scene is kinda lame IMO, all the coolest small club metal scenes have vaporized.

Suburbia is definitely booming, especially the surrounding areas.

Weather is ok, but sometimes ill. So hard to get snow, usually cold rain. And can get humid so when it is hot, it can get thick hot.

Being that I'm 10 min from Raleigh for 32 yrs now, and haven't experienced anywhere else, can't say much from what it is missing. But there is lots of potential here no doubt.

I'm in Cary and here's a interesting factoid
                http://money.cnn.com/2003/12/08/pf/b...east/index.htm

Here's a handful of primary local links
                http://www.raleighchamber.org/visitor/index.html
                http://communitylink.com/raleigh/
                http://www.wral.com/index.html (the primary news channel)

Guess it all depends on why you are moving here and what you are leaving behind.

Comment

I'm just sort of trying to get a sense of the good, bad, and the ugly.

Here's the deal, my wife and I grew up in Virginia and we moved to the Seattle area 7 years ago when I took a job with a big software company. We've never quite settled in here - not really our kind of place. Then there's the separation from our families. So I ran across an opportunity in Raleigh that allows me to continue working at the same company. That's 4 hours from home for us - close enough.

I was looking at some of the Raleigh web sites and it looks pretty nice. Real estate and the general cost of living looks a lot more reasonable too.

- Newc

Comment

It's still North Caralina though [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

I've lived in Seattle my whole life, I think it's about time here probally next year to move on. My sister just moved to Hunnington Beach 7 months ago and loves it, so I'm thinking either there, Arizona, or maybe Atlanta.
                    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Cost of Living is very reasonable here. As was said earlier we are kinda central to stuff. Mountains, Lowes Motor Speesway, Ericsson Stadium are 3 hours from Raleigh. Some of the beaches here are closer than 3 hours. Matter of fact, I just got back from a day trip out to Wrightsville beach. I'm burned to a crisp here. Wrightsville beach is only about an hour and a half from Raleigh.
                      We also have a Guitar Center and Sam Ash that are right across the street from each other.
                      Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim:
                        .. my wife and I grew up in Virginia..
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Where in VA, Tim?
                        My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

my wife grew up in wilmington nc (coast)...she liked nc...may have some views on raleigh as well...i'll ask...d.m.
                          http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Originally posted by mhalsey:
                            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by hippietim:
                            .. my wife and I grew up in Virginia..
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Where in VA, Tim? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Northern Virginia - Falls Church, Arlington, Springfield, Alexandria...

- Newc

Comment

Tim, Raleigh is a very nice place...I have a good friend that I've known since I was 11 who lives there, going to college (NC State), and he digs it a lot. I've been there myself, it is a nice place, and all the cool stuff down by me (Concord Mills, Lowe's Motor Speedway, ehh...other stuff I'm sure) is about 3 hours away. Dreamland Rebel lives up in Raleigh too.

Comment

Working...
                              X