Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who won the Vietnam War?!

Originally posted by Baum83:

As far as military stuff goes, the US retreated from there, I guess that classifies as "losing".
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That sums it up very well for me.

Re: Who won the Vietnam War?!

Fact: The U.S. never lost a major battle in Vietnam. I've heard it said, "We didn't lose, we left."

Another angle is to look at Vietnam today. They are rapidly deploying full-fledged capitalist programs.

Comment

Fong - you should try to see Fog of War. It is a documentary about Robert McNamara. The entire film is just him speaking about his life experiences cut with various footage in between.

http://www.sonyclassics.com/fogofwar/

Comment

Vietnam was a success as far as keeping the major Asian drug routes open and pretty much out of Red China's control, and establishing the DMZ (i.e. mine field) between North and South, but that's about it. It was a complete military and political failure, and a very harsh lesson for America to keep politicians out of the war business. It was also the first good indicator that news crews do not belong on the battlefield.
        "We left" - yeah we did, because we knew we couldn't win. Red China would have sent more troops to support the Viet Cong than America would have been able to send to support the South. Not to mention America had no idea how to fight a guerilla campaign on a large scale. There were small missions that suceeded, but they didn't achieve the ultimate goal of stomping the Communist Presence in Asia.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Big Winners: The far left uber-liberal antiwar crowd in the West, we still suffer from their thinking to this day.
          Winners: Communists (in general).
          Losers: The United States and the Vietnamese people.
          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Newc, the Red Chinese were actually NOT the allies of the North Vietnamese - the USSR was. There's actually a lot of hatred between Chinese and Vietnamese, and there was actually a small border war
            between them a few years after "our" Vietnam war ended. The Vietnamese actually beat back the Chinese invasion attempt.

I'd say the Vietnamese people both won and lost the war. We basically hogtied our own efforts to win, fearing a world war between Communism and capitalism if we'd gone all-out to win.

Too bad our government refused to see Ho Chi Minh when he came to us for support BEFORE he went to the USSR. We wouldn't go aganst our great allies - the French -
            though! Funny in light of recent events,
            huh?
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Who won the Vietnam War?!

What is your take on this?! For me, i feel that Amercia won the war.

And the Left wing opinion which widely reflected in today History courses and the media that the US lost a war in Vietnam against a local, popular guerilla movement are Bullshit. IMHO

I'm sure we have many veterans here to give us more inside.

Thanks
              Fong

Comment

Everyone lost in that war, even more so than in certain other wars. The Vietnamese still suffer from the remaining Agent Orange/other chemical stuff and their communist regime, the US lost a huge part of their pride and to a certain extent their "innocence", and I guess that there wouldn't have been more communist states if the US hadn't intervened. Not to mention the casualties on all sides, during and after the war. Just a huge steaming pile of bullshit. I don't blame anyone in particular, just what I think about that war in general.
                As far as military stuff goes, the US retreated from there, I guess that classifies as "losing".

Comment

> Who won? Bell Helicopter for one,along with any other defense contractor. Bell made 10,000 Huey UH-1 choppers during this time,3500 of which were destroyed,at a cost of about 2.7 million EACH,plus all the other models made made by Bell and Sikorsky,for a grand total of 6500 or so American made choppers rendered useless. Tommy D.
                  "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Lerxstcat *really* loves the word actually! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

There were 58.000 Americans that died in Vietnam
                      The amount of enemy dead is 1.100.000 (NVA / VC)

That says pretty much!

They won the land, but at a very high cost.
                      What do they call people who over-pay for something?

Also, The reason for the war was to stop the spread of communism throughout south-east Asia.
                      which was a success, Vietnam was lost but all the sourrounding countries were saved.

Comment

I saw a documentary a while back where one of the vietcong leaders said the US would bomb them to the brink of surrender, and then suddenly stop.

Comment

The shitty part about Vietnam is that it distracted against a greater enemy more deserving of an ass-kicking, Pol Pot, who was the 2nd-worst butcher behind Hitler in the 20th century, and was just next door to Vietnam in Cambodia. Once the US pulled out of Vietnam, he went from bad to worst. We could have done some real good in that region by going after him.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                            Lerxstcat *really* loves the word actually! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's true, actually! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thnking further, I'd say we threw the war
                            rather than lost it. We wouldn't do what was necessary to win for fear of triggering actual Soviet troops coming in en masse on the North's side. So by correctly deciding Vietnam was not worth starting WWIII over, we won by throwing the war, because to ACTUALLY win might have required nuclear warfare, which would still be losing even if we won.

Actually. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob From Accounting:
                              There were 58.000 Americans that died in Vietnam
                              The amount of enemy dead is 1.100.000 (NVA / VC)

That says pretty much!

They won the land, but at a very high cost.
                              What do they call people who over-pay for something?

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think you are forgeting that our soldiers would exterminate women and children as well as decimate towns. Did they over pay? or did we commit a veritable genocide?

Comment

Working...
                              X