Blackout by the Scorpions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blackout by the Scorpions

I think it needs to be left alone. IMO that was one of the main albums that set the tone for the '80s. In fact that was the first album I actually bought. My parents hated it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] IIRC that was about '82. If you want to speed up an old Scorpions song, try Dynamite. It was already fast, but I think a faster, punk version would work nicely. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by L:
      it's imagintion time!
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What time is it again, L? [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

time to get ill?

Comment

Originally posted by LesPaulCustom:
          Yeah, but look at what the Ataris did with the Boys of Summer by former Eagle Don Henley. They butchered/ruined it [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">it's official now... you are wicked high, my friend! it's note for freakin note, and 37% less pansyish!

Originally posted by LesPaulCustom:
          Or how about Enter Sandman by a American Legion Polka Band [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">that is a fantastic idea! i love that!!!

...you're still high about the henley.

...oh shit, that's a great name for a solo album! i'll put that out after my other solo albums; kill you in the face...or eye, hot cup o' rabies, stay sweet and have a kickass summer, and high about the henley! YES!

and yes, i say speed that motherfucker up! why the hell not?

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by L:
            "Rob, we’re called Sonic Death Monkey… If Laura and her bourgeois lawyer friends can’t handle it, fuck them. Let ‘em riot. We’re Sonic fucking Death Monkey."
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">greatest. movie. ever.

sully
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by jsullysix:
              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by L:
              "Rob, we’re called Sonic Death Monkey… If Laura and her bourgeois lawyer friends can’t handle it, fuck them. Let ‘em riot. We’re Sonic fucking Death Monkey."
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">greatest. movie. ever.

sully
              </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">'tis a good one indeed

hey, isn't High-About-Henley a village in England? [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
              Hail yesterday

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] nice. i'll shoot the album cover there.
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I'd rather hear the American Legion Polka Band cover Battery than Enter Sandman. I just see Battery as more polka-friendly! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                  [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Matthias Jabs does a great job with the fills on that song.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mathias Jabs is the pinch-harmonic lick master [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

This is funny. The last band I was in here in NY (Below Zero), we covered this song, and we did indeed light it up: Faster and Heavier. It was a crowd favorite!
                      Good call, L! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

To me, it's "No One Like You" that needs a little tempo-goosing. Not into thrash territory, mind you, but maybe just 10-20 bpm.

I think "Blackout" is just fine as-is. Great album, by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by L:
                          Is anyone else of the opinion that this song needs sped the fuck up and it would be that much better? I envision a young Metallica circa 1982 covering it, getting the chunka-chunk guitar of the verse up to takeoff speed, and really letting loose on the vocals, especially screaming "BLACKOUT!" during the chorus.

TOmmy, Chuck, anyone?
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">James doesn't have the range to sing "Blackout", so he couldn't let loose on the vocals. He'd have to sing it an octave lower and the screams would become growls. Kirk couldn't string Mathias' guitar either, and he's only the 3rd-best
                          guitarist the Scorps have had.

I'd look for a different band than Metallica to cover it, and it could only be slightly sped up before losing its groove IMO. Which means squat, but its mine!
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

"Kirk couldn't string Mathias' guitar either"

You ain't just a whistlin' dixie there Lerx!

Comment

God, I haven't listened to Blackout in years! One thing that always bugged me about that album, though. On the playout of the final track, just as it's fading, someone plays a little bluesy lick thats WAY off, not even in the same postal district! Used to piss me right off...

High-On-Henley is about 50 miles down the road from me, they've got a KILLER cricket team [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

We once toyed with playing "Enter Sandman" in a dub reggae stylee - a vast improvement IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                                </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by L:
                                Is anyone else of the opinion that this song needs sped the fuck up and it would be that much better? I envision a young Metallica circa 1982 covering it, getting the chunka-chunk guitar of the verse up to takeoff speed, and really letting loose on the vocals, especially screaming "BLACKOUT!" during the chorus.

TOmmy, Chuck, anyone?
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">James doesn't have the range to sing "Blackout", so he couldn't let loose on the vocals. He'd have to sing it an octave lower and the screams would become growls. Kirk couldn't string Mathias' guitar either, and he's only the 3rd-best
                                guitarist the Scorps have had.

I'd look for a different band than Metallica to cover it, and it could only be slightly sped up before losing its groove IMO. Which means squat, but its mine!
                                </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Those problems could be rectified by substituting Metallica for Testament. Chuck Billy could handle the vocals (Or could've back in the day at least...not entirely sure if he still has all his range), and they've always had insane guitarists.

It wouldn't be the first time they covered the Scorpions either...they did a cover of Sails of Charon, too...I think around when they did Low (It's on the Dog Faced Gods single...and Signs of Chaos)

Comment

Working...
                                X