Union rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union rant

damn Todd...that totally sucks. While they can increase your hours I don't think they can legally make you work 7 days a week for any extended period of time. I'm not sure of the laws in Michigan but that would be a step above slavery if they do. I got dicked before from being management and being salary...no limit in hours per se but after a certain amount of consecutive days you have to have day off.

If you go to Redford you'll need a car, no nice walks to work.

I think unions have done some good for the American worker, the problem is they have become so corrupt and have created so many ways fuck the system...it truly sucks. The 4 hour pay for flipping a switch is so true. I was Teamster in Detroit when I was in college and loaded airplanes at Detroit Metro with food. The catering people who loaded the planes were Teamsters and the doc maintenance were a different union. If we dropped something on the dock and picked it up...an employee of the other union could file a grievance and get paid for it, that is abuse of the system if ya ask me.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

But aren't both statements saying primarily the same thing?
      Occupy JCF

Comment

Hi Ron - slowass [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Tekky - No, actually, one statement is future-tense (are outliving their usefulness, like saying the Sun is burning out), and past-tense (have outlived their usefulness, like saying the Sun has burned out)
        [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

OK fine, whatever. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
          Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz:
            damn Todd...that totally sucks. While they can increase your hours I don't think they can legally make you work 7 days a week for any extended period of time. I'm not sure of the laws in Michigan but that would be a step above slavery if they do. I got dicked before from being management and being salary...no limit in hours per se but after a certain amount of consecutive days you have to have day off.

If you go to Redford you'll need a car, no nice walks to work.

I think unions have done some good for the American worker, the problem is they have become so corrupt and have created so many ways fuck the system...it truly sucks. The 4 hour pay for flipping a switch is so true. I was Teamster in Detroit when I was in college and loaded airplanes at Detroit Metro with food. The catering people who loaded the planes were Teamsters and the doc maintenance were a different union. If we dropped something on the dock and picked it up...an employee of the other union could file a grievance and get paid for it, that is abuse of the system if ya ask me.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Others have questioned the hours of strike assignments in regards to slavery laws, but I think somehow, they got around it. I'm hoping for one of two things. 1) the strike being averted and 2) if they do strike that we get some sort of compensation for it.

Two words regarding needing a car.... Corporate Card!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] And trust me, I plan on making as close to full use of it while I'm there. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

It's kinda funny that all of this union stuff is happening around the same time I'm reading "The Outfit". It's a book about the mob syndicate that inherited the Chicago crime scene after Al Capone "went away". It tells about how they diversified from bootlegging to infiltrating the national unions to cornering the market on gambling. First they placed their men in the union's hierarchies, raided the union treasuries, and then they extorted the businesses into paying them more money to prevent a strike.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

Did you find that one in the Fiction or Non-Fiction section? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

If Todd holds a salaried management position, then yes, his company can work him all those extra hours and days without extra pay. Transpo and a per diem for hotel and food are something he's probably entitled to.

Todd, I think the guy was joking using the term "misspelled". It wasn't a real spelling or grammar correction at all, and seemed sympathetic to your statement.
                Sort of like if you said Janet Gardner was a "cute girl" and if I said you misspelled "hot-ass babe"! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Todd - My apologies for offending you with my earlier post. Newc's exactly right in that my intent was to state that I believe unions have already reached the point of doing more harm than good (overall, not WRT individual workers and I definitely have nothing against individuals who are union members) whereas you seemed to be saying that they were going to reach that point in the future. In the future I'll use "I believe that ..." rather than "You misspelled ..." but it won't be as much fun because it won't contain the backhanded stab at Ron.... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I was right, too! Fugger! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

OK, OK: New, Ron & lerx were *all* right! Happy Ron? [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Like a pig in shit! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

YetAnotherOne, I accept your apologies and offer my own. As I said, corrections are my #1 pet peeve, I've squared off with others in regards to them. With the discussion at hand I'm a little edgy and didn't see your meaning.

Lerx is correct, I am a salaried employee, so I'm basically screwed.

Newc: Non-Fiction - The Outfit: The Role of Chicago's Underworld in the Shaping of Modern America, by Gus Russo
                          Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
                            I've squared off with others in regards to them.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Todd - Apology most definitely accepted though it was quite unnecessary. I could certainly have phrased my comment differently though, as a few here might have noticed, I'm not paricularly subtle (unfortunately consequence of my chosen profession). [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Tekky, I feel your pain. I was a Teamster for 16 years. Now I wear a tie for the same company. No such thing as overtime pay. The union was a good thing for me at the time. Great medical coverage, good pay and building a pension. It paid for 3 kids being born and all the revisits to the Dr. that go with it when they are young. What the other good thing about the union was that when you build seniority, often you get better shifts and cushier work.
                                I now pay more for medical even though I make more now, but the retirement is not as great as if I stayed in the union, so it is almost a wash. The problem I had with the union was dealing with contract to contract. A strike is killer, so if there is any light to shed is you still get paid. Just ask anyone who has been locked out for a length of time. You seldom ever recoup what you lost and lucky to hold on to what you have. Also why I jumped was to add to a resume with management experience, not just a laborer because I was not getting any younger. You at least have management experience that you can relocate at a good salary base. That’s if you had enough with the company you are with.

Good luck
                                ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Working...
                                X