• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Music or Bands you Hate!

I have a knack for useless information.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

"and about newc's post : i always thought that hiphop music was started in brooklyn in 70's by DJ kool herz ? "

The actual Djing and "scratching" and beatbox stuff was, but the vocal style known as Rap (not sure of the technical musical term for it - syncopated?) was around in the 1930s.

Iron Maiden were not Hair Metal - "Hair" refers to "Hairspray", as in "Hairspray and Makeup". Yes, Maiden had full heads of hair, but it wasn't styled, teased, sprayed, gelled, moussed, or otherwise coiffed (other than trimming to maintain general condition). Poison, Warrant, Crue, etc etc were going whole hog on AquaNet to have bulletproof hairdos. MAJOR difference there.

Plus they spent more time singing about getting drunk, in trouble, in pussy, or out of school than anything else, and those are not "Heavy" issues like world politics (past and present) or futuristic/fantasy novels that Maiden, Priest, or Sabbath wrote about.

On the subject of being close-minded - not everyone can be a musician. Sorry to burst your bubbles, but you are either born to be a musician (whether for profit or fun - fame and fortune, or obscurity and poverty). It is not something you can catch like a cold. It cannot be implanted artificially like a fetus, and it cannot be taught or learned. You either "know" music in your soul or you do not.
      I know when I hear something if it's done by someone who was born musical. Snoop Dogg, Dr Dre, Eminem, all that shit - very few of them were born to music. Busta Rhymes was, Tupac was not. Anyone can learn and master a given style of music - few of those can do it convincingly (i.e. with sincerity). Those who do it with sincerity are the ones born to do it. Zeppelin weren't a Jazz Fusion combo, so their technical proficiency was way off. I see Frank Zappa doesn't have the #1 Most Requested Rock Radio Song of ALL TIME.
      Interesting fact: Led Zeppelin NEVER released a single.
      B1tch all you want about Page's sloppiness and Plant's vocal style - all 4 of them had music in their souls, and THAT'S the main ingredient to a successful song.
      Any idiot can follow a recipe and cook a meal - you gotta know how to make it taste good, and there's not a spice on the shelf that can make "just anyone's" cooking as good as that of someone who knows cooking.

As for diversity in listening, I've got CDs by:
      -Metallica
      -Megadeth
      -Iron Maiden
      -Black Sabbath
      -Alice Cooper
      -Judas Priest
      -Ozzy
      -Led Zeppelin
      -Motorhead
      -Queen
      -AC/DC
      -Pink Floyd
      -Rush
      -Stray Cats
      -Loreena McKennitt
      -Glenn Miller
      -Vivaldi
      -Tchaikovsky
      -Triumph
      -ZZ Top
      -The Beatles
      -X-Japan
      -Johnny Cash
      (and that's just the ones I can find at-hand)

While most of those CDs are linked by featuring a guitar, if I thought they were shit I wouldn't listen to them or include them in my list.

All of those I listed have something else in common - melody. Recognizable melodies, not some "artistic" cop-out excuse of "I'm on another level musically, so the melodies I hear are not the same melodies anyone else will ever hear" like Trey Ass-thong.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I wish I still had the pic from mid 80's with Black Sabbath and yes Toni Iommi, with their hair big and teased and somewhat glammy clothes. Some kind of promo thing. I swear to God I'm not making this up! Even Sabbath did it briefly. Not for long though. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah sure. You're talking out of your ass, Powell! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Powell:
            Everyone assumes that the word Hairband only refers to Poison or Warrant. I don't even listen to that stuff. What about Sabbath, Priest, Dio, Scorps, Metallica, Megadeth, Queensryche? All hairbands folks.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No way! You're the ASSumer! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            Sabbath: Doom
            Priest: BritMetal (or True Metal)
            Dio: Sword Metal [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
            Metallica, Megadeth: Thrash
            Maiden: NWOBHM

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Gary Powell:
              Everyone assumes that the word Hairband only refers to Poison or Warrant. I don't even listen to that stuff. What about Sabbath, Priest, Dio, Scorps, Metallica, Megadeth, Queensryche? All hairbands folks.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No way! You're the ASSumer! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              Sabbath: Doom
              Priest: BritMetal (or True Metal)
              Dio: Sword Metal [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              Metallica, Megadeth: Thrash

Maiden: NWOBHM
              </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The photo wasnt near as ridiculous as other hairbands looks but I swear I saw it somewhere. They came to their senses quickly I guess. The mid 80's was a weird time for clothes and hair.

Wow you don't like me much do you [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Actually Sabbath did do the Hair thing briefly - when that one guy was in the band just long enough to do a photo shoot - Geoff Fenholt.

Anyway, they didn't go to nearly the extent Poison did. You couldn't tell where Vixen ended and Poison began [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Mmmmmm, Vixen.... [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
                  Roxy's tight ass....mmmmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">dude, you might as well be salivating over vinnie vincent...talk about separated at birth!
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

• Re: Music or Bands you Hate!

I think at this point Ron will do anything that has a warm body...... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] Just joshing ya there bro...... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dave->
                      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by jsullysix:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by RacerX:
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">dude, you might as well be salivating over vinnie vincent...talk about separated at birth! </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks Sully for bailing me out on that one, I thought i was going to start a war! I just wish I could find that pic. I think it was some cheesy metal mag.

And remember VH during the "Jump" era? OMG they looked silly. Not as silly as alot of others though.

Comment

Actually just yesterday, a girl came up to me and started flirting with me. It was so unexpected (I was walking back from Carl's Jr with my breakfast bowl [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] and I looked like a bum, greasy hair, sweatpants, funky shoes), I didn't know how to react. Duh. That's the 2nd time in a week. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I must be losing weight.

Comment

Threads like this remind me off the old days when I was a kid, everyone would debate the "Ford vs. Chevy" thing. The funny thing is everytime the debate started and ended the same way. With everyone all worked up, and if anything, each side was even more entrenched in their beliefs over who was better.

I am as pig-headed as everyone else here when it comes to musical styles. I live and breath 80's metal, from candy ass shit like Poison/White Lion/Bon Jovi/Firehouse to heavier stuff like Maiden/Racer X/King Diamond. Nothing anyone says is going to change what I listen to.

Make fun of me all you want, but I can turn it around and say the same about your shit too. It's all a matter of preference and taste. I'm not right or wrong, and neither is anyone else.

Whatever makes you happy.

R

Comment

Man, who pissed in your Wheaties, Ralphie? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                              A bunch of us were just correcting Powell on his wrong assertion that certain true metal bands were "hair metal". [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Powell:
                                I thought i was going to start a war!
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Let's start a war!
                                Start a Nuclear war!
                                At the Gay Bar
                                Gay Bar!
                                Gay Bar!

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

http://www.rathergood.com/gaybar/

Comment

Working...
                                X