Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lets talk guitars for rhythm playing

Originally posted by ChickenScratch:
    It seems many people seem to think that Gibson Les Pauls, Explorers...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">well, i always thought V's were better for lead than for rythm but maybe i'm off

well, those guitars are loved when it comes to rythm playing because they are HEAVY. i mean REALLY heavy. ever played a gig with a les paul and another with a strat? noticed any difference? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    well, basically the heavier the guitar, the fuller and punchier the sound. furthermore, an explorer is a quite big guitar which adds even more punch to your sound.

of course you can shred with an explorer and play rythm with a rhoads. but most of the time its the other way round because a light guitar like the rhoads sounds brighter and cuts better through the mix for lead playing than the explorer.

greets
    fragle

Comment

sure they have the great tune-o-matic bridge so your not going to make it go out of tune by palming the bridge
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'll say it again... any bozo that palms a Floyd Rose and is that heavy-handed to put it out of tune, seriously needs to relearn their technique and play properly. There's no need to apply pressure on the bridge to move it out of tune! [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Fragle:
        [qb]well, basically the heavier the guitar, the fuller and punchier the sound. furthermore, an explorer is a quite big guitar which adds even more punch to your sound.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry, but you are way off base there. That is simply not true. Weight does not determine tone, by any sense of the imagination. While it's true that many rhythm players prefer mahogany bodies for the darker sound, and mahogany is sometimes quite heavy, there are many exceptions. A maple body will produce a very bright sound, but will be extremely heavy. Ash on the other hand is much lighter, but has a fantastic midrange tone which is great for rhythm.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I'm with shreddermon too...its music and I don't differentiate rhythm or lead by the guitar I use to play the parts.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Oddly enough, I tend to get better rhythm guitar sounds by using lighter strings--.009-.042. I just get better note definition on chords using lighter strings and can play very complex chords with lots of distortion--whereas it all tends to blend together with heavy strings.

Remember, Tony Iommi has gotten those great rhythm guitar sounds over the years by playing really thin strings detuned down as far as C#--even .008-.038, I believe.

If you were really going to bash hard on some power chords, I guess the heavy strings would be necessary, but they tend to give me (1) muddy chords and (2) carpal tunnel syndrome. But that's because I'm a lead player, I guess... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by ChickenScratch:
              sure they have the great tune-o-matic bridge so your not going to make it go out of tune by palming the bridge
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'll say it again... any bozo that palms a Floyd Rose and is that heavy-handed to put it out of tune, seriously needs to relearn their technique and play properly. There's no need to apply pressure on the bridge to move it out of tune! [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually as I said all my guitars have Floyds and I've never pushed it out of tune while playing. I was talking generalities and since I once read an interview with Danny Spitz and he talked about pushing the guitar out of tune (maybe he should relearn) I thought I should mention it.

And back to the strings issue, I pretty much take everything from the school of Marty Friedman (except the Floyd) and learning to play I tried to copy him as much as possible. At this point I'm so into heavy strings that I could never go back I think.
              I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Working...
              X