Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Really bad gig experiences?

I'll try to make this short...

Show starts earlier than expected, and I barely make it in time. Keyboard player is not there yet. And probably won't be for another half hour, as that's when we're supposed to go on.

Drummer and singer panic, and decide to compensate by starting with songs that have little or no keyboard in them.

Unfortunately, the bass player (...who was not our usual person) gets confused. He hasn't ever played this first song with us. He's familiar with it, but asks "what key?"

Before starting, I point out to the drummer and singer that said bass player hasn't done this one with us, so maybe we should do one that we ALL have played together. They agree. Bass player is cool.

...Except, he's still all panic'd and confused, and starts playing in the key discussed for the other song. No, it's not the correct key for this song. Yes, he plays the entire song in the wrong key! This also throws off the singer for much of the song, until she figures out he's in the wrong key.

Second song goes so-so. Everyone's in the same key, at least. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Keyboard player runs in during the third song, bangs on his board to no avail. No sound. Halfway into the song, he figure out that his amp isn't on. And, once he does, he can't find the right patch for the song. Doh!

Once he finally does get volume and a patch, he and bass player are shouting to each other. I can't hear it, so I ignore. Bass player is asking keyboard player "...what key? ...G?". Keyboard player thinks he's telling him to play in this different key. ...Here we go again. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] Luckily, keyboard player quickly figures out that bass player is wrong and reverts to the correct key.

After this, the other songs go OK. But, at this point, we're so screwed that I'm in total "f**k it" mode, laughing hysterically and basically don't care.

The capo to this clusterf**k of a night waits, of course, until our last song. The sound guy thinks we're done. And, just as we start that last song, he brings up the lights and pumps out house music through the PA system. He's immediately talking to a buddy, so can't see us waiving and shouting to him. Until we're already about three-quarters of the way done. ...Oh brother.

[ April 12, 2004, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: shreddermon ]

Comment

Thats Hilarious dude [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Usually when one thing goes wrong it sets off a series of un-ending mishaps. Most people at gigs are non-musicians and drunk so they don't know if you F*ck up or not, but the other musicians in the crowd are laughing their asses off.

Comment

Originally posted by skidd:
        I have a couple of good ones:

My mom came to see us play a pack house at the Rocl and Roll Cafe in Fl. It was the 1st time I had been in fla in about 4 months and she has not seen this band yet. Normal stuff, soundcheck, we are the headliner that night so we set up go check in, then I leave to go get food with my mom and see her new place. I get back to the gig get dress etc, we are about to go on and there are close to 350-400 people. Our set was 3 songs-talk -4 songs talk etc. We go into the 1st three songs, and my tech is yelling for me to look down, my pant had ripped wide open, so there I am balls hanging out to the world for 3 songs with my mom in the crowd, I run back change in to my street clothes (dress pants that night for dinner with my mom)oh yeah we kinda looked like LA Guns, so my tan dress pants looked out of place.

Got hit with a live frog once, and hit hard, the thing was the size of a softball, who in the hell brings that into a club,and how bad did I have to piss him off, to get a spot up front to hit me with it. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This one gets my vote!
        "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

At least you didn't bite the head off the frog like Ozzy did with the bat! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:

While opening for Twisted Sister my 1968 Gibson SG fell off the strap and landed neck down on the stage splitting the headstock down the middle. This happenned while the crowd was boo'ing us and chanting Twisted the entire time until my guitar fell off... then they all roared in laughter.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] That sucks!! The ingrates! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I have many but here are a few:
              While opening for Twisted Sister my 1968 Gibson SG fell off the strap and landed neck down on the stage splitting the headstock down the middle. This happenned while the crowd was boo'ing us and chanting Twisted the entire time until my guitar fell off... then they all roared in laughter.

We used to play in a club called the Crazy Horse in New Rochelle, NY. It was owned by Vinny Pastore (aka Big Pussy). We had a pretty big following that were all pissed when they found out that the club was padlocked shut do to the fact it was raided that morning for drug dealing. We found out when we got there with all of our equipment and the police tape was across the door.
              We played a club called the Showcase in South River NJ. It was a HUGE club with a stage so large you could run across it full speed and have time to stop. They had a killer sound system run by a guy who had his Les Paul plugged into it at the board and played constantly to the songs playing on the house sound system. We set up and were totally stoked to play at such a huge place. We even had to buy tickets to sell of which we didn't sell to many considering it was so far away but we didn't care because this place was huge and we were sure it would be packed. Well...the only people in the audience were our roadies and the entire night we had to hear the guy at the sound board jamming out to us playing for an empty club. Then when the horrible night was over we had to pay him for the tickets we didn't sell and for the use of the PA system. I weighed 126lbs soaking wet and was one of the bigger guys in our power trio and he was a pretty big guy so we took our lumps. The next day I started lifting weights. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] That shit has never nor will ever happen to me again.

Comment

haha, his thread is awesome!!!!

the paula playing soundguy gets my vote!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Working...
                X