Camel Spiders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camel Spiders

Tom - The pic was posted on another board by someone who received it from the sister of a GI currently stationed in Iraq. It's apparently been floating around the 'net for at least a few weeks though.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

http://www.thereedpage.com/site/modu...-CAPTURED!/aad

Puts the size of these foul little bastards into perpsective

We saw a shitload of them when I was over there in the Middle East and playing in the desert (lots of fun, got to blow up ALOT of shit.....22,000lb shot.....took 4 days to set all of the explosives). They never really bothered you, but they are fucking fast, and they do chase you or your truck if it is going slow enough. They chase the shadows as they HATE the sun, and are just looking for the shade. If the shade is moving, they follow it, and it looks like that they are chasing YOU. LOL. It can get pretty unnerving.
      I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Here's the website from that last pic.

http://www.thereedpage.com/site/modu...IDER-CAPTURED!
        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

NO MORE SPIDER THREADS!!!!!!! I just had a heart attack after looking at those spiders...I caught a mosquito on the wall out of the corner of my eye...screamed like a little ***** ...

Mrs LPC [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
            I've got an Entimology class AND an Invertebrate Zoology class
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Crap, I just realized I spelled "Entimology" wrong. Before Ron points the finger, I'll correct it... "Entomology" - A comprehensive study of the largest class of animals, the insects. Ahhhh, should be a fun course!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

mariner is exactly right. That pic has been making the rounds, accompanied by some wild-eyed claims. It doesn't help things that the pic was taken using an old film trick (forced perspective)....that is actually 2 spiders, it looks like they're the whole length of the soldier's leg. However, the spiders are being held close to the camera lens (you can see part of the "holder's" hand). For the exact text, and research about the camel spider, see

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/camelspider.asp

SNOPES TO THE RESCUE AGAIN! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK! I have to chime in on the arachnophobia thing. THere is no other animal on this planet that frightens me like spiders. I actually spend hours looking for and handling snakes, including the venomous kinds here in PA, but anytime I turn over a stump or log and find a big fat hairy spider (I think they are WOlf Spiders)I have damn anxiety attack. Just to recap....YUCK!

Comment

Cool, I've never seen a 10-legged spider before! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

That looks like two spiders locked together ...one looks like it's bitin' the other's ass..

Ass biting is a favorite amoung most arachnids and myself....and Racer X and Cleveland Metal

I had a bloated body crab the size of a dime stuck to the ol' beanbag once ...not good times....me and him played tug 'o war with my left one for 30 minutes ...I had him stuffed and mounted. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

An old girlfriend gave him to me for my birthday present ...that 'lousy' B!tch!!!!!! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[ April 09, 2004, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

NOTP, WHY did you have to post the recluse pics? This really sucks. Dead serious....I am ARACHNOPHOBIC. Yeah, I know, don't open the thread.....I can't even scroll UP to make sure it was NOTP who posted the recluse. Justa guess on my part. BAD, BAD, BAD experience as a kid....permanently screwed up because of it too.
                      Whatever you do, you NEVER tell your young child that if they get bit by a black widow, it'll kill them. Tell then it's gross, not ot touch it, come get mommy or daddy; but DONT tell them it'll kill them. My Mom did cuz she was tryin' to protect me but at the time, my Dad was away in Vietnam so that probably played into it a bit. Then, when I was 4, I was playing badminton, started running backwards to hit the birdie, and I fell.....and ended up on the ground, 2 inches away from the largest spider I had ever seen, one of those yellow and black garden spiders; you know which one I mean dontcha... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I called it the Halloween spider. I screamed and couldn't move, paralyzed with fear; NO SHIT, honest truth. From that point on, I am completely, irrationally, insanely terrified of spiders. To see the word "spider" printed in a magazine or book or screen freaks me out, especially if I don't anticipate it being there. And if I am thumbing thru a book and there's a pic, I'll freakin' launch the book thru a wall; impulse reaction.
                      It sucks. Gotta scan every inch of the garage or basement when I go in there.
                      Yeah, I've heard it all....go do the desensitization therapy....go to a phobia treatment place.....go check yourself in to a mental hospital (that line to be read with sarcasm). Not for me. Get this, I actually SHOT a wolf spider, with a .40 cal Glock. Then there was the time I took an Easton baseball bat to one of them honkin' big-ass, brown, fat, huge fukkers that spin the orb webs around the soffett areas of your house and sometimes they even spread their huge, round web/net between trees. Suddenly you end up with a skull-wrap, spider web and a spider the size of a silver dollar crawlin' up your head. I belted that bastard into the next county. When I smacked it with the bat, it sprayed shards and scraps of spider meat all over the side of the house. I felt better. Talk about..."he died instantly" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

i'm guessing you've never seen the last lord of the rings yet, have you? there's a scene w/ a big ass spider in it. while it maybe fake and computerized, just by reading your fears, i can tell that you would've screamed like a little girl out of the theater. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] nothing against you, i'm just guessing that that's probably what you would do. and NOTP, get some fucking raid or something and kill that fuckin' spider! what, are you keeping it as a pet??? i too hate spiders, but if i know it's fake, then i'm ok.

kevin
                        the trend is dead r.i.p. dime

Comment

tm, I don't suppose you ever saw this movie, then?

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0073043/combined

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

BOO!

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

By tmdiamond:
                              NOTP, WHY did you have to post the recluse pics? This really sucks. Dead serious....I am ARACHNOPHOBIC. Yeah, I know, don't open the thread.....I can't even scroll UP to make sure it was NOTP who posted the recluse.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If that picture was actualy taken by NOTP, it's not a Brown Recluse, if that's what you mean. I doubt it is based on size anyway. It's nasty as hell any way you look at it though [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] . Yeah, I'm not a big spider guy myself. Spiders and snakes just seem wrong to me [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] . I know, I know, they serve a purpose, but they're just plain wrong.......

Comment

spiders are cool. I had one of those in my bug collection back in elementary school. it was a small one I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X