Pic of me somePLACE famous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pic of me somePLACE famous

Intimidation is what the beard's all about. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Hmmm...This looks like MI's recording studio. If so, it looks like they didn"t do any major changes for the last five years.

Fong

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleonfong:
        Hmmm...This looks like MI's recording studio. If so, it looks like they didn"t do any major changes for the last five years.

Fong
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's not MI. This is Sunset Sound Studios, which is actually only about two blocks away. However, Sunset isn't a school, it's a major recording studio for Capitol Records.

Comment

This is probably a very obvious, duh duh type of question, but just how much do those Neumann mics rock?

I assume the ones micing the cabs have very flat frequency curves, no?

Comment

Honestly, I don't know which mics we used to record, that was the other guys' call. I do know that there were three mics per speaker, a Neumann, an SM57 and another common one I can't remember the name of.

Comment

Originally posted by Infernal Death:
              I am still searching for a place where i can buy some St'Yves transformers for building myself a Neve module. They are supposed to be very cool on guitars since they are so colored.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I do wish I knew what you're talking about. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Someone on here did mention a Sennheiser mic being a great mic for loud metal guitar. I think the model was called MD421 [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] . I'm thinking of getting one myself. At the moment that probably won't work for me, since I'm running a rather quiet rig.

Comment

Ace, good to see you drop by. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                Hmm it's hard to see from the pics but this other mic could be a Sennheiser, as their dynamics are also popular for micing amps.
                Very nice racks in the pics. Hmm 1176ln's, LA2A's and pultec's [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                I am still searching for a place where i can buy some St'Yves transformers for building myself a Neve module. They are supposed to be very cool on guitars since they are so colored.

Flo
                http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja Guitar:
                  </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Infernal Death:
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I do wish I knew what you're talking about. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Someone on here did mention a Sennheiser mic being a great mic for loud metal guitar. I think the model was called MD421 [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] . I'm thinking of getting one myself. At the moment that probably won't work for me, since I'm running a rather quiet rig.
                  </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well you sometimes (mostly on high-end gear) have transformers in the signal path. Normally right after the input and right before the output. They handle the balanced signals coming in and going out. Also they change the impedance (depending on the transformer).
                  Putting aside the designer thoughts and physical abilities. What really matters is that they can change the sound of a unit quite dramatically. Neve modules (at least the old discrete ones) are known for a special sound which comes a big time from the used transformers. Those are Marinair transformers, now manufactured by St'Yves. So if you ever think about building a Neve clone and want it to sound as close as possible to the real deal there is no other way than using Marinair/St'Yves transformers. And that's why i am on the search for some as i want to build a 1071 and 1081 module somewhere in the future (going for the full eq versions so i will also need the inductors).

Yes the Sennheiser MD421 is a quite often used alternative to the Shure SM57. Actually there are quite some people who like it way more than the SM57, especially for heavier sounds. Or often it's used together with a SM57 as the SM57 has a quite midrangy sound and the MD412 picks up the highs and lows better.
                  Right now i am recording in my room so i too can't crank the amp very much. But i found that with my self-build tube mic preamp i have no problems amplify the rather low signal to a level which is suitable for hitting the converters of the soundcard (best of course it's right under 0db). As it has 2 tube stages i like to crank the first tube stage and then use the output tube stage to raise the signal enough for what i am aiming for in terms of signal strength. That's the cool thing with mic preamp which have 2 volume knobs. You can not only make it louder or more silent, you can also change the tone by cranking either one of the stages.

Flo
                  http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Cool.

I'm also a bedroom recorder. For now I'm just using a multitrack tape recorder, and I record using a $16 dynamic mic. I have no problem getting a strong signal with this setup, and I don't even crank my amp. Doesn't sound half bad, either. Not the best sounds, mind you, but pretty good for such cheap gear. The studio/sound recording classes I've taken have really helped me get more out of my gear than I thought possible. I can also go to a real studio and use their systems without too much trouble shooting.

Comment

Working...
                    X