Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you ask the seller for the serial number when buying a used guitar? STOLEN GUITAR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you ask the seller for the serial number when buying a used guitar? STOLEN GUITAR?

You guys know I have a passion (obsession?) for deal hunting and deal sharing, which comprises a large chunk of my JCF posting activity.

I recently came across some nice deals on other guitar brands, but I didn't talk about them on JCF since they were pretty far outside the "shredder guitar" realm.

The guitars I spotted locally were a mint condition Kiesel CT3 with G&G OHSC for the equivalent of USD$380, and a mint condition Fender American Series Stratocaster with SKB OHSC for the equivalent of USD$420. One image of each is linked below.

Since I'm not an expert in Kiesels and Fenders, I asked about each guitar in the appropriate Kiesel and Fender groups on Facebook.

With the Kiesel, the Facebook users recommended I obtain paperwork and proof of purchase to ensure the guitar was not stolen, especially when it was being offered for that low price. The seller also volunteered to make the 40min drive to bring the guitar to me. I've never had that offered to me before, and my intuition told me that perhaps the seller was too eager to dump the guitar. The combination of all these factors ultimately made me pass on the deal. If you're interested in reading the whole Facebook thread, click here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1531...0593082665285/

With the Fender, the Facebook users recommended that I ask the seller for the serial number, which can apparently be checked online for legitimacy. When I asked the seller, he would not disclose the serial number, which led some users to suspect the guitar was stolen, and then raised the asking price to USD$540. These factors ultimately made me pass on this deal too. If you're interested in reading the whole Facebook thread, click here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/fend...8343427202879/

Note that I am not desperate to add guitars to the collection. If the deal is easy and the price is right, I'll jump on it. If there are obstacles, I don't mind passing. I like my low-hanging fruit, and my orchard is large and abundant enough as it is.

Anyone else experience any similar scenarios where you weren't initially suspicious, but ended up cautious because of others? I think it's good to bounce ideas around with experts, but in the above two scenarios, were the experts overly cautious or correct to be suspicious? I don't recall ever letting an absence of serial numbers dissuade me in my deal hunting for Jackson, Charvel, ESP, and Ibanez, where I DO have some (debatable ) expertise and feel more comfortable in my own decisions and instincts.

I haven't experienced that with guitars, but I have with a couple of guns. The weirdness was enough to keep me away from them. I learned the lesson of "if it sounds too good to be true then it must be too good to be true" on the 357 Customs - Zakk Wylde fiasco years ago.

If anything gives me the hee bee jee bees I just move on. Not worth the hassle and potential for problems. Just as an aside. I have an 03 Curio and Relic FFL, and I don't need the headache or hassle from something of suspect origin. I'd rather pay fair market value and deal with someone who is reputable than have to worry about "complications".

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
      The weirdness was enough to keep me away from them. I learned the lesson of "if it sounds too good to be true then it must be too good to be true" on the 357 Customs - Zakk Wylde fiasco years ago.
      I agree. Lately, the smallest red flags can dissuade me entirely. Better safe than sorry.

Maybe my heebee jeebies come from inexperience, as in the case with the Kiesel and Fender. I know next to nothing about products from those brands. If it was a Jackson, Charvel, ESP, or Ibanez at a low price, I would have no hesitation jumping on it, and have done so a few times in the past couple years since I know what I'm looking at and they're in my comfort zone. Not once did I ask for a serial number for the guitar brands I know reasonably well, or suspect the item was stolen or being fenced.

Maybe I should stick around and learn more about other brands, so when the next deal comes up, I could inspect the item in person myself and rely on my own intuition that has served me well for the brands I do know well.

Comment

THAT'S MY FENDER!! lol jk but yea you did the right thing. It's hard to pass on a good deal but too many red flags man. Other deals will come along in time

Comment

$400-450 seems about right for an ordinary/standard used Carvin. They may cost an arm and a leg to buy new, as does any custom/ordered guitar, but they have no resale. New, that guitar, because it is pretty much a base model, cost $1000 (give or take, based on year).
          And yes, I have had people deliver to me because they needed immediate cash. One fella drove roughly 2 hours in the snow for $600 worth of gear because we couldn't get our schedules together for before the day he needed the money by. The snow day was the only day we were both available, but I refused to drive that far in the snow.

Do I ask for serial numbers?
          Yes, but I only ask for partial numbers because if the shoe was on the other foot, I only give out partial serial numbers. I would ask for, and provide, the first few digits and the format - such as 7 numbers starting with 98, 5 digits starting with J4. Just enough to verify the vital information, but not enough to give up security.

Comment

Personally since joining JCF I've learned tons about Jackson import guitars and further research online has revealed more things to look for.
            Every guitar I've considered buying over the last month (All Jacksons except maybe 2 Charvels) before I finally pulled the trigger on the KVX10 I now have I requested pictures of the bridge up close, full disclosure of serial number via neck plate pic and pics that help identify it as a mij vs non mij.

If the seller cant be bothered to disclose these then it's a deal breaker for me.
            The serial number isn't a social insurance number, it's on a guitar. I'll gladly do the same for a buyer if there serious about buying.

Personally i would have backed off both guitars as well as i did myself on quite a few recently due to misrepresentation of the actual product and failure to provide basic details or shady activity.
            Ended up with a sweet deal from a great seller who was willing to work with me to close the deal on my V.

Comment

I'll ask for a serial or partial serial
              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Buying guitars used in Denmark are mostly a safe and secure thing and if you know what to look for its pretty fair.

So serials are never something I ask for.
                What Is Paying For Your Passion For Being A Guitarist?

Comment

100%! You definitely need to get the serial number. Heck I even ask for a copy of the original receipt when buying used ANYTHING! Sorry but I don't want any bad karma if it's stolen.
                  Last edited by Thirdriff; 03-21-2019, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Just wanted to mention..... The Kiesel CT3 is a set-neck instrument, so whatever serial number it has will apply to the whole guitar, while the serial on the Strat technically only applies to the neck which could have been swapped onto a Squier body or who knows what. Plus, there's far more risk of counterfeiting with Fender, Gibson, Jackson, Ibanez, etc..... than Kiesel.
                    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Don't ask/don't tell when it comes to stolen goods lol

As to craigslist type people, some seem to have this opinion that chatty people are basement dwelling detail-oriented hardware maniac geeks with no money, who just miss someone to talk to...or something.

A lot of the time, "if it checks out, I'll buy ca$h within the hour (or whenever is good for you)" suddenly motivates the loving hell out of em.

Also works wonders when lowballing 20-30%... see something for $650ish, text em "offer: can pick up within the hour, $500 cash" and oftentimes they're all kinds of happy

Comment

I stopped providing full SNs to prospective buyers when I started seeing scam sellers on eBay using my pics & SNs in sham listings. If buyers choose to pass as a result that's fine as I'm an extremely unmotivated seller.

However I'll usually ask for a SN from a seller. It's not necessarily a deal-breaker if they provide only a partial, just once bit of evidence to be considered with others when deciding whether or not to proceed.
                        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Giving out the serial # willy-nilly can result in a false report being filed, and the cops come and take you and it away and you have to provide legal defense. Paperwork can be faked well enough to convince the cops who aren't going to do any detective work.

As long as you have the seller's name and address (this is why it's important to have it shipped over face-to-face), if upon receipt you find the item had been reported stolen, and verified it was never recovered, you can contact a lawyer and the authorities and proceed from there. You need to get your money back just as much as the owner needs their property back, and the thief needs to either go to jail or at least spend most of their life on the run from a guy with a pair of bolt cutters.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've become leery of buying used from individuals for this very reason. You can buy a guitar that's 30 years old and has been through 18 different owners. BUT.... if it was EVER stolen from one of them in its entire history, guess what? It legally belongs to that individual if you're caught with it.

If you bought it from a music store or pawn shop, you can generally get your money back. If you bought it from a stranger off craigslist, good luck.
                            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                              You can buy a guitar that's 30 years old and has been through 18 different owners. BUT....
                              That happened to my cousin. An old guitar with numerous owners. He went to insure it and was told it was stolen.
                              It took the cops months of investigating the various owners, but he did eventually get his money back.

Comment

Working...
                              X