Any Hammock Campers here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Hammock Campers here?

Just curious if anyone else here is a newbie or experienced Hammock camper. Depending on how much I end up liking or hating my SMR Pare's and Nube, I may be looking at getting the Dutchware Chameleon. I have some 1/8 amsteel continuous loops and 1/8 amesteel whoopie slings coming my way along with a couple dutch biners. Since California is currently on fire, not sure there'll be a tree left to hang from, but I'm starting to eye some places and hope for the best.
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

I've done quite a bit of tent camping, but never hammock camping. I rough it out on a queen size inflatable Coleman air mattress and a sleeping bag with at least two of my favorite pillows. Yeah, I rough it...

Casa Del Farley is the blue tent home away from home on fishing trips. My best friend is in the foreground on his pontoon floating by the camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
      I've done quite a bit of tent camping, but never hammock camping. I rough it out on a queen size inflatable Coleman air mattress and a sleeping bag with at least two of my favorite pillows. Yeah, I rough it...

Casa Del Farley is the blue tent home away from home on fishing trips. My best friend is in the foreground on his pontoon floating by the camp.

Daaaaamn that is nice! I'm wanting to do some solo stuff, get away from people entirely. I have a TarpTent that I just bought (almost 600 bucks for it) that I may take out for it, but really hoping to take the hammock so I can be off the ground

Comment

Yes, I have been a hammock camper for about 10 years now, wouldn't catch me on the ground again, that's for peasants! I can sleep for 8+ hours in one straight, something I can never manage in a bed, I just keep waking up every few hours.

Started with the DD hammocks, had various models, just finishing converting one to a bridge hammock and looking forward to getting out again next month. Amsteel whoopie slings and DD tarp. Make sure you have some webbing straps to put around the tree trunks, some people will get really pissed off if they see you just slinging the Amsteel round, and it won't do any soft-bark trees any good. If you use webbing, there's less chance of hammock camping getting banned, as I believe has happened in some places because of tree damage (real or perceived).

Not sure of the climate where you are, but my top tip would be to get yourself an underquilt. I found that even in warmer parts of Europe, I'd sometimes get cold in the middle of the night. Sleeping pads didn't help much, always a fucking elbow or butt cheek not quite covered, but an underquilt creates an air-pocket, so I'm always toasty, no matter the weather. If anything, it sometimes gets too hot!

In all the time I've camped, I've only failed to find 2 or 3 suitable hanging sites, but last year I bought a DD Handy Hammock stand, and it is brilliant. Not as brilliant as two trees, obviously, but in future I might not have to visit more than one site before I find a suitable location. I can just roll up, and it's either trees or the stand. Lightweight and fits in my motorbike panniers perfectly.

Once you've spent a few nights in a hammock, you really won't want to ever lie on cold hard earth in a tent again.
        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

I just got my Dutchware Gear 11 foot in the mail, have already set it up, soooo comfy.
          I have several sets up tree hungers, mostly 1 inch, but I just got the 2 inch set of the web straps. Yeah if I see someone using rope or amsteel I let them borrow my spare set. I'm running 1/8 Amsteel continual loops on my Pares, and my Go Outfitters, the new Dutchware gear hammock has 4 inch amsteel. and I'm running 1/8 Amsteel whoopie slings to my webbing. I am looking to get rid of my bed and just sleep in a hammock at home, easier to replace then a matress and less washing to do then bed linen. so.

Oh, yeah I have a -10c top quilt and bottom quilt, actually looking to get something else, those are both really bulky. Been looking at Jacks R Better and the 20° Carolina Reaper Underquilt from Loco Libre. Stuff is pricey but apparently worth it. it'll be worth it to me just to have the extra space in my pack.

I'm in California, home of the tree huggers, you'd be surprised how hard it is to find a tree to hang from in this area. I'm using a Tato Gear Stand in home which is portable (25 pounds) but I got it mostly to start sleeping in the hammock at home.

Can't wait for October to roll around, i'm heading (if I can get a permit) up to Yosemite for some camping, can not wait!

Comment

Working...
          X