Best city(ies) for rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best city(ies) for rock

This thread has nothing to do with Charvels/Jacksons, but this seemed closest to an appropriate forum for this topic.

I'm in my mid 20s, and I'm actually thinking about going for it. I'm talking about chasing the dream. The problem is I'm a hard rock guy in Nashville. Nashville is not a hard rock town.

I'm looking for a good city wherein hard rock musicians would be more abundant.

I would like to open this thread up for suggestions, so if you've got some suggestions please share.

Thanks!

I saw your posts about Nashville in another thread. I always thought Nashville was a great place to be a country musician but recently heard rumors about it being a general music mecca for all genres (though still heavily biased towards country). Since you are providing anecdotes to the contrary, I may have to go back to my old way of thinking.

If you're willing to move to Canada, my trips to Montreal have demonstrated there is a lively metal scene there. Since it's about a 2h drive from me, I go there for metal shows that don't visit my hometown of Ottawa. (Many of them visit Montreal and Toronto, skipping the in-between "smaller city" of Ottawa.) Montreal is English/French bilingual and you wouldn't struggle being an Anglophone. Also... Montreal girls are very attractive and tend to be wild...

Comment

There are three things in Nashville:

1. Pansy-ass indie rock played by hipster fruitcakes.

2. Idiotic bro-country bar bands who play for breathtakingly stupid tourists.

3. Cutesy little teeny "singer-songwriter" girls who look like they were born with silver spoons in their mouths playing their $3,000 Taylor acoustic guitars and singing their Taylor Swift-esque songs.

Absolutely no rock to be found anywhere. You even mention "rock" in Nashville you get deer-in-headlights looks from people. I put out ads on the Nashville CL all the time want to form/join rock bands and I get the same three weirdos replying to them every time.

I'm looking for a place where I can find people who want to form bands. Not pretentious douche bags looking for "paid gigs", or "established acts", or "looking to collaborate on songs". Goddamnit I could fucking kill people! Lame fucks!

Comment

Texas has a really strong hard rock scene doesn't it? There's a lot of everything in the SF bay area, but cost of living and maybe getting drowned out by not big enough of a market... dunno how LA is, probably similarly bad.

A lot of people are recording click track and collaborating online. A good friend just released a project like this and a few artists I follow are even doing this.

I'm surprised you can't find anything in the Nashville area. Despite my sarcasm in the other thread, I thought most types of music did well there.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
          I'm surprised you can't find anything in the Nashville area. Despite my sarcasm in the other thread, I thought most types of music did well there.
          Either I'm right about how horrible it is, or I'm just a horrible networker.

Comment

Early-mid 2000's FL seemed to be a hot spot? Not really sure TBH

Comment

Agentx... don't mean to sound bitter, or rain on yr parade. But hard rock in the US is dead. If you want to "make it", meaning have a career in music? Get comfortable playing bro country, or backing a hot Taylor swift looking sellout. Rap, bro country, and 20 yr old Disney chicks are the only "music" left here. You wanna "make it" in a hard rock/metal band? Move to Europe. The chances of a hard rock/metal band becoming huge here now are about as good as winning the powerball.
              Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

You haven't heard? Metal is dead and it's never coming back. A guy in Nashville was just telling everyone in another thread
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Try Louisville Ky tons of venues that do hard rock.
                  The band I tech for has 2 gigs there next month.
                  Try and contact a band in Knoxville called Mass Driver we have done shows with them here in Lexington Ky and shows in Louisville Ky as well.

Just a side note chase that dream all you want just understand you may be a great band but 1% out of 100 get a record deal.
                  Produce your own stuff and get your music out on social media.Cut out the record companies and the ass hole managers/ agents.
                  Record a shit ton of material and hit up underground and normal radio stations to play your stuff.
                  Get in touch with 107.3 The Point radio station in Elizabethtown Ky offer them some demos or current CDs you have out and ask for some exposure.
                  Great bunch of guys.
                  Last edited by straycat; 11-13-2017, 10:35 PM.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

1 out of 100 jg? Now it's more like 1/1 million.

Comment

Originally posted by clifffclaven View Post
                      1 out of 100 jg? Now it's more like 1/1 million.
                      So you're telling me there's a chance? YEAH!!!

Comment

I live in Milford, CT. The New Haven county/Fairfield county areas are chock full of 80's pop, rock and metal bands. There are virtually NO blues bands, a few classic rock bands, a few 90's hard rock and metal bands and that's it. 90% of the bands around here are all playing the same 80's metal songs. You could go to 10 venues and hear the same 80's metal songs. The reason for this is simple. The 80's music crowd comprises of people in their late 40's to mid 50's. That's what all the venues that have bands are full of. These people... for the most part... have kids that are grown up enough to not need baby sitters so mom and dad can go out and rock! You rarely see anybody under 40 at any of these venues.. and there are a ton of them. The 21-30 crowd are all at dance clubs or sports bars. The 30-40 crowd are all home with their kids. In about 5 years or so.... the 80's crowd will be getting a little too old to go out clubbing and the 30-40 crowd will take their place and if history is correct.... 80's music will go bye bye and 90's music will be the new flavor.

Comment

My region is like the CT description in the city. Get out to the rural bars, heavy country music and leanings toward hard rock/metal.
                          I live in a mostly rural state and area. We play to a lot of country folks. The 20-30 yr old rural people do like country but they getting heavier each year. Nobody wants to slow dance or line dance. The guys with boots and Carthart clothes are drinkers and partiers. We can play Jason Aldean, Dirks Bentley stuff and kick it in the ass with a Slayer tone. The crowd loves it! If we play Pantera, it's game over. You have now uncorked the metal and all those country boys are moshing - boots are flying, beer is spilling & guzzlin', bar owner is happy. Those boys are through hearing country for the rest of the night. Throw in "Bodies" and it's all out indoor rodeo.

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
                            My region is like the CT description in the city. Get out to the rural bars, heavy country music and leanings toward hard rock/metal.
                            I live in a mostly rural state and area. We play to a lot of country folks. The 20-30 yr old rural people do like country but they getting heavier each year. Nobody wants to slow dance or line dance. The guys with boots and Carthart clothes are drinkers and partiers. We can play Jason Aldean, Dirks Bentley stuff and kick it in the ass with a Slayer tone. The crowd loves it! If we play Pantera, it's game over. You have now uncorked the metal and all those country boys are moshing - boots are flying, beer is spilling & guzzlin', bar owner is happy. Those boys are through hearing country for the rest of the night. Throw in "Bodies" and it's all out indoor rodeo.
                            lol, I live in Des Moines.... we are the biggest hard rock/metal draw here... and it gets smaller and smaller every year, unfortunately. 40-50 crowd is dwindling. 90s tunes (with a few exceptions) are "im so depressed" shoe gazers. Forget about 2000-now tunes. "Bro country" covers are the way to go. I'm 48, I give our band 5 years, max.

Comment

Might I just say that I find 99.99999% of human beings to be breathtakingly idiotic cognitive misers without the slightest bit of personal integrity or ability to think outside of the parameters defined by the majority? It is literally offensive to me how stupid people are, and how rudderless they are without the majority telling them what to do, what to like, and what to think about things, etc. No, I'm not being facetious. I'd be pleased if the human species decreased in number by a little bit. I'm blown away (literally blown away) daily by the extent of intellectual laziness and stupidity I witness from most people I encounter. It is so breathtaking to me that I sometimes wonder if I'm the one with the problem. It makes me question my sanity, which leads to severe (and I mean SEVERE) depression. I'm baffled and dumbstruck by just how lame-brained, co-dependent, and vacuous most people are in their thinking and decision making.

This fact is why I feel the current landscape of popular music is as unbelievably, horrifyingly terrible as it is. There is literally not a single goddamn thing about bro-country that is worth the slightest modicum of anyone's time or attention. Is is the most obviously unauthentic, artificial, and vapid horse shit the cerebral cortexes of retarded human beings could ever generate. Yet, every night in downtown Nashville, the same type of vacuous people mentioned in the above paragraph flock down there to party and dance to it.

I have similar opinions of most other styles of music that are currently vitiating the music world and popular culture. FUCK THE GODDAMN WORLD! IDIOTS!!!!!
                              Last edited by AgentX; 11-15-2017, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X