Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for dirt bike advice

Hey Guys,

Never owned one, have wanted one for 30+ years, rode one brief time, loved it. Any general buying advice, such as brand, engine size, 2/4 cycle, size (I'm not a big guy - 5'5). Would not be racing, but can see myself spending more time on a dirt track rather than a trail in the woods. I'm mechanically inclined, don't mind doing maintenance myself. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies
    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

If you're mechanically inclined then two stroke is the way to go. Easier to work on and way less maintenance involved. They are becoming a thing of the past thought thanks to our government and the EPA emissions fight. If I were in the market for a dirt bike I'd be on a two stroke, but I'm old school that way. Four strokes are easier to start, and have a even power across the throttle spectrum. Four strokes have way more maintenance involved, and are harder to work on.

My background is eight years as a parts and service manager at a motorcycle and ATV shop if that makes any difference. Spent thirteen before that in automotive.

Oh, stick with metric bikes like Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Honda. KTM isn't a bad choice either, just harder to find a shop and parts department that will service them. Suzuki has went downhill the past few years. In a two stroke I'd recommend a 125, and in a four stroke I'd say a 250.
    Last edited by Razor; 05-11-2017, 03:57 PM.

Comment

If you need any Dirt Box advice, I'm your man!
      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Thanks for the great advice Razor! Much respect due to your background!
        "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

All I do know, concerning dirtracing, is you better be of sturdy build and stamina
          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I grew up racing motocross in the 80s into the early 90s. I've been a 2 stroke guy forever. Owned and maintained a host of KX125s and 250s, even had the chance to raced a 500...

Currently own a 1995 KTM 250sx and just recently picked up a 2017 350sx-f.

I'll second Razor in sticking with one of the 3 out of Japan. KTMs are generally a little pricier. I'm lucky to have a fairly local shop and I know the guys there. I've never been a fan of Suzuki. We had a running joke on a couple motorcycle forums that there was No Excuse™ for Suzuki ownership.

If you're looking for an entry level bike just to tool around on, I'd push something like a Yamaha TTR230. It's an air cooled 4 stroke, not high strung like a modern MX bike. Put gas in, change the oil, clean the air filter and just ride. If you plan to ride fairly often and get better quickly, you'll likely out grow it in a season and be looking for something a little more robust.

You'd probably get a whole lot of life out of a 125 MX bike if you're not racing or beating on it all the time, but yes there's some maintenance involved. Top end and clutch replacements come to mind. Lots of them if you race, but they are a much simpler machine than the new 4 strokes.

I've said for a long time that I'd never own a modern 4 banger. That would be the day I admit that I'm old. Well, I'm old. My brother convinced me that the 350 is the ultimate old man bike. When my 250 had an issue at the track my friends let me do a couple sessions on their bikes. A YZ250f, KTM 350sx-f and a KTM 450sx-f. I've ridden 4s before but the 350f was the perfect middle. More power than the 250f and not as tiring as the 450. Like the ultimate 250 2-stroke but easier to ride due to the tractor like power. Pump gas, oil change every couple rides, and a clean air filter. Screw it, I'm old. Nothing like breaking in a brand new bike. I had sipped the Kool Aid and I'm at a point where if the new one needs major maintenance, I'll drop it at the shop and have them do it.

Good luck picking something up, happy bike shopping!
            Ride fast, take chances!
            Last edited by artonsafari; 05-27-2017, 10:10 AM.
            Any way you could possibly put more shit into your sig?

Comment

Originally posted by artonsafari View Post
              I grew up racing motocross in the 80s into the early 90s. I've been a 2 stroke guy forever. Owned and maintained a host of KX125s and 250s, even had the chance to raced a 500...

Currently own a 1995 KTM 250sx and just recently picked up a 2017 350sx-f.

I'll second Razor in sticking with one of the 3 out of Japan. KTMs are generally a little pricier. I'm lucky to have a fairly local shop and I know the guys there. I've never been a fan of Suzuki. We had a running joke on a couple motorcycle forums that there was No Excuse™ for Suzuki ownership.

If you're looking for an entry level bike just to tool around on, I'd push something like a Yamaha TTR230. It's an air cooled 4 stroke, not high strung like a modern MX bike. Put gas in, change the oil, clean the air filter and just ride. If you plan to ride fairly often and get better quickly, you'll likely out grow it in a season and be looking for something a little more robust.

You'd probably get a whole lot of life out of a 125 MX bike if you're not racing or beating on it all the time, but yes there's some maintenance involved. Top end and clutch replacements come to mind. Lots of them if you race, but they are a much simpler machine than the new 4 strokes.

I've said for a long time that I'd never own a modern 4 banger. That would be the day I admit that I'm old. Well, I'm old. My brother convinced me that the 350 is the ultimate old man bike. When my 250 had an issue at the track my friends let me do a couple sessions on their bikes. A YZ250f, KTM 350sx-f and a KTM 450sx-f. I've ridden 4s before but the 350f was the perfect middle. More power than the 250f and not as tiring as the 450. Like the ultimate 250 2-stroke but easier to ride due to the tractor like power. Pump gas, oil change every couple rides, and a clean air filter. Screw it, I'm old. Nothing like breaking in a brand new bike. I had sipped the Kool Aid and I'm at a point where if the new one needs major maintenance, I'll drop it at the shop and have them do it.

Good luck picking something up, happy bike shopping!
              Ride fast, take chances!
              Damn good advice right there!

Comment

Working...
              X