Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone here tried a GFS Heavy Duty Floyd yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone here tried a GFS Heavy Duty Floyd yet?

I'll admit I'm a fan of their pickups, but it took a lot of research before I made the decision to try those out. I'm kind of doing the same 20th this unit here:
    http://www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-Heav...EEL_p_518.html
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

You do realize that's a licensed copy, right? Very few copies are as good as the original Floyd. Schaller and the Ibanez Lo-Pro come to mind.

Having said that, I've ordered a few things from GFS and so far, it's all been top notch.
    Last edited by PowerTube; 03-03-2017, 09:01 PM.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I have a number of their pickups and their support is really good, but I haven't tried their bridges yet. I honestly can't imagine that it's bad, as they seem to try to keep their stuff to a high standard, might be a risk to buy one, but maybe not. You may want to ask them about their return policy then there's less at risk.
      In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

I have one of their single-coil sized rail humbuckers in one Strat and a Duncan Hot Rails in a another one. Honestly, I like the GFS version just as much and it's a lot cheaper.

I also have one of their brass Strat sustain block/bridge combinations and it's also very nice.
        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Interesting! Keep us posted if you buy one. I wonder how it compares to a cheap "Floyd Rose Special". Got one of those on a LTD model and having issues of stability with it.
          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
            You do realize that's a licensed copy, right? Very few copies are as good as the original Floyd. Schaller and the Ibanez Lo-Pro come to mind.
            Gotoh makes highly respected tremolos. As you mentioned, the Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge, but also the Ibanez Edge (aka "Original Edge") and the Gotoh GE1996T High Stability Tremolo System (http://g-gotoh.com/international/product/ge1996t.html and analyzed and reviewed by xenophobe here: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/133...ighlight=gotoh) are well-made trems with great build quality.

For this GFS trem, I'd be curious to know more about the metals that comprise it. It mentions solid steel baseplate, steel studs with bronze inserts, brass sustain block... but nothing about the other components like the saddles. The fact that they don't mention the saddles being steel leads me to believe they are hiding the possibility that they might NOT be made of steel, but perhaps zinc alloy (like the Floyd Rose Special). Because in marketing, if something is a selling point, YOU WILL BE PROUD TO DECLARE IT.
            Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 03-04-2017, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
              Gotoh makes highly respected tremolos. As you mentioned, the Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge, but also the Ibanez Edge (aka "Original Edge") and the Gotoh GE1996T High Stability Tremolo System (http://g-gotoh.com/international/product/ge1996t.html and analyzed and reviewed by xenophobe here: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/133...ighlight=gotoh) are well-made trems with great build quality.

For this GFS trem, I'd be curious to know more about the metals that comprise it. It mentions solid steel baseplate, steel studs with bronze inserts, brass sustain block... but nothing about the other components like the saddles. The fact that they don't mention the saddles being steel leads me to believe they are hiding the possibility that they might NOT be made of steel, but perhaps zinc alloy (like the Floyd Rose Special). Because in marketing, if something is a selling point, YOU WILL BE PROUD TO DECLARE IT.

Good point NOTP! The issue I have with my Floyd Special are the insert blocks. The strings slips out of them too easily.
              JB aka BenoA

Comment

Never had one problem with a FR special or Gotoh floyd either.
                This may be a decent unit so give it a try and see how you like it.

BenoA when clipping the ball ends off be sure you clip off the fat part of the windings as well.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  BenoA when clipping the ball ends off be sure you clip off the fat part of the windings as well.
                  I always do. I don't know if I got a bad unit or what but the Special I have gives me tuning nightmares. I own many guitars with whammy bars, and this one is a serious piece of crap.

I'm thinking switching it for a Gotoh. Just need to verify the dimensions first.
                  JB aka BenoA

Comment

Because of the baseplate, these look like drop in replacements for the old Takeuchi trems
                    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                    X