Picked up an Amp head today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up an Amp head today

Found a 1982 Carvin X-60B head the other day , scored it fairly cheap brought it home and messed with it a little bit .. perfect for 80's metal raw with no pedals or processors. After fooling around with it for about an hour I decided to clean it up , it was pretty dusty inside , so after unplugging and letting it sit for about an hour or so I pulled the chassis out and cleaned it up... the bass pot was fuzzy and crackling when I turned it so I cleaned that with quick dry electronics cleaner and worked it back and forth a few times. I cleaned the case as well and put it back together and left it alone for the night. Next day fired it up and the fucking footswitch 'Channel' button quit working, Effect 1 & Effect 2 switches still work but now I can't switch between the Rhythm and Lead channels and I'm stuck on the lead channel until I find away around it or fix it. The footswitch plugs in using an XLR connector.

Anyway here's a look at the head and Imma get that footswitch fixed. I need to read up on this amp head, donno if that toggle switch next to the EQ is supposed to actually switch the channels or not... says Lead on top and Rhythm on bottom... when I used the footswitch the red lights to the far right light up over there volume knobs... but that switch only seems to drown the sound if on the opposite channel. Donno, I'll figure it out, but if you know anything about these the info would be much appreciated. Oh! and hook this up to a processor and use the push pulls and it's beast mode! \m/ . I also located one of those old Jackson/Charvel cases with the round logo for a strat body guitar , case looks really nice, it's tight and all latches and hinges are in perfect working order, if anyone is interested $65.00 takes it and I'll give ya the number to the shop I found it in... I have pics of it as well.

Last edited by Jackson8090s; 01-20-2017, 11:32 PM.
    \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

If it works like my X100B, the lead/rhythm switch near the power switch controls whether the graphic EQ is working on the lead or rhythm channel
    Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
      If it works like my X100B, the lead/rhythm switch near the power switch controls whether the graphic EQ is working on the lead or rhythm channel
      That's correct. It only selects which channel the EQ applies to.

Nice score, OP. I bought a used X100B back in 1990, made the mistake of trading it against a Marshall a few years later, then bought a new reissue in 2015:

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I had an original X100B 1/2 stack and a 50 watt 1/2 stack but I can't remember the model name for sure Valve master something like that.
        Yes that switch is for the EQ.
        Try cleaning the XLR cable ends and the XLR inputs and see if that helps before you take the foot switch apart.
        Sounds like a dirty switch button to me but thats just my opinion.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
          Nice score, OP. I bought a used X100B back in 1990, made the mistake of trading it against a Marshall a few years later, then bought a new reissue in 2015:
          How does the 2015 reissue sound compared to the original ? Same amount of gain ?

Comment

Originally posted by lepard View Post
            How does the 2015 reissue sound compared to the original ? Same amount of gain ?
            Honestly, it's been too long since I had the original for me to make a comparison. Mine was an older one, before the mid-80's when they started making them "hot-rodded right out of the box!" and it had the same "long tail" logo as the reissue.

Comment

Frigo89, If it works like my X100B, the lead/rhythm switch near the power switch controls whether the graphic EQ is working on the lead or rhythm channel
              Thanks man.

Power Tube , That's correct. It only selects which channel the EQ applies to.

Thanks... I believe we've all made mistakes like that, lucky for you the vintage x100's are the more popular and can still be scooped up at a fair price. . I'm sure the reissue gets it done just the same tho

Straycat,Try cleaning the XLR cable ends and the XLR inputs and see if that helps before you take the foot switch apart.
              Sounds like a dirty switch button to me
              I did, it didn't resolve the issue, thanks for the reply.

My bro seems to think the FET is bad , but that's via phone diagnosis from my description of the events leading up to it not working. This thing is old and it's still sporting the factory Carvin Premium tubes in all sockets. My guess is , as dusty and dirty as it was inside I washed away whatever was making it work with quick dry electronic cleaner or a little static electricity .... my curiosity combined with OCD for cleanliness was probably my worse enemy in this one LOL. Oh well... needed a reason to spend money on it and now I got one... at least its most likely cheap stuff to replace... now to get it up to PA so I can let the mad scientist dig in and do his thing.
              \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Great amps indeed and you can pick them up relatively cheap.
                The original X100Bs were not all that high gain like some people assume and the bottom end lacked a little thump without an OD pedal to push it.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  Great amps indeed and you can pick them up relatively cheap.
                  The original X100Bs were not all that high gain like some people assume and the bottom end lacked a little thump without an OD pedal to push it.
                  Yeah. They had about as much gain as a Plexi, if even that. Just for the giggles, I wouldn't mind to someday try one of the mid/late 80's "Fuzzy" types, which were supposed to be hot-rodded. I suspect that even those would still need a pedal.

I love the EQ on them. It's very powerful.

Comment

The EQ was very sensitive on my old one.
                    I used an old Maxon 808 to push the amp and that was the only pedal I used.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                      The EQ was very sensitive on my old one.
                      The reissue is the same way. Every little push of any slider makes a noticeable difference.

Comment

Working...
                      X