NGD: Springfield Armory M1A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: Springfield Armory M1A

Picked up a major bucket list rifle today at a local gun show earlier today. Traded around for this Springfield M1A Standard. I've been wanting one for a long time, and couldn't pass up the deal on it. I can't wait to get this one to the range to see what it can do!

So nice. That and a 1903 and I would feel pretty satisfied

Comment

Grats! Love my M1A.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Nice, is it vintage? Looks to be in amazing shape.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
          Nice, is it vintage? Looks to be in amazing shape.
          It's a 2006 model. Considering it's 10 years old it is in great shape.

Comment

Classic firearm right there.
            Congrats on a nice one.
            I had a scout squad model and loved it.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Beautiful!!
              Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Razor what do you know about Fulton Armory M14's/M1A's?
                I know where one is for sale but don't know much about them other than they are expensive new.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  I know where one is for sale but don't know much about them other than they are expensive new.
                  Fulton can be anything from a sloppily built spare parts gun to high end match builds... they sell a wide range of complete rifles as well as bare receivers. You just need to thoroughly inspect them...

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                    xeno summed it up perfectly from everything I've read. I know Springfield M1A's get dogged on from time to time too, but I know exactly how good Springfield's customer service it and didn't hesitate to jump on mine. I would have picked up a Polytech if I had come across one, despite the negativity that a lot of people give them too. LRB has a solid reputation, but even big guys like Smith Enterprises has quite a few haters out there. My expertise on M1A's isn't expansive. The James River Armory M1A's are gathering a following, but there's no way I could have convinced myself to want an M1A with a welded on USGI receiver heel.

There's a lot more options now for an M1A because of the demand, but ultimately I wanted a Springfield because I know how well they support their products.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=157133

http://m14forum.com/james-river-armo...ml#post1506412

Comment

Thanks for the two links Razor.
                      I need to bone up on M1A kit builds and all the companies that are producing them.
                      This one was traded into a shop that belongs to a friend of mine so its under a grand price wise.
                      I had never heard of Fulton but he said he jumped on it because he loves the Fulton he personally owns.
                      The guy that traded it said he had had the Fulton for 10 or 15 years and just wanted something different to play with.

Comment

The Polytechs were great, you just needed to get them heat treated. Otherwise, they were solid guns.

If I were buying a receiver for a build I'd probably go Smith just because loyalty... he fabbed a lot of parts for Crane. Never heard of James River, but there are all sorts of high end options... LRB makes a quality receiver too.

With a Springfield you're most likely always gonna get a factory gun. All the other brands, you need to inspect carefully as quality of gunsmith assembling and choice of parts can be the difference between a $1500 rifle and a $3k+ build.

Comment

I took a closer look today and the receiver looked to be forged and not cast plus it has the scope block and the hole on the left side of the receiver for the std scope mount.
                          The Fulton has the military M14 stock with the fun switch cutout by the way, not that that is all that important to me.
                          I would have taken pics but I didn't want to be an ass in his store.
                          He knows I want it and I have something he wants so maybe we can work something out.

Comment

I love mine. Built on a 1980 receiver with all GI & GI National Match parts.

Comment

Have a gun show to go to tomorrow so I will be looking for M1A's or Belt fed kits like a UK 59 or PKM's.

Comment

Working...
                              X