To Mod or Not to Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Mod or Not to Mod

That is the question re: refinishing and/or upgrading so-called rare and/or vintage axes.

I fall somewhere between yea and nay. For the most part I believe that if it's your ax and said mods/upgrades make you a better player for it, so be it. Fuck the naysayers.

There are extenuating circumstances and I get that uber-rare or historically valuable pieces should be given due consideration. You don't go swapping the neck off of Eddie's FrankenStrat (even though Eddie did) or repaint Lynch's tiger ESP or drop a Kahler in one of Page's Les Pauls. But the blanket poo-pooing of mods and or upgrades and the elitist attitude about stock guitars always puzzled me. If the mod makes it better playing for your needs, what of it? I've seen peeps lose their ever-loving minds at the mere mention of changing the p'ups on a Custom Shop ax. I've gotten into all-out internet shouting matches over wanting to repaint vintage axes that were all tore up and beat to shit. Shit, even if they weren't but it was a color or graphic that brought on waves of nausea in you, who cares? Good riddance.

I dunno. In the end, enhancing the playability of an ax, along with making it uniquely your own seems valid enough reason for changing a guitar's features and appearance.

Thoughts?

I think it's your axe do what you want with it. Well, just don't make it look like shit though. I can especially see it when one has been drug to hell and back and had the shit beat out of it. Some guys are like that with older milsurp guns. Even if they've been sporterized and you restore it back to its former glory they get all bent out of shape. I don't have a problem with upgrades, especially if they can be returned back to their original state.

Comment

It's just wood and metal.

Do what makes you happy.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
        Shit, even if they weren't but it was a color or graphic that brought on waves of nausea in you, who cares? Good riddance.
        Unless its the cock dragon, then under no circumstances should that ever be repainted.... #savedforposterity

Comment

Say I had an old beat to hell pink Charvel that brought nausea to me, and imagine I stole it for 200 bucks. Now, let's imagine I had Dan Lawrence repaint it with a DeMartini Skull and Blood Drip, and you're saying that's a problem? Hell no is all I have to say. I'd have the cock dragon painted so fast it would make mother fuckers heads spin. Now, if it's a historically significant guitar like Lynch's Sub Camo, DeMartini's Frenchie or Eddie's Bumblebee then that would be a different story. Then again, no one in their right mind, especially a Jackson/Charvel fan is gonna permanently mod one of those.

Opinions like that make me think it's not even ok to have a damaged guitar restored back to it's former glory. If someone tries to tell me that this restoration I'm linking to is sacriledge then all I can say is someone needs their head examined!

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/147...on-Roundhorn-v

Comment

For me it's MOD.
            It's the only way I can get a reasonably priced guitar with specs to my taste.

Comment

Working...
            X