So I am offically making a Documentary film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I am offically making a Documentary film

There is an excerpt from the Robert Rodriquez's Ten Minute Film School that appears in the opening of his book "Rebel with out a crew"

"So you want to be a filmaker? First step to being a filmmake is stop saying you want to be a filmmaker. It took me forever to be able to tell anyone I was a filmmaker and keep a straight face until I was well on my way. But the truth was, I had been a filmmaker ever since the day I had closed my eyes and pictures myself making movies. The rest was inevitable. So you don't want to be a filmmaker, you are a filmmaker. Go make yourself a business card."

Tomorrow I go and begin filming the first two subjects of my Documentary Film, so although I won't say it tonight, tomorrow I will be able to say I am a Documentary Filmmaker, I'll skip the business cards.

I'm thrilled that this project (That originally was just going to be some somewhat random youtube videos is sort of evolving into something else. I have two people I will be filming tomorrow (and likely some additional days here and there) and I have contacted another person to see if he would like to tell his story to the camera. I've also been approached by a couple other people with relatives they believe would be interesting to talk to and record. So things are moving along. The most difficult part of this (the way it's moving right now, things may go completely dry after these folks and I may not find more to record for who knows how long) is going to be the editing. I'm using Movavi (because it's what I could afford). The Camera's (a DSLR and a HD Cam corder) are both 1080p and look fantastic. Using stock lenses on the DSLR but considering most documentaries I watch look like they were Super 8 I'm not too concerned with the limitations, the video will look good.

I've got my model release forms all ready to go, i'm excited for this project. I'm likely going to sell my PRS SE and my Roland cube locally to cover gas and lodging to get to some people who are friend of a friend of a friend sort of deal, but not local to me. I'll want to know a bit more about them before I make that trek though.

Oh and on a side note, an employer that skipped over me for someone else, has now contacted me to bring me in. So I should be back to a real job come Monday or a week from Monday, however log it takes to do a background check for Government work.

My only real concern with filming tomorrow, is the people I'm going to be talking with and recording has their grand kid living with them and he's a heroin junky. Last time I was over he was so f*cking spun, he reminded me of my brother (the one who ended up killing himself) One of those guys that fakes interest in what you do to try and cover up they are so fucking wasted they can barely stand... anyway I'm really hoping he won't be around, if I get the feeling my equipment is getting mentally cataloged I may move the interview into an undisclosed park. But otherwise I think this is going to be interesting. The male I'll be speaking with is 1 of 21 children... yikes. that's a lot of babies, I feel bad for his mother just knowing she was pregnant for what 19 years? lol. but there's a lot of stories there. this should be a good time.

And I am a Documentary Filmmaker.

This will be stories from older folks, although there may be some 60-somethings in the mix I'm mostly focusing on 75 and older. It's going to be difficult getting to sleep tonight, but at least the cameras lighting tripods etc are all packed and ready to go.
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

kick ass!!! sounds like an interesting path - and your first subject sounds like the perfect place to start. kudos for making the leap, and I hope it all goes well for you!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
      I should be back to a real job come Monday or a week from Monday, however log it takes to do a background check for Government
      First off: HUGE congrats. Have a great time, and best of luck.

Second: depends on if you need a security clearance or just a background check. Most BCs are wrapped up in two weeks, which includes the urine drug screening. If it's for a clearance, it depends on if you'll need a polygraph, prior employment history, any criminal records, military service, etc. An interim clearance can be granted within a few weeks of submitting your eQip, but final clearances take anywhere from 6-9 months right now.

Comment

Unless you're a Syrian refugee, in which case it should only take a day or so. But if you're a Documentary Filmmaker, it might take longer :P

Congrats, you Documentary Filmmaker you!
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
        X