Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Active Shooter Drills at work: anyone had one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Shooter Drills at work: anyone had one?

So a recent OSHA review suggested we expand our Emergency Response program to cover more than just fire or tornado - they suggested train derailments due to our having a major rail line right outside, releases from the neighboring facilities, and an Active Shooter Drill, since that's popular with the kids these days.

I've seen short clips of these on the local news, and there was a situation some years ago where a guy "off his meds", as the family claimed, took hostages at the local Community College, including a very pregnant woman, so they want us to seriously consider it.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Contact your local Police Department and ask to speak to someone who could help you put together a training plan, or even better; attend one of their classes. Most LEAs have a Training Department that specializes in this kinda thing and they're great about working with local citizens who ask for help.

I've taught a Response to Active Shooter curriculum in the past. There are a ton of resources out there to put together a plan, but if you are having a hard time, shoot me a PM and I'll get something together for you.

Comment

I figured DRM would know. I didn't have a clue about where to tell you to start.

Comment

I think Corporate has people they consult with on these things at other facilities, and being a low-level grunt on the Safety Committee, I'm not involved in the planning.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Gotcha.

Give this a read. It's a DHS publication and covers the basics of what you need to know.

https://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/...er_booklet.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post
            Contact your local Police Department and ask to speak to someone who could help you put together a training plan, or even better; attend one of their classes. Most LEAs have a Training Department that specializes in this kinda thing and they're great about working with local citizens who ask for help.

I've taught a Response to Active Shooter curriculum in the past. There are a ton of resources out there to put together a plan, but if you are having a hard time, shoot me a PM and I'll get something together for you.
            I will respectfully disagree, Tell your workplace to stop being whining un-American pussies and presenting a soft target! Incidents only happen where weak motherfuckers feel like they have a chance at getting a high score, IE soft targets.... Instead, encourage your employer to sponsor carry licenses, it would have a much better effect as a deterent and a morale builder.... Fucking America is getting so pusssified, that it disgusts me as a person!

My high school had a rifle team, where you were encouraged to bring your gun to school, wow ~ Shit sure has changed!!!
            Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Here in TN, there's a nice shiny new law that says businesses who prohibit the lawful carry of firearms are liable in the event of an active shooter, citing the common-sense fact that people should have a fair chance at shooting back.

My employer has posted signs that effectively violate my 2nd Amendment rights.

However, it's also a manufacturing facility whose inventory is largely steel. Pieces of various shapes and sizes that fit nicely in the hand and hurt like a motherfucker when they hit you in the face, or anywhere, really. Then there are the pieces that have sharp ends and cut through flesh easily. Unless someone shows up with tank-busting ammo, I'd say a neck-to-thigh sheet of steel will be enough protection for someone to charge a shooter with.

I can't see myself being compliant in that situation. I just cannot. I stopped being a victim a long time ago, and I'd rather die trying than feel that shitty again. What concerns me about such a drill is that I know they're going to bring in law enforcement to act as shooters, and I do not want to cripple, maim, or kill someone during a fucking drill, but at the same time I do not want to be "trained" to go along with the demands of someone holding a gun. I don't want to lose my job of 16 years for going against their weak-kneed policy of bend over and take it up the ass, nor do I want to explain to a judge why I shoved an ink pen into the throat of a cop who was just there for a seminar, because quite frankly the judge won't give a shit for the "why". I'd probably not even make it to handcuffs.

I am literally scared of this drill actually being conducted. I do not want to be in the building for it, because I cannot turn off, tone down, or restrain myself when I go on the offensive. I already run similar scenarios in my head constantly for any given situation anyone can realistically find themselves in at any given moment, and it never includes running away or begging, but full-bore violence until I'm either dead or bored of it. I think about it so intently that I catch myself on the edge of an outburst. My eyes widen and my heart rate jumps up and I get an itch to start swinging, all because of a simulation I'm running in my head. I literally lose sleep because of these thoughts. I can't turn my brain off once it starts, and it becomes a running riot that lasts for hours.

If they call me in and say "we're doing the drill today", there's no way I can take it as seriously as I should, and that's gonna be a problem, because the grinning and giggles will incite the instructor to get testy, which will get me testy, and then the one door that should never be opened opens and it's over for one of us, if not both. If they tell me when the drill is and ask me to video it for review purposes as part of our safety training, I can do that.

Of course, now that I know they're considering it, I'm waiting and watching for it and expecting it at any moment, especially during a meeting. I have to be prepared so I can control my response to it.

Comment

Try to turn it into a discussion. Many of your coworkers may not be as switched on as you and don't know what they don't know.

It may be lame, and trust me, I've had to sit through PLENTY of mandatory bullshit training in my life. But try to both ask questions and encourage a two-way conversation with everyone in attendance to make it worthwhile. Get the gears turning and help your coworkers learn how to think, not what to think, so they can adapt to the rapidly evolving situation that is an active shooter.

Comment

Newc, My employer has posted signs that effectively violate my 2nd Amendment rights.
                  That's because they went behind your back and updated it and changed the language.

http://bearingarms.com/jenn-j/2016/0...you-literally/
                  \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post
                    Try to turn it into a discussion. Many of your coworkers may not be as switched on as you and don't know what they don't know.

It may be lame, and trust me, I've had to sit through PLENTY of mandatory bullshit training in my life. But try to both ask questions and encourage a two-way conversation with everyone in attendance to make it worthwhile. Get the gears turning and help your coworkers learn how to think, not what to think, so they can adapt to the rapidly evolving situation that is an active shooter.
                    It has been informally discussed amongst the other working stiffs, and the typical response is "out the back, over the fence, down the road, I'm taking my ass to the house". That's a very plausible plan. The building is open enough with large bay doors that are almost always open, and the only way into the property is through the front gates. However, there are no metal detectors, so just because there's a sign on the door doesn't mean there's not a gun in a bag, waistband, or work boot. If the gun is already in the building, there's not going to be the same response as if we see someone walking towards the place with an AR. It's a noisy environment as well, with regular "sounds like gunfire" sounds. Someone swinging a hammer, or a piercing machine, or line driven processes that terminate into a container.
                    I'm not opposed to the idea of beating feet, as there's never a door too far. But suppose we're in an interior room like the break room, with only one way in and out, or in a meeting room with only one way in and out. No windows to jump out of, and fairly crowded. Plywood tables and plastic chairs won't stop bullets like they show in movies.

What about those who freeze in place if something does happen? Can any of us really say "oh well" and leave them to possibly die, or worse?
                    We do need to seriously consider our individual responses.

As for discussing it with The Office, I don't trust the management team. I'm concerned that if I try to open an honest dialogue about this, citing my personal feelings on the matter as mentioned above, either they won't take me seriously or they'll think I'm nuts and give me the boot. Most of them are your textbook "Office People" who live in a fantasy land that shit doesn't hit their fan, it'll never happen here because we're in such a Mayberry locale, and that if you just do what the bad guy says they'll leave without hurting anyone. They've fired people for the shittiest reasons, and we're in a relatively low-income area due to farming and industrial being the major employment opportunities, and everyone and their mother hunts, so there are plenty of guns and plenty of people with an axe to grind. The gangs are also spreading out from Memphis in this direction, and have already taken a town of similar size nearby. We had a police pursuit of an armed robbery suspect end in our parking lot some years ago that resulted in gunfire. If not for the newly-erected fence around the property, the fleeing gunmen would have been in the building before the cops caught up to them.

They aren't actively concerned that a former employee will show up with a gun. They're not concerned that someone with a personal beef with the brand name will show up with a gun. They're not concerned that some bat-shit fucknut who's off his meds will show up with a gun and either start shooting for shits and giggles or because of some "higher calling".

I'd rather take it too seriously and be overly-prepared than be rudely awakened.

Comment

Just take your shoes off, crawl around in your vest and say "Yippee-ki-yay Motherfucker".
                      And kill anyone who sounds vaguely foreign, especially European. Or anyone who might be dreaming of 72 virgins.
                      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                        Just take your shoes off, crawl around in your vest and say "Yippee-ki-yay Motherfucker".
                        And kill anyone who sounds vaguely foreign, especially European. Or anyone who might be dreaming of 72 virgins.
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          It has been informally discussed amongst the other working stiffs, and the typical response is "out the back, over the fence, down the road, I'm taking my ass to the house". That's a very plausible plan.
                          I remember playing king of the hill, and we took it very seriously! If your main plan is running, fuck that. Whatever happened to standing up for who or where you are? Again a pussified nation of cowards is what we've become, but fear not... I know, I'm not the only "Loose cannon" out there willing to use lethal force in the face of "extreme adversity". It disgusts me that there are such drills designed to teach capitulation and cowardice, our once great country is no more... Hirohito is laughing in his grave
                          Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I'm sure they'll propose the "your actions could result in your co-workers being killed" option. Yes, I'm aware of that. Boo-fucking-hoo. My inaction could result in the same outcome If I can stop this particular individual from doing it to someone else, their lives will not have been wasted. If they capitulate and end up dead anyway, having done nothing to prevent it, their deaths were meaningless. There exists the chance to resolve the situation with only one death - the gunman's. Maybe only two will die; me and him. Or maybe my actions facilitate someone else's escape from harm. Or maybe we all die and our problems are over. Either way, I live on my feet, I'll die on my feet.

Comment

I've been seeing the active shooter classes pop up by the gun nuts around town here. It doesn't hurt being prepared or to think on what you might but I'm un-trusting, of anyone, anything so I'm already surveying situations and thinking about possible solutions to any douchebagery. I'd get away from those people who can't remain calm or are in panic and in fear...panic clouds judgment. I know the building better that some ass-hat and I'd be exiting the building, grabbing my gun and head back inside to hunt haha. I might end up dead but I couldn't leave folks in there with out trying to knock the fucker off...probably not smart but its in my DNA
                              Last edited by Shawn Lutz; 08-21-2016, 02:35 PM.
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                              X