Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on "The Official Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide 2016"? Worth reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on "The Official Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide 2016"? Worth reading?

I love treasure hunting for underpriced second-hand gear and I tend to do most of my pricing research using the internet (discussion forums, Facebook groups, eBay completed listings).

What are your opinions on "The Official Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide 2016"? Is this an accurate resource? Is it worth buying and/or reading? Not that I would ever sell my Shannon Soloist, but a quick browse of this guide at a local bookstore stunned me by quoting $1600 (or $1800, can't remember) for fair condition and $2100 for excellent condition (and mine is definitely excellent).

I'd agree with the $2100 excellent condition Shannon quote in perfect world, but it's no perfect world.
    $16-1800 in fair condition? That's more than a tad optimistic.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

In all reality all printed medium price guides are out of date before they press print. often, when you find those low prices its because they use price guides like this.

Comment

Price guides aren't really all that useful. They're nice to look at and if you're in business, it's probably good to have a master list of base pricing, but you're much better off doing a completed sold listing search on ebay.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Yep, what Zeno said. That price guide is probably good for mass produced popular guitars like Gibson Les Pauls and Fender Strats but I'll bet they are clueless for values on 80's USA custom guitars like Charvel, Jackson, Dean, Hamer, etc.

Comment

Working...
          X