Farm Pond Fishing 3-17-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farm Pond Fishing 3-17-2016

I've been unemployed for the past few weeks so I've had a bit of time on my hands. Last Thursday I had finished all of my errands and chores, so I started watching some fishing on the Outdoors channel. Last week was very nice with daily highs in the 60's. So I'm sitting there watching fishing and I begin to Jones and wonder if the fish might have moved up because of the early nice weather we've been having. My dentist has a couple of farm ponds he lets me fish, so I decided I'd make the short 20 minute drive to see what's up. The only bad thing was the winds were gusting up to 30mph, but it was coming out of the west.

Well, as soon as I get there I saw a couple of bass swimming around the rock dam, which was a good sign for me. I fished from 12:30 to 2:45 just walking around the bank. I ended up catching 8 largemouth bass. They were all on the windblown side of the pond, and they were right on the bank. If you cast more than 4 feet from the bank you were hauling water. I was surprised to see them so shallow this early in the season. I couldn't get any hits on slower moving lures like tubes, worms and even slow rolled spinnerbaits. They all fell to a square bill shallow diving Strike King Chartreuse Sexy Shad just slow steady cranked. When they hit it they hit it like they meant too! It was funny that most of them rolled over on their side halfway through the battle and surfed to hand like a bluegill will. A couple fought all the way though. I didn't catch any lunkers, but all were definite keeper fish in the 1.5 to 2 pound range. All went back in the pond to fight another day. I'm hoping the weather warms up later in the week so I can try the pond again.

I had a heck of a good time being out and enjoying mother nature, and it was nice to get rewarded with bass too!

Last edited by Razor; 03-21-2016, 11:52 AM.

I've got the wish for a fish too. I'm on spring break and plan on hitting some warmer backwaters. I'm expecting walleye and northern pike.

Comment

Working...
    X