Latency question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latency question

I have the opportunity to buy myself a multi channel digital audio router/interface, which is said to have a latency of 0.29ms. Primarily, I only want the audio to pass from physical inputs to outputs, so I can disable the monitor. But, if I decide to start processing audio signals through the computer, what level of latency would you consider "noticeable"? What tweaks do you make to minimise signs of latency (delay of audio reaching the monitors of the computer, doubling, echoing, etc.)?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Anything above 10ms latency might start to get noticeable, but the total latency of an audio signal is the sum of all parts, a SC with the lowest possible latency always helps
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Think of it in terms of a delay pedal: what does 30ms sound like there? It's a doubled, almost slapback effect. This might be annoying to you, or you may be able to tolerate it. Only you can say.

However, there's a difference between 29ms and 0.29ms - the same difference between 29 cents and 29 dollars, so find out the real specs of the unit. 29ms seems a bit much, while 0.29ms seems like it's not even worth mentioning.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I use the Steinberg UR28M, dunno what the specs are but it's as close to zero latency as possible. Really awesome unit & not expensive.

Comment

This is too hi tech for me. I'm an ancient that invented the Glory Hole in Lemuria, and scribed it on tablets.

These are facts, as seen on the Discovery channel.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
          X