No announcement yet.

Too old for the "band" thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not an age problem, it's the same reason 99% of bands don't make it, the right people. Everyone has to be on the same page & click.

This is why my project, Ilium, is purely a recording act. The other guitarist & I had enough of lazy, useless, ' you should pay me' wankers wasting our time, we know exactly what each other is thinking & what we wanted Ilium to be, so we just pay a good singer to do vocals & do the rest ourselves.

A full band would be fun, I'd love to play live again but where I'm from, it ain't gonna happen.

The only excuse you need to buy gear & keep playing, where ever that may be, is that you love doing it.

Comment

Sounds like you just don't get on with the guys very well. I know how it feels being in a band with guys that just won't pull their fucking weight, the fun goes right out of it. A singer needing the words written down while you spend hours nailing solos and getting the riffs tight? Fuck that guy.

You should start a new band, maybe just a three-piece so there's less people to get on your nerves

Ultimately, if it's not fun, there's no point.
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Force View Post
        This is why my project, Ilium, is purely a recording act. The other guitarist & I had enough of lazy, useless, ' you should pay me' wankers wasting our time, we know exactly what each other is thinking & what we wanted Ilium to be, so we just pay a good singer to do vocals & do the rest ourselves.
        Yeah, that's kinda what I ended up doing with the bass player/guitarist from my band. We binned the rest of the guys and went from playing metal to jamming 12 string acoustics and mandolins covering "Battle of Evermore", "Tangerine" and writing our own folk shit. It was great fun, even if I had to start singing and I ain't no Robert Plant.
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

THanks everyone! Really enjoying all your posts!

Give me a few weeks and I'll have a nice room to make some loud noise in the house with my son.
          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Power TUBEY gave me a laugh...feelin' women.

I'm 51+ and sometimes I call my noodle "Al Dente". Especially when my wife starts to sound like Fran Drescher..

These guys nailed everything gospel on right/wrong band mate. I had both. Now I have the best one with my son.

Have fun with yours broseppi..
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Not too old for bands, just sick of being a social worker. I should jam with my kid as well, but he plays keys...

Comment

I've always been a great believer in pissing in fellow members' bucket seats...
                So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Well... I did it... I quit! May be I should have done it differently but I just sent a simple email... Funny as I'm leaving the band I created in 2009. D'oh!

Anyway, I gave them the opportunity to stay for the "Battle of the Bands" thing but what blew my fuse last night was they wanted to book another gig in the coming weeks.

I'm just plain tired of the gigging thing. Playing for drunk folks who doesn't care, driving far, carrying all the gear, coming back home at crazy late hours and getting a bag of peanuts as a pay. At least if we, as musicians, would get decent money out of it.
                  JB aka BenoA

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
                    I'm just plain tired of the gigging thing. Playing for drunk folks who doesn't care, driving far, carrying all the gear, coming back home at crazy late hours and getting a bag of peanuts as a pay. At least if we, as musicians, would get decent money out of it.
                    Yep. Welcome to my life as well, you've described most bands I've been in well. I do bands, then eventually this issue finally gets the best of me and I quit. After a while I usually miss the stage and do it all again. After last time, which was truly the best band I'd ever been in, I haven't missed it enough and it's been a few years. Initially due to my shoulder surgery but mostly, but now because I hate people these days and don't really talk to or deal with anyone. I'm certainly incapable of being a caring social worker to band mates. So, i stay home and enjoy solitude haha.

Hope you get the mojo and interest back and do something fun!

Comment

Don't worry Cleveland!!! I still got the Mojo, may be I have too much compared to my band mates. I'm probably just tired... Tired of all the crap and stuff related to be part of a band. It was fun when I was 18 but when you get older and know the rules, you don't want to be treated that way "amateur" musicians are being treated these days. I'm no fool anymore.
                      JB aka BenoA

Comment

I came to the startling realization around 5 years ago that not only would I never be a professional musician, but I would never seriously play in a band. Between my job and starting a family, I have too much else that takes precedence over playing music in front of strangers.

I have more fun putting back beers and jamming with my friends than dealing with all of the crap that goes along with being "serious". Nobody's delicate egos get bruised when we fuck around and everyone is just genuinely having a good time playing the music we grew up listening to.

I wouldn't trade the joy I get from simply playing for myself for anything in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post
                          I wouldn't trade the joy I get from simply playing for myself for anything in the world.
                          +1
                          I played professionally for 15 years. I actually paid for my house playing. But, I haven't been on stage in almost 15 years and I don't miss the chaos one bit.
                          ...ok, maybe a tiny bit.
                          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                            I should jam with my kid as well, but he plays keys...
                            Dimmu Borgir cover band
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
                              Well... I did it... I quit! May be I should have done it differently but I just sent a simple email... Funny as I'm leaving the band I created in 2009. D'oh!

Anyway, I gave them the opportunity to stay for the "Battle of the Bands" thing but what blew my fuse last night was they wanted to book another gig in the coming weeks.

At least you quit and weren't kicked out of the band you started. That happens maybe never more spectacularly than Vinnie Vincent being kicked out of the Vinnie Vincent Invasion.
                              I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                              So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                                Dimmu Borgir cover band
                                That young man is a gifted musician with a vision!!! I was truly impressed.

It's been years, but what I heard was much like Midnight Syndicate. Very Dark, Gothic, Atmospheric, soundcapes, that could be horror film scores. Much like the players in (Dimmu, Cradle, ect)..ANY dark metal band would be happy/lucky to have him.

He does it for himself. Doing exactly what we're talking about here.
                                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                                X