Checking behind your kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking behind your kids

I have 2 sons both play instruments, oldest (18 now!) plays guitar, the youngest(15 now!) drums. I am constantly checking behind them after they leave to make sure they're taking care of their gear and that things are unplugged and put up properly. I've been doing this for yrs now and I know it's time to stop they're not 8 and 5 anymore. So my oldest comes home plays for awhile, then gone like the wind... shorty after he leaves I go in his room and the guitar is still jacked, it has active pickups, batteries cost money. So I unplugged the guitar and hung it back on the hanger. I left him a note explaining he is a young man now and should not need his daddy to make sure his gear is hung up and unplugged/jacked. I don't mind doing setups for him, I actually enjoy that! Do any of you guys find your self doing this behind your kids?
    \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

All the time but...he's still a bit young.

Comment

That's AWESOME! \m/
      \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

I expect to be doing this long after they've (supposedly) grown up. They're 10 & 8 now, I have no chance of getting them to clean up after themselves, we shall see what the future brings.

Comment

18 and 15??? Call me mean, but I wouldn't be doing any of that stuff for them. They are plenty old enough to treat their stuff the way it should be treated. You are creating and enabling the behavior that you're bothered by. Teach them the proper way to do things, what needs to be done and when it needs to be done, and leave it at that. If they tear their shit up make them learn to fix it themselves by learning from you, or make them pay to have it fixed themselves. Neither one of them will ever bother to do anything correctly if they know you'll do it for them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for teaching the proper steps to care, maintenance, and general use. But at their age you're hurting them as it pertains to this more than you're helping them.
          My Toys:
          '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
          '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
          '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
          '94 Dinky HX in Black
          '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Well now...helicopter dad. Check !

Leading by example ...Check !

Enabling and holding them to our exact and anal standards to the cunthair..double Check!

Now ask yourself. What is the ONLY thing they could be distracted by..?

My son will be 21 next month. I was there from day one. I'm home every day..I see this shit. The more strict we are making them maintain guitars/equip, the more they are going to resist or quit playing completely. They're not even going wipe the goo smudges after every or any use.

We haven't met, but that's irrelevant. What is important to know or remember the testosterone oozing from 18 + 15 = exactly how many times they busted their nuts that very day. Give or take three depending who's watchin'. These are scientific facts.

I used to beat to Sears catalog..panty or bra section. That is a historical fact. Now these kids don't care because of all this virtual HD skeet fwappin whatkots and ect. An active battery should be the least of your worries at this time. I thought you found add (WTF is this shit") here____________.

I'm always ,

Bill Z Bub
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

BillZ! Holy crap dude, where ya been?

Junior's 21? Fuck, we've been here a long time....

Comment

Snoogs yes..hey man. I popped in and saw our great friend / JCF brother passed a while back. It seemed like everytime I wanted to chime in here, another one of us buys the farm.

Rich ALWAYS had my back no matter what..he was/is the goods. That's OK we'll jam one day behind the wall of sleep!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                  Well now...helicopter dad. Check !

Leading by example ...Check !

Enabling and holding them to our exact and anal standards to the cunthair..double Check!

Now ask yourself. What is the ONLY thing they could be distracted by..?

My son will be 21 next month. I was there from day one. I'm home every day..I see this shit. The more strict we are making them maintain guitars/equip, the more they are going to resist or quit playing completely. They're not even going wipe the goo smudges after every or any use.

We haven't met, but that's irrelevant. What is important to know or remember the testosterone oozing from 18 + 15 = exactly how many times they busted their nuts that very day. Give or take three depending who's watchin'. These are scientific facts.

I used to beat to Sears catalog..panty or bra section. That is a historical fact. Now these kids don't care because of all this virtual HD skeet fwappin whatkots and ect. An active battery should be the least of your worries at this time. I thought you found add (WTF is this shit") here____________.

I'm always ,

Bill Z Bub
                  Yeah I'm with you and AdRock - seems like at their age they could be doing this stuff for themselves. If a battery runs out, they'll soon learn not to leave it running down if they have to pay for a replacement themselves.

As for beating off - I never did anything like that. Didn't want to get hairy palms or go blind, honest.
                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

If I had a son playing my guitars and not taking care of them thats one thing.
                    If he bought his own gear and let it rot thats his business.Time to let go of the strings bro'.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Hey guys..miss ya man. You have no idea!

Stray that is gospel, and exactly how I feel. My kid is distracted by POON and some band he's obsessed with called C.H.O.N. They are extremely amazing players. Basically appying the tap Stu Hamm approach + Guthrie kinda thing. I fuggin' hate it. I'm not "chill" by any strecth. I'll prolly love them live.. They come thru pretty often. But it sounds like the weather channel to me. I'm a meatlhead..shredder and then some. My kid plays that stuff quite well. Not my thing though. Sounds too happy for the devil!

Steve I've been peepin' on you and congrats on you writing and reviews. I'm very impressed and I haven't read any of your stuff but I know I'd love it. Too busy with family and playing geets in my down time. I'm actually applying everything I used to do on bass on guitar..I was never able to do that before. Practice and constant inventing is everything. I learn some things from my son, and others..mostly myself tho. I never copy my faves tho. I don't want to sound like any of them. I don't think Eddie, Yngwie, Uli, Loomis or Iommi cares about sounding like each other..

Guys never give up hope when you think you hit the wall with your playing skills. I thought I peaked several years ago. Nope..lightning struck the reptile in my brain (literally) and I can't stop playing these days. I've never been happier. Even If never recorded a single note. I play because I LOVE it. Just like I was 13 again! It's like having those stories but never wrote a book..it's in you. it rules!

oops sorry for the hijack..no I'm not. I haven't been here for a while. it's seems cool being at my second home again..it's weird.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                        If I had a son playing my guitars and not taking care of them thats one thing.
                        If he bought his own gear and let it rot thats his business.Time to let go of the strings bro'.

oops sorry for the hijack..no I'm not.
                        doesn't matter to me.

Call me mean
                        not at all.
                        Last edited by Jackson8090s; 09-19-2015, 09:39 PM.
                        \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Billbro Bag-hands!

Did you find your one ring-muscle to rule them all?

Still playing your JMP-1 rig of doom?
                          Last edited by Hellbat; 09-19-2015, 10:53 PM.
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                            Billbro Bag-hands!

Did you find your one ring-muscle to rule them all?

Still playing your JMP-1 rig of doom?
                            Drew, how in hell are you bro. Yes, In fact I would have kept the JVM. I actually did buy one. I wanted a grab N' go version of my blessed Marshall rack. So I broke everything down with the help of my kid and his freind joe ( monster shredder) , especially at 18. I thought I was fast..shit. Well anywhoo, I broke everything down to One side/One Cab with Rack A/B with JVM and another 1960b cab. Man, They both have their strenghts and limitations. Basically after 3 weeks of dicking with the original Marshall 410 w/ EL34. First that head is nearly heavy (it seemed) as the rack. The red channel is what I need. I don't know what it is My JMP-1 seems just shy of perfect gain. But when I dialed the JVM to match same gainess it sqealed like fuck (especially FRC strat) . Sure NS-2 in front perfect fix for that. But I used SD-1 clean boost only with rack and it was on par with JVM with much less noise. both cleans sound nicer with the rack without question. But I don't play clean..duh. Well I do now, but not in a normal way. I require clean tones for alot of tapping stuff. Think Stu Hamm on guitar. The orange channel is cooler than the rack IMO..that's where the VH is. But the clencher was when I plugged both sides of the rack into the cabs. Now I know what I love most about it. It's headroom..think moderate level tone setting stays EXACTLY the same, and the balance in stereo sounds flawless. In fact I want to buy an exact duplicate of the Marshall rack..since heads are popular right now. The rack is pretty much a rack version of the 4 channel JVM. But the balance ..especially the chorus..it's huge. balanced...just so balanced. It gets tight when really turned up and the tone doesn't color like heads do. All my heads get tighter when pushed but the tone completely changes. That's what I didn't like most of the Engl. I LOVED it at moderate levels, but the top end mids were shrill. To me it's gotta have the "IT" thing. I like the JVM over the Engl played loud..for certain. The Bogner over the Engl for certain. The Powerball is a pretty bright amp. It looks nice, and has a warm gain that somewhat in league with the Freytte deliverance 120. I wanted to love that amp but couldn't flip it fast enough. It just sounded dead, like a dead nice tone. Opposite of the Engl. KT88s woke up nicely when pushed way over anyone's liking..F that amp! I made out tho. I used to flip amps like crazy 25 years ago. It's actually easier to find shit these days than the late 80's...ain't that goofy? So flippin amps and 2 guitars renewed the spark I needed to love playing. The Marshall rack will eat anything out there hands down..if I had roadies. It walks over anything and everything. The Uber stays dormant until I wanna fire it up. The '72 1959 is just so cool to have and it hurts your teeth when cranked..like old marshalls do. It smells like an old marshall. The JVM didn't have that old Marshall smell. As soon as I sent that back..Joe Satriani released his version with required noise gate. But damn I'll wait 'till they come down a little. I want 100 watts for headroom 2 ch version I may try the combo version. I have the Peavey 6505+..and two Line 6 spyders upstairs bedroom..they still work nice. I may part with the TC electronics G major. Meh..it does eveything but blow me. It's still here because of the tuner / NG basically. The JFX-1 makes it sound like complete shit. The Uber sounds better with stomps..The JFX-1 sounds waaaaaaaay better in the Uber than the G Major. I may try to find as many JFX-1 I can. That unit really puts the shine on a good amp. Except for the Freyette. That was the last thing I tried. If that unit doesn't polish an amp..it's a turd. Marshall should put JMP-1/JFX-1 in a stomp. I'll buy all of them. Make them look nice..gold and everything.

Oh I tried Kelly($100) Moded SD-1 > fart box. WTF . A untouched SD-1 is the best 40 bucks any shredder can invest. Or DS-1..grittier..SD-1 Smooth..Both are nice. Like them better than TS-9, and. I have this old Digetch Hot Head LN in box..I gotta get rid of it. I seemed to gathered stomps. I'm not sure what I have...they grow like mushrooms. one dude gave me stuff in bargains.

My kid's bud refuses to play anything but his Line 6 HD 500 w/ his PA. I thought he was high. Sometimes you get a respectful surprise. He's great..he sounds great. He LOVES it. I do too..pretty interesting really. That kid is fast, and driven..

An old freind really wants to record with me. I was apprehensive about doing anything, but that was a big surprise too. It would be a very shreddy black metal-ish instrumental thing. No vocals. We just sat there and played for over 2 hours without saying a word. He had an answer for anything I threw at him and likewise. I threw some twisted shit too but he was spot on..everything just clicked so easily. so..maybe. Only recording is the issue. Nothing else really.

I think investing in what Jackson8090s dude did. That's prolly the best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post

Steve I've been peepin' on you and congrats on you writing and reviews. I'm very impressed and I haven't read any of your stuff but I know I'd love it. Too busy with family and playing geets in my down time. I'm actually applying everything I used to do on bass on guitar..I was never able to do that before. Practice and constant inventing is everything. I learn some things from my son, and others..mostly myself tho. I never copy my faves tho. I don't want to sound like any of them. I don't think Eddie, Yngwie, Uli, Loomis or Iommi cares about sounding like each other...
                              Cheers Bill, good to see you around again.
                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X