Removing Glue Residue from Tweed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Glue Residue from Tweed

For the most part, I use various products depending on what I am removing it from and how much residue we are talking about. That part is just common knowledge.
    But now, I have an old tweed case (came with one of the Model 6's that I just bought). The guy put a piece of tape on it to write stuff.

I can't remove the gunk. It is just not coming off.

Any ideas?

I am not going to use gasoline until you guys tell me it is safe on the fabric. But even then, how do I actually clean it in the grooves in between the woven strands?
    And no, before you say it, it is not where I put my labels. So I can't just reapply my own tape to cover it up. In fact, it is right where I put my hand. Every time I touch it, I get sticky.

Once tweed gets stained, it usually does not get unstained.

Maybe something like Goof Off? I dunno. There would be plenty of suggestions with a google search, but most of those probably wouldn't work anyway.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I did a google and lost patience.
      Most of it was tweed clothing or cleaning actual dirt.

Clothing is different, because you have access to both sides.
      Dirt is different because it is visible, not sticky.

So I tried here.

I've already tried:
      Alcohol. Fingernail polish remover. Windex. Goo Off (or is it Goo BeGone?).
      Really, when I asked if gasoline is safe on tweed, that is where I am at mentally.
      Unless someone has anything else to add.

Comment

I did have luck with a can of compressed air for blowing dirt out of a computer.
        Hold the can upside down and freeze the area where the goo is and pick it off with tweezers.
        Not sure all the dirt will come off that way but maybe the goo will.
        At that point try some Simple green and a tooth brush to lift the dirt off.
        Best not to use an oil based product because if it breaks the goo down it will spread or sink in deeper.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Well...
          A splash of good old fashioned 87 Octane got rid of it.

It's a little greasy now, but I am sure some Windex can clean that up.
          Either way --- it is not sticky anymore. And that's the important thing.

Comment

I'm disappointed in the utter lack of obvious jokes in this thread.

To get rid of the gasoline, you might try a Dawn mixture and maybe some Borax for good measure.

On a related note, I need to get rid of white Krylon from black tolex without lightening the material. But then a big grey splotch is probably better than a name.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              I'm disappointed in the utter lack of obvious jokes in this thread.
              Yeah, where's Rsmacker when you need him? This could have been a grossfest of epic proportions!

Comment

The issue has been resolved, so make all the jokes you want.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                  In fact, it is right where I put my hand. Every time I touch it, I get sticky.
                  #1 - This one was probably too obvious to even bother with. I mean, this is one of those times where "it goes without saying" holds true.

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  Best not to use an oil based product because if it breaks the goo down it will spread or sink in deeper.
                  #2 - The obligatory Monica Lewinski's Guide To Cleaning Jizz Out Of Clothes reference.

Well...
                  It's a little greasy now, but I am sure some Windex can clean that up.
                  Either way --- it is not sticky anymore. And that's the important thing.
                  #3 - "That's what she said!"

The issue has been resolved, so make all the jokes you want.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans View Post
                    Yeah, where's Rsmacker when you need him? This could have been a grossfest of epic proportions!
                    You know, when I saw the thread title, the VERY FIRST thing I thought was "It can't be harder to clean up than a heady mix of spunk and fanny batter which slews out when you've porked someone over an old Fender Bassman 2x15 cab". Ahem, I imagine...

(It's the glittery bits in the grille cloth which make it so hard to clean off)

Ah, that's better. Any other business I need to attend to here?
                    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Working...
                    X