Newest addition to the gun safe: World War 2 Garand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newest addition to the gun safe: World War 2 Garand

Picked this up as a barreled receiver, and finished it up last week. Took it to the range Sunday and it shot lights out. Only took a couple of enblocs to zero too. It's a 6 digit mid 800,000 serial numbered Garand. Serial number puts it's production somewhere in September of 1942. I always wanted to add a World War 2 Garand to the collection, and I'm glad I did. I was ringing my 10 inch steel gong at 175 yards with the irons 7 out of 8 times most every enbloc.

Ping!

Sweet gun.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Damn that is nice.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Awesome!

I'm not the hugest Garand fan... but one of my favorite all-time rifles is the Beretta BM-59, which is basically a shortened Garand with a detachable mag!

Patton sure loved it!
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

As a Paratrooper, the Garand will always have a special place in my heart.

Just an iconic rifle. Congrats on the purchase.

Comment

It's my second one. I also have a 5.4 million '54 Springfield too. Hands down they're my favorite guns to shoot at the range. I'm a decent shot, not great, but for whatever reason when I shoot them they make me look like I'm better than I really am. Great confidence guns for me!

Comment

Probably has to do with having such a big piece of wood in your hands
              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Are you re-loading your own ammo for that? My old boss has a few of these which I have shot a few times. He always told me that the grain count in modern 30-06 is too high for old M1's thus he always loads his own. I don't know how much truth there is too that, but I saw no reason not to believe him.

Comment

Originally posted by bratfink View Post
                  Are you re-loading your own ammo for that? My old boss has a few of these which I have shot a few times. He always told me that the grain count in modern 30-06 is too high for old M1's thus he always loads his own. I don't know how much truth there is too that, but I saw no reason not to believe him.
                  I shoot surplus Greek HXP M2 ball from the Civilian Marksmanship Program. I'm too chickenshit to reload. I'm scared I'd get sidetracked and either blow up my house or make a much too hot load and kaboom a gun. Most of the ammo I shoot in my old rifles is old military surplus. I really like the Greek HXP for 30-06 and 303 British.

Prvi Partisan is also making a Garand load that's supposed to be real good. I haven't tried it yet. If I remember right 150 grains and under is the rule of thumb for what you should use for the Garand to keep from bending operating rods.

Comment

Yup...THAT right there, is the gun I would have started my connection with...LOVE Garands......but 6 Mosins into it and still not 3/4 of the cost of one Garand, later...Not to mention ammo cost...I'm satisfied...jealous of you, but satisfied LOL
                    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

I'd love an M1 too, but CMP isn't an option for us non-citizen green card holders.... so I have to pay top dollar at a gun show to get one. I too have a Mosin, lovely rifle to shoot.

Comment

That's cool. As a Brit I'll never see anything like that never mind fire it, but I've used those exact guns in plenty of WW2 games on the PC and Xbox over the years!
                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

What manufacture is your WWII M1. I have a Winchester that I got about 10 years back. They are awesome guns and accurate as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by themisfit138 View Post
                            What manufacture is your WWII M1. I have a Winchester that I got about 10 years back. They are awesome guns and accurate as hell.
                            Both of mine are Springfields. I used to have a Win-13 Winchester Garand that was a Korean import, but I bought it purely as a piece to flip for a profit to fund other projects. I probably should have kept it, but the barrel was pretty much shot out on it. I'll post some pictures of it. I replaced the stock on it, and had to recrown the muzzle to get some type of decent muzzle wear readings. I also reblued the muzzle to get the finish to match. As you can tell by the photo's, I had to take the barrel down significantly to get to decent rifling. Just goes to prove that overexcessive cleaning with cleaning rods can wear down a muzzle. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that's what happened to it.

Before pictures.

After pictures.

Comment

Working...
                            X