Dish vs Direct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dish vs Direct?

$200/mo cable + internet package is getting old. In particular, the spotty service and lack of "something to watch". Dad's looking at Satellite, mostly for the expanded features of NFL Network.

Reading a brochure for Dish, I'm seeing a "possible" $300 startup fee, must sign up for auto-pay, credit check, and vague references to other potential fees. I'm also seeing where DishNet may come through local channels, such as my current one-horse-town Cable provider.

Then there's the commercial scare tactics of "you could end up paying $5000 in fines/fees/annual contract".

So whose Bait-and-Switch deal is better, Doosh Network or (Mis)Direct TV?

We've had one or the other some years ago (forget which), and seem to recall the old jokes about cats and clouds blocking the signal being more truth than joke. Has this improved?

20+ years ago, we had the Redneck Dish that could tune in Tokyo and space aliens from space, but clearly those days are gone.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

I've had direct tv for 12 years at 2 houses. yes sometimes is goes out in really heavy storms-it's improved since I got HD. my cable on the other hand the picture sucked and it went out even more. something is wrong if you have cats on your roof. lol. Dish sucks and unless they changed something you have to so many of the shows you can tape are the main channels. If you sign up for a number of years there should be deals to get free installation. if you go with directtv give them my name so I can get 10 off a month.lol

Comment

DirectTV is better than Dish Network. Both of their billing practices can be pretty horrible too though... kinda like AOL. Even if you quit the service, you might still be billed. Getting refunds suck... at least from what several of my friends have had to deal with over the years.

Comcast is evil, but unfortunately nobody else is providing a better alternative. AT&T U-verse sounds pretty ok, but from what I've read doesn't live up to the hype... you're probably better off with DirectTV. Unfortunately Verizon fios tv isn't available in most areas, so I really haven't looked into that at all.

And yeah, if you're gonna go for DirectTV, everyone is going to want to be your referral for that discount. lol
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I've had Uverse 300 package for 4 years now with intenet. I have had frustrations at times but never anything huge. Last year there was an issue with the residential gateway and they came out and just installed all the new wireless stuff rather than fix what was there and I didn't pay a dime. I pay right around $160 a month for tv and the highest tier internet. I did have the issue after the first year of service when the special I signed up with ended. The price jumped to $250 a month. I called and complained and they switched it back. The guy i talked to just said to call and complain if it gets changed and they'll change it back.

Before U verse I had Time Warner for years. Fuck them. I will go without before I would do business with them again.
        My Toys:
        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
        '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
        '94 Dinky HX in Black
        '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

A friend of mine had Direct TV, and it used to go out all the time in just slightly bad weather (like just a tiny bit of rain). My fiance moved in a few years ago and I got rid of cable and went with Dish since that's what she had and she wanted to keep paying for it. It will go out briefly in very bad weather, but not that much.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've been with DirecTV since the late 90's. I was going to switch to DISH a couple years ago but they couldn't provide NHL center ice so I stayed with them.

If properly aligned it will only go out during thunderstorms and heavy rain
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks all. I'll look into DirectTV instead of Dish.

As long as the box has component outs, I can do all the video capture stuff I want, or get one that takes HDMI In, rather than deal with their boxes and the fees. There aren't that many shows I watch to begin with, so being able to record multiple shows is irrelevant.

I do have a distribution amp to run to multiple TVs, so when Foo'bawl season gets to that point, I can skip the Multi-Room Fee. Again, the box would need component outs, though.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

the Receivers will put both out RGB Component and HDMI
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

I've been with Direct TV for at least 15 years. Best thing I ever did and haven't looked back since. I've shopped around and priced Dish (just to compare), but Dish fell very short on not only cost but also channel selection. Suddenlink was even worse than Dish.

It has to be one hell of a thunderstorm to block my Direct TV signal. If I lose signal, which is pretty damn rare, after 15 to 30 minutes tops I have it back even during a hella big thunderstorm. I've never lost Direct TV signal during the winter or during a snowstorm.
                  Last edited by Razor; 01-31-2015, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X