Another horror story from my local Guitar Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another horror story from my local Guitar Center

The last time I was there, they had a country guitarist as their 'guy'. Ever play a V set up for slide guitar? Twangin on a Warlock?
    And half the wall was empty. I thought they may have been going out of business.

I stopped in today...
    Entire wall is filled.
    I picked up a cream/ivory Epiphone Les Paul (think Randy Rhoads). Horrible neck bend. Its unplayable. Its an Epiphone, they must really suck.
    I picked up a silver glitter daisy rock. Horrible neck bend. Its unplayable. Its a DRG, I half expected that.
    LTD EC-1000. LTD EC-1000. Jackson Rhoads RRXMG. All have a horrible neck bend. Its unplayable.

Is the black guy in the dj section buring incense? Something really smelled.

Who the hell is working at this place.
    Last edited by pianoguyy; 07-22-2014, 09:43 PM.

Neck bend what do you mean exactly?
    If you came all the way from China in a box I'll bet your neck would be bent too.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Forward bow.
      Most likely a simple truss rod adjustment would fix it. But, since they were all set the same, I assume its on purpose.
      We are talking action of 1/4" at the 12th fret (eye ball estimate, not measured). Closer at the 1st and 24th.

I realize that a setup is typical after purchase, but how does one even test a guitar like that to get to the point of purchase.

Comment

almost all guitars I ever pickup are setup horrible at GC. sam ash too. $3300 prs's with 1/4 or higher action.

Comment

If it was in the employee's job descriptions to set them all up correctly upon un-boxing them, they'd probably do it. Generally seem like good people working there. Or they're not paid enough too.

Sounds like an HR issue.
          Jackson KV2
          Jackson KE1T
          Jackson KE1F
          Jackson SL1

Comment

My Local GC offered me the tech job and I asked a few questions relating to that and they said we normally unbox them and hang them up.
            I guess they figure who ever buys it will do a set up.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
              My Local GC offered me the tech job and I asked a few questions relating to that and they said we normally unbox them and hang them up.
              I guess they figure who ever buys it will do a set up.
              that makes sense to some extent since setups are very subjective to the buyer, so why do it twice, but sure, there are probably some in there that feel so off when you pick it up that it would make you hesitate to buy it. I'm sure customers mess some things up, but are certainly not adjusting the necks when they try them out

would take a full to time employee just to retune everything after people get in there and mess around
              Last edited by Larz; 07-23-2014, 08:52 PM.
              Jackson KV2
              Jackson KE1T
              Jackson KE1F
              Jackson SL1

Comment

Maybe because I am old(er) and did not grow up in the internet age where you point and click and 3 days later a package arrives... find out if you actually like it or not after you buy it.
                I just can't picture buying something in that kind of condition. There needs to be a minimal amount of playability, doesn't there?
                And then you fine tune it.

Comment

Of course, I wouldn't buy one that felt as bad as what you describe with neck bend/twist issues, but when it comes to high action level or dead strings or something like that, you can't always please everyone out of the box
                  Jackson KV2
                  Jackson KE1T
                  Jackson KE1F
                  Jackson SL1

Comment

What is described here is not neck twist but rather bow. As far as I know you can adjust the truss rod to address bow. You can't adjust twist. Anyway, you have to keep in mind some manufacturers do better factory setups than others before shipping their guitars. Even so, the climate at GC here in Ohio where I live is vastly different than one in CA for example. So they change a bit. I've always felt factory setups is one area USA Jacksons excelled at. They seem to always be at least playable if not optimal out of the box. I have no complaints about GC really. I've bought several used guitars from them over the years for good deals, all were awesome after setting them up.
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

I think the whole point of the OP was not if the guitars can be fixed/set up but rather that they aren't playable to start with so you can't tell if you'd like it or not.

It's like go ing to a dealer to test drive a car & none of them start. Sure, they can be fixed but how can you tell if you like them if you can't drive them at that time?

They just throw these axes on the hangers & walk away. If I worked in a guitar store, I'd be itching to tune up & play every guitar that comes out of it's box, not to mention making them playable for potential sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Force View Post
                        I think the whole point of the OP was not if the guitars can be fixed/set up but rather that they aren't playable to start with so you can't tell if you'd like it or not.

It's like go ing to a dealer to test drive a car & none of them start. Sure, they can be fixed but how can you tell if you like them if you can't drive them at that time?

They just throw these axes on the hangers & walk away. If I worked in a guitar store, I'd be itching to tune up & play every guitar that comes out of it's box, not to mention making them playable for potential sales.
                        I'm not excusing them for not having properly set up guitars but the reality is they don't make money if their employees are playing the guitars themselves and setting them up all day. The same way a dealership doesn't make money if the salesman is out test driving the car themselves all day long LOL. They really should have someone at each store however that does set them up at least somewhat playable as they certainly stock enough of them to justify restringing and adjusting them. Of course if you know the guitar is good but just needs a setup you can use it to your advantage to talk them down on price. It worked for me on a used CS Jackson Kelly that was originally owned and ordered by Jack Frost
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                          It worked for me on a used CS Jackson Kelly that was originally owned and ordered by Jack Frost
                          Rudy, Please post a pic...
                          Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I let the sales guys know that they need to keep a better eye on the guitars that need attention.
                            If I worked there I would at least give the truss rod a tweak if it needed it without asking if I could.
                            I believe a guitar that plays reasonably well will sell quicker than one that won't because its so far out of whack.
                            Just makes sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
                              Rudy, Please post a pic...
                              I have posted them before but I'll put some up again for you later I even scored a nice used Rhoads LTD at GC before. I'll put up pix of that one as well.
                              Rudy
                              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                              X