when do you sell gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when do you sell gear?

I've never really sold much before, I sold a line 6 flextone once (ordered it used and hated it) and I've sold an Ibanez s470 (practically gave away to a friend) body after the neck broke.

I've got a lot of stuff I never really touch because it's not my go to stuff. Somebody offered to buy an emg 89 I have lying around and I said no but I will trade for your 81 or some tuners. Dunno why, I'm like a gear who're even tho I know I won't use it.

To the topic, when do you sell gear? When you need money? When you want new stuff? When you got new stuff and don't use the old? Part of me says well if it's not number one or two, why have it? And part of me is like noo all the gear are belong to me. Both parts of me are seeking justification. Hah
    I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

I like to buy lots of different things and try them out. If I like it I keep it. If it's meh or I progress to where I want to take it to the next level then I will sell it.
    I tend to buy used gear for the big stuff and I patiently wait for a good deal. Anytime I have sold something (3 amps and 1 effect in last 2 months) I have always made at least $5. As an additional bonus I got to try the gear out and hopefully learn a thing or two along the way.

Comment

I'm a parts whore. I literally have 5 plastic totes full of trems, bridges, tuners, pickups, etc. Enough to probably build a few more guitars.
      I rarely sell parts, but I do occasionally use some for trade bait if I see something else I need.

But I sell guitars, amps an effects all the time.
      Basically if I can't bond with a guitar, I sell it.
      I have about 5 that I love and 7 that I rarely use, but love to play on occasion. They are unique enough to me to keep around.
      -Rick

Comment

Selling is more trouble than storing and ignoring.
        Any way you could possibly put more shit into your sig?

Comment

Some of the stuff bewilders me, I've had a hartke bass head for years collecting dust. I don't even own a bass guitar or cab. Hah

Comment

Originally posted by artonsafari View Post
            Selling is more trouble than storing and ignoring.
            On ebay maybe but craigslist is so easy, make them come to you. If I want something gone I can sell it in hours @ the right price on CL.
            Since I make sure I am getting a good deal when I buy, when I sell I put it up for a few dollars more and it generally moves within a week or two.

Comment

Selling is hassle, but not selling what isn't being used is hoarding
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

After it's broken. lol I'm not able to sell much of my stuff. I want to but, my mind decides that I might need it later and then it never leaves.
                I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

I sell gear (mostly for show) after my interventions.

Comment

Selling is a pain in the ass and takes time. I work a lot and just don't have the time to deal with it. I just buy, but I haven't been interested in buying anything much lately.

Comment

Part of me is like, you know, this guitar could be perfect for someone else, could be there number one, and then the other half chimes in with a Gollum voice all like "fuck that, I bought it it's my mine, my precious!"

And one day I could buy a bass guitar, you never know lol

Comment

Originally posted by Catharpin View Post
                        On ebay maybe but craigslist is so easy, make them come to you. If I want something gone I can sell it in hours @ the right price on CL.
                        Since I make sure I am getting a good deal when I buy, when I sell I put it up for a few dollars more and it generally moves within a week or two.
                        I'm just playing, I don't like selling stuff in general.
                        Any way you could possibly put more shit into your sig?

Comment

I pretty much only sell when Im GASing or if I find something else that I think will be better. I have a couple examples; the Mustaine VMNT I just bought. I sold a cheapo Kramer 100ST that I bought off of my friend's friend for $50 as a first time project. Cleaned it up and changed the strings and practially just let it sit in my closet for a year. As soon as I got home from GC I threw the Kramer up on Craigslist and sold it two days later for $120. Basically just to make up for some of the damage from the new guitar I just bought. And it didn't hurt cause I never played it.
                          Gear:

Jackson DK2M (07')

Jackson PS-4 (99'?)

Charvel Model 5 (86')

Randall RG50TC

Maxon OD-9

Comment

I don't sell anything because I feel guilt in passing along something that isn't new. I have 2 guitars that I never play because they have small issues. I also don't sell them because I wouldn't feel right taking their actual value, so rather than lose out on that value I just park on them.

It doesn't help that I'm a massive pack rat. I'm trying to work on letting things go though.
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I've only sold gear to fund more gear.
                              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Working...
                              X