Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you get your lead singer to stop smoking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get your lead singer to stop smoking?

Any tips? He smokes a lot and even though his voice is naturally raspy.. its almost at the CC Deville stage!

He did quit about a year ago for 3 months and his voice never sounded better live. Our fans and friends even commented about how good his voice was sounding but he wasn't able to kick the habit for good. He is a great singer and front man but the cigs are really screwing his voice up and I am forced to bail him out on a lot of the higher register vocal parts.

He is very sensitive so this isn't something we can just throw out there. You know how singers are!

play him live and interview clips of Fates Warning and more specifically Ray Alder. that is a guy that has lost pretty much ALL of his range because of smoking. maybe he will make the connection on his own....
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Just throw it out there, but approach it from a positive angle. Communication is the only thing that will work.

Comment

tell him you want him around in your future and not dead from cancer.
        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I smoke and knowing how difficult it would be were I to attempt to quit, I know where your singer is coming from BUT what's more important to him, the cig or what ya'll have going on with the band? I say hit him with it straight on. He'll be the one looking like an ass if he puts cigs ahead of the band.
          In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Buy him one of those nicorette spray bottles.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Maybe he could try electronic cigarettes. Little less unhealthy than normal ones.

Comment

Maybe ask his family and those who are dear to him to ask him to stop. It obviously is not good for you from a general health perspective, much less from a vocal perspective.
                Jackson KV2
                Jackson KE1T
                Jackson KE1F
                Jackson SL1

Comment

His wife smokes like a fiend too. I am going to talk to him about it. Its more about his health than the bands health. He is a personal friend of mine. He is just extremely sensitive and defensive when it comes to stuff like this. I will turn him on to the Fates Warning idea.

Comment

by bringing in a second capable vocalist to practice and say this is your replacement if you want to keep smoking lol

seriously, I cannot believe people still smoke tobacco especially with all the known health risks associated with smoking.

I quit a 2.5 pac a day habit cold turkey about 20 years ago because I wanted to live to see my sons grow to be men and watch my grandkids grow if mys ons decide to have kids
                    Last edited by Shawn Lutz; 04-23-2014, 03:18 PM.
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

I second the e-cigarette idea.

They are way healthier than smoking, and a good percentage of people who use them quit smoking entirely. Of those that don't completely quit, a lot (like my father in law) use them in conjunction with actual cigarettes to reduce the amount they smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                        His wife smokes like a fiend too.
                        That's real tough w the wife smoking too. It'd be way easier if both stop together...if they can do it without killing each other. Otherwise, maybe buy him a can of Skoal and tell him to switch...her too! Sure it's not better, but his voice should be.
                        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

John, you're in a tough spot. My experiences with this type of situation, I don't smoke but have dealt with many that do/have, is you can't really do much. With that being said, because you are friends, friends first, don't come at him with the band at all. Come to him as his friend, and your concern as his friend. Thats the best you can do. The rest is up to him. Good luck.
                          "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Many " Pro" singers don't smoke, but end up not having the range they once had just because of age

Personally don't get the witchhunt on smoking, but hey, it's always nice to rub in peoples vices
                            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Stop smoking with Nicotrel. LMAO. liu.
                              I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Working...
                              X