Punk Rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punk Rock

When I was younger and the kids my age were into punk, I was into metal and classic rock. Now It seems that I'm drifting off from metal and into punk. I used to think punk was all hardcore, black flag, screaming nonsense, but I've discovered there is some good punk out there, or at least what I would call good. I'm into bands like The Living End, The Offspring, Social D, no doubt, and a few others. I'm not sure how to classify these bands. Are they happy punk? pop punk? Skater punk? The living end is punkabilly and no doubt is ska. What punk genre's do these bands fall into? What are some other good punk rock bands I should check out? What punk rock bands have great musicianship, catchy hooks and great overall songs?

I always liked the Offspring but thought they were way better than the punk bands they get lumped in with.

Comment

Around 1980 or 81, as a very young kid, I got to see (most of these bands, not sure if I'm remembering them all correctly) Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, GBH, (Discharge or Exploited don't really remember) and a few others play at our local community college for Halloween. That was pretty awesome.

My favorite punk band from back then is probably Exploited. They actually knew how to play.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Punk is for punks

Comment

i classify offspring as pop punk

id like misfits and pennywise.. pennywise kicks ass imo

to me... those are punk as well
          GEAR:
          #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
          #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
          #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
          #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
          #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
          AMPS:
          1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
          ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

Check into The Down Fi,The Jereactors and Deezen.
            Done shows with all three bands and they kick ass.
            One of my faves is Rocket From The Tombs a really a great punk band form the 70's
            My friend Craig is still in Rocket and doing some European dates coming up soon.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

fuckin' ramones baby!!
              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I grew up a hardcore kid in the 80s and 90 but there's plenty of good punk bands too. Misfits, The Exploited, GBH, Dead Kennedys, Operation Ivy, Fear, Samhain, etc. A couple of female fronted bands are The Distillers and Tilt. Also, check out The Gits and Evil Stig.

As with any kind of music, there's a lot of bands that drift between genres. If you want to talk hardcore, then I can give you many more suggestions

And for some local bands from the New Haven area from the 90s/00s, check out The Pist and Broken.
                Last edited by Codex; 03-04-2014, 07:15 PM.

Comment

NoFx has some nice playing mixed in with 20+ albums, you have to hunt for it though... Goldfingers first album was ok ska - check out 'Answers'.. Another vote for Pennywise, full circle or straight ahead are my favorite albums... Suicidal's first album is the tits!!! The whole punk genre has a fuck load of sub genres, really depends on what you like...
                  Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I enjoyed The Cramps back in the day. They were kind of punk rockabilly. Definitely no showy musicianship going on there though.

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

this is punk/2014 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNr0SUjJy-U

Comment

Originally posted by pickford1625 View Post
                        BL13RA did it better :P

Comment

^^^ thats the singers favorite band. the difference between the 2 is that barbaric is playing my basement next month. bad luck 13 is pretty epic...... gg still reigns supreme.

Comment

My tastes leaned more to the extreme & hardcore side of things, but I think Agent Orange might be something The Rossness might really enjoy. Pretty sure these guys were a big influence on more melodic bands like The Offspring.

Individual track links are in the comments if you want to skip around.

This is the better version (imo) of "Bloodstains" than the one in the above link:

Comment

Bad Religion is another one that's similar to what you listed in the OP. They had a new release last year. I've only heard the title track, and it's pretty good:

Off-topic but kinda funny. I was on another board the other day and the subject of West Coast punk came up. I'm always reminded that I'm getting old, but it really hit home hard when people started talking about the "old-school" stuff from around '03.

Comment

Working...
                              X