NUHD: Anybody play Eventides?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NUHD: Anybody play Eventides?

So I got a cool new piece of gear for free. Free gear is better than free beer! A friend of my parents was relocating/downsizing and gave them some leftover stuff that was in the way. One of those items (strangely) was an Eventide H3000-D/SX, which eventually made its way to MY gear room. This seemed to be quite generous, as these can be sold for hundreds of dollars on the bay (more on that later...) It sat around for a while, and I finally got it installed in my rack. I did a basic power on test first, and everything seemed to be in good working condition. I believe this is an early 90's model, and it would seem to be a good match for my 90's era POD PRO which has pretty limited effects. It only has XLR inputs, so you can't just plug a guitar into it. The trouble is, the ins and outs are not quite compatible. I needed to make a couple effects loop cables, which I did (balanced mono XLR to unbalanced stereo 1/4", with different pinouts between the send and return):

OK then I had to set jumpers on the mainboard to set the H3000 up for the -10dBV consumer line level that the POD expects, after blowing out some dust. Done. Here it is on my ESD pad getting worked on:

I get this baby in the rack, factory reset it, set the software levels through the front panel, and everything came right up. I'm DIGGING the presets on it, very nice delays, reverbs, flanges, etc. The harmonizer presets are wild! All of a sudden, this thing just goes offline. The bypass relay clicks and it seems to just sort of crash. Ugh! Power reset, after a minute...it does it again. Well there's no way it's overheating, it's not that hot and it's all passive cooling. I dig around on the forums, and that power connector on the upper left of the mainboard seems to be the root of all evil on these things. I tear everything down again, and clean those contacts with some DeoxIT. All back together again, and she's staying on. WOOHOO I'm really enjoying this thing!

wow, very cool. Free is always good.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Nice! I have a Pitchfactor pedal which has modes that emulate a couple different historic H3000 models. I'm sure in 20 times less IC's.

They really let you realize the Steve Vai probably recorded Passion and Warfare after a week with the H3000 and a bag of weed.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Fuck yeah! I had one of the H3000 non-DX models a few years ago, and the cable situation threw me for a loop (ba-dump-bump) but once I got the right cables and hooked it up, it was really nice. Wish I'da kept it, but the lure of more Jacksons is strong

And yeah, sold it for a nice sum. Didn't make anything off it, but still got a decent amount.

Congrats on the free killer gear!
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks, yeah just a bit of research and some elbow grease and I've got a nice addition to my rack. I've been hammering on it for a few hours and it's running great now.

Comment

Eventide's are awesome in every way. I have an Eventide Eclipse and it's barre none the best sounding processor I've ever owned. Plus you can't beat the price you paid bro!
            This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Old school hotness.

Comment

Congrats. I have an Eclipse (the H3000's successor). The old school harmonizers do require resoldering of the cable pins (don't remember which) in order to reduce hum and distortion.
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

What I liked most about it was that you could really get in there and customize an algorithm - dictate what each note will have for a harmony. You're not stuck with "repeat this scale xx higher/lower", but can set each note up, down, or the same, and by how much (semi tones as well as whole tones). My IPS33 can do that to a limited degree (and is only one rack space high ) but the H3K does it so much better.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                    What I liked most about it was that you could really get in there and customize an algorithm - dictate what each note will have for a harmony. You're not stuck with "repeat this scale xx higher/lower", but can set each note up, down, or the same, and by how much (semi tones as well as whole tones). My IPS33 can do that to a limited degree (and is only one rack space high ) but the H3K does it so much better.
                    +1 That is a big bonus. I love things like that. The worst thing in the world is when you have a piece of equipment that sounds great but just isn't very user friendly. The Eclipse is very user friendly and the sound quality is incredible. I've never played and H3000 but I've heard nothing but good things.
                    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Working...
                    X