Still kicking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still kicking

Yeah, I'm still alive. Management doesn't leave me much time for anything anymore. Not even family life. I basically sleep at home and the rest of the time I'm at work. Don't play much anymore, and by not much I mean once a month for 5 minutes maybe. I collect knives now. Something I use every day ( I pull my knife out probably 50 times a day no joke), so it's really the only thing that makes sense as a hobby anymore. I get GAS for knives now. I'm just as picky about knives as I am for guitars and amps. The only difference is price. They're cheap enough so far that I don't have to trade so it's kind of a hobby that started spontaneously. I'm not a knife snob by any means but did acquire my first moderately priced knife as a present from my wife and mother in law.

All that aside, if I come across a Dark Terror and Orange 112 cab for the right price, consider it sold. Other than that, I have no real life outside of work anymore.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

You are lucky, I pull my pud out at least 50 times a day, but the police have told me it doesn't count as a hobby and if I do it again in Tesco, I'm going to jail.
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Good to see your still traveling okay, gotta have a hobby of some kind, doesn't matter what it is. It's a shame when work takes over but that will change in time & you should have some money behind you by then, hopefully.

Comment

Here's the main collection so far. I also have quite a few different designs of fold up razor knives too, but they're just not the same.
        Last edited by Twitch; 12-31-2013, 10:04 PM.

Comment

1. Gerber Bear Grylis fixed blade survival knife (fixed blade)
          2. Gerber Bear Grylis folder (lock back folder)
          3. Taylor Brands S&W SWMP1600 USA made auto (auto)
          4. Kershaw Cryo (assisted opener)
          5. Leatherman CL30 (Leathermans shitty assisted opener thing)
          6. Cheapy flea market special (assisted opener)
          7. Leatherman Sidekick (multitool)

Comment

How are the Bear Grylis stuff? I've heard / read comments where people think it's iffy to junk with a celebrity name on it, there's a couple decent-ish reviews but mostly negative but I kind of expect that on the internet anymore and I doubt any of them actually owned them.

So give us a review!
            In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Gotta say my Leatherman Charge is a go to tool that I use basically on a daily basis. Really does live up to its multi tool billing. So much so I have three of them. Never leave home without one of mine.
              I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
                How are the Bear Grylis stuff? I've heard / read comments where people think it's iffy to junk with a celebrity name on it, there's a couple decent-ish reviews but mostly negative but I kind of expect that on the internet anymore and I doubt any of them actually owned them.

So give us a review!
                Ok, the Bear Grylis knives seem to be decent. I haven't used them extensively but the big one seems to be rock solid. I've not been camping/surviving with them so to their toughness and practicality I can't say. However, I would expect them to hold up. The big one has some serious girth and the smaller ones back lock is rock solid. Edge retention, again I don't know but I really didn't buy them to use that often, I liked the design and price. The big one, $50 at wally world, the little, $20 at my place of employment. If I were to guess, they're in line with their respective price points.

The M&P, is it $160 worth of knife, depends on your expectations and knowledge of the new fancy steels. I fucking love it and think the price is justified. I however didn't pay the price for it (Christmas gift). After owning it and using it for a week now, yes, I'd buy it myself full price. It's just solid and is super tough.

The Kershaw, for $40, it's the show stopper. It's every bit as solid as the M&P, the only real difference is the blade steel and it's not auto. It is Chinese made unlike the M&P, which is USA made. If the Kershaw had the same blade steel and was USA made I'd think it would be in the same price point as the M&P even though it's not an auto. I'm really torn which I like better, the M&P or the Kershaw. In a purely utilitarian aspect, they both are in the same class.

The Leatherman folder: I bought it on a whim as it advertised assisted opening. Not the case in the traditional sense. It's "assisted" opening mechanism isn't a spring loaded blade but a lever on the back that magnifies your input onto it. It still requires a bit of a flick of the wrist but not much of one. Edge retention isn't that great but it sharpens easy. For a $20 knife it's not a loss.

The green cheapy knife: Simply, it was my first assisted opening knife. $10 at a shop in Gattlinburg on my honeymoon this year. I liked the design and it was $10. It's really not that bad. After a loctite treatment to the pivot screw its actually pretty solid. The pivot screw loosening is just a pitfall of the assisted/auto opening knife. Blue loctite will fix it.

The Leatherman Sidekick: I love it. Very useful. Didn't know how useful it would actually be until I found it to be really useful. Wrap your head around that Numerous times I've ended up using the screw driver tools instead of wasting time digging through the "toolbox" at work. They actually work really well. You'd think by looking at them that they would slip and strip out screws, but they actually work quite adequately. Not bad for $40. A big selling point to me on this one was that the knife blade could be accessed without opening the tool.
                Last edited by Twitch; 01-01-2014, 10:11 PM.

Comment

still kicking and still twitching, nice to see you pal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywsn8hubWUI
                  Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
                    Gotta say my Leatherman Charge is a go to tool that I use basically on a daily basis. Really does live up to its multi tool billing. So much so I have three of them. Never leave home without one of mine.
                    I feel the same way about my Gerber Crucial. I have like 5 of them...one in my Jeep, one in my go bag, one in a pocket for work...love small multitools.

I've narrowed down my knives to just 3 for the moment. Oddly enough, they're all Striders. My DB-L and SMF are "work" knives and the SnG is my EDC off duty.

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                      You are lucky, I pull my pud out at least 50 times a day, but the police have told me it doesn't count as a hobby and if I do it again in Tesco, I'm going to jail.

Yeah they told me the same thing

p.s. the Dark Terror is AMAZZZINGG
                      Last edited by AussieTerry84; 01-03-2014, 07:33 AM.
                      USA Jackson RR1
                      Charvel Model 6
                      Jackson Performer-2
                      Orange Dark Terror
                      EVH 5150 LBX
                      Hello Senòr

Comment

Working...
                      X