Newfound Paul Gilbert Awe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newfound Paul Gilbert Awe

I'd seen his picture in magazines. I'd heard him mentioned here with respect. I'd seen goofy Japanese TV shows with him on Youtube. I'd seen enough vids of him covering "Snortin Whiskey" to know he could step up to the plate and handle any of my favorite guitar-heavy classics.

But I didn't know he covered "Godzilla"..........WOW !

http://youtu.be/tUDEnyLog90 ..... Absolutely everything a cover of this tune should be, and with awesome video editing.

There's a Godzilla remake coming out....... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjKO10hKtYw

I was watching lackluster BOC live versions of this tune, then decided to look for interesting covers of it. Nothing could've prepared me for this, though.
    Last edited by Grawnday; 12-13-2013, 02:50 PM.

I like this live version

Comment

He is an amazing player.

Comment

OP, what year did you start playing?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
          OP, what year did you start playing?
          1984, and strictly as a hobby. I'd never dug too deeply into the pantheon of guitar gods till I started visiting this site. I'm still "discovering" players that you guys have grown up with, heard all their music, and seen multiple times. Marty Friedman is another one.....D'oh !

Comment

He liked the monster theme back in the day. Viking Kong being another example hehe. He wrote that one for Yngwie.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I actually met Paul once and got to hang out with him for a whole day. His mother used to work at PNC bank with my mom. I always thought he was from Chicago but it turns out he grew up in Greensburg Pa. about 50 miles from were I lived. I met him in 1987 at the PNC Bank Kennywood picnic. He was already pretty famous in L.A. at that point and was playing in Racer X and teaching at G.I.T but he was a super cool guy. I got to hang out with him for the whole picnic and just basically sat there and picked his brain. He's definitely one of the most talented guys to ever pick up a guitar. You guys should see his hands though. They look like God created them specifically for the neck of a guitar.
              This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I've met Paul a couple times, briefly, at NAMM. Always a nice a guy. Here are a few shots of him I took at NAMM 2009 with Racer X. Notice the Marshall Randy Rhoads amps he was playing that night

Rudy
                www.metalinc.net

Comment

Yeah he has freak hands like Vai. They probably could have been good basketball players.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

His pinkie is longer than my arm!!!!
                    www.vvforums.com

Comment

I've already been waiting for this movie for a few years... kept getting held up/delayed by legalities. TOHO sucks. Looks like the Americans may due this classic monster justice this time. The 98 movie was a total embarrassment.
                      Paul Gilbert's pretty cool too.
                      Hear the universe scream
                      Bleeding from black holes
                      Whom horns careless
                      And whom God mourns

Comment

Working...
                      X