Buyer beware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buyer beware

I don't post much, but maybe posting my story with be theraputic somehow. About 3 months ago I bought a ford 150 from a dealer's as is lot. It sounded like a great deal at the time, but I dismissed my initial doubts because the interior was in rough shape and the previous owner was a smoker. I've only ever onwed beaters and small cars so my expectations were minor repairs would be manageble.

Well about a month after owning it I started to have some doubts, the engine made a lot of ticking noises which I thought was normal for overhead cam engines, but some internet research suggested it could be a relativly expensive valve train job, so I decided to try and trade it in before it needed any big repairs. Unfortunately it was too late and when they evaluated it for the trade in value they discovered that the crank bearings were finished and the entire engine would have to be replaced/rebuilt, at the same time they found numerous other major problems with ball joints, differentials and transfer case.

In the end I my good deal cost me about $7,000.00 after all is said and done. I am lucky that I don't have to borrow anything or go into debt to get passed this but its going to sting for a long time. I've always heard people suggest that if you think its a great deal it probably isn't, and you should always get a trusted mechanic to look over anything you are considering buying, but now I will have that lesson well learned.

I hope if anyone else is considering a major purchase that they slow down and do some homework, if someone else nabs it in the meantime they are the one who will take the risk, and the risk is probably not worth it.

Can't your immaculate new truck mysteriously catch fire down some lonely country lane one dark night, leaving you to sadly trouser a nice insurance cheque? Surely the amount your premium climbs next time is going to be less than the 7k this truck cost you?
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Working...
    X