No announcement yet.

Now it's coming out: why Gibson was targeted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

" what the general public doesn't know is what makes them the general public"

(Ray Zalinsky- Auto Parts King- Tommy Boy)
    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
      The Lacey Act violates the US Constitution by enforcing the laws of foreign nations within the borders of the U.S.
      If Canada outlawed the use of Birch for amp cabinets, American amp builders could not use it either. Seems fucked up.
      Isn't illegaly importing endangered flora/fauna into the US just a basic law, like it is with most eco-contiuous nations these days?
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
        look folks, democrat or republican - liberal or conservative - these are often just labels used to turn the vast majority of the country against each other, so the very small elites actually in control on both sides maintain their power. Sometimes, everything else is just blather to keep us sheep under control.
        this!
        "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
          Then would they actually be conspiracy theorists?
          conspiracy factists

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Facts are revealed upon, credible and personal investigation of evidence. Anything else reported is propaganda and hearsay.

Turn off the idiot box. Every talking head and viewer are wearing tin foil hats. If you're reading or listening to your newsreader, newscaster, anchorman or anchorwomanan ect of choice..you are SUCKERS!!!

Facts are subjective depending what party you listen or talk to. So my advice is, If it doesn't directy affect or involved you in any way, shape or form..FUGGUMS!

Long live the Misanthrope!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I thank the mighty Mitt. Man, I can see right thru humans...especially as thin as him.

Let me explain..briefly, and cryptically.

During one of his "debates"..heheee. I had THE epiphany of my life while he was wearing "The Good Guy Badge". Yes, MF the Enemy while doing big biz with it...YES!!!!

I did, and the prophit..or prophet was good!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                " what the general public doesn't know is what makes them the general public"

(Ray Zalinsky- Auto Parts King- Tommy Boy)
                "He seems like a nice guy"

Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                  Yeah, I thought he sounded like a smug asshole as well. "look at me saving the environment and pat my back while I corner the market and get rich from doing it".
                  "The Good Guy Badge"...

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                    "The Good Guy Badge"...
                    There is a good essay on that in The Devil's Notebook

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                      wow. From what I can glean from that article (an article about someone else's article?) is that EVERY other guitar manufacturer that also uses East Indian Rosewood are Democratic contributors. Because that's the only reason they got away with breaking the same laws that Gibson did.

Or, maybe, they didn't break the law, Gibson did and the recent IRS scandal is an opportunity to retroactively cry foul about some govt conspiracy? I didn't see in either article any mention of contributions to Romney's presidential campaign. Only that small contributions were made to a couple of Republican representatives. Should anyone who makes any contribution of any amount to any Republican candidate at any level now be fearful that the govt is making designs to kick down their door? That makes much more sense than the idea that Gibson did something wrong and had to take their lumps.
                      Lol, do I sense sarcasm?
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by watson503 View Post
                        There is a good essay on that in The Devil's Notebook
                        Yes!! I read it almost 20 years ago. I have all his books, and know most by heart. You can say I'm a fan..for the most part.

Comment

According to IBD, one of Gibson’s top competitors, C.F. Martin & Co., frequently uses the same “East Indian Rosewood” without any legal repercussions. The editorial also notes that C.F. Martin & Co. CEO gives to Democratic candidates, while Gibson’s CEO is a Republican donor.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/26/pa...#ixzz2VEpA9UPt
                          I had mentioned this detail only to get dismisses as tinfoil hat crazy.

And I still wouldn't be the elast bit surprised if it's true. Governments aren't always the good guys we'd like them to be.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                            http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyl...Settlemen.aspx

My interpretation of the legalise mumbo-jumbo, etc...

- Gibson's CEO is a noted Republican supporter & Democratic hater. (He's also quite a douche, in general, or so I'm told.)
                            - His political leanings and bias lead him to believe that the Federal raids were politically-motivated "retribution". So he cries bloody hell about it.
                            - In fact, the settlement agreement between Gibson and the Feds explicitly states - as agreed to by BOTH parties - that there is some ambiguity in the governing law, and Congress should consider fixing it to avoid future interpretation issues in its enforcement.
                            - That said, Gibson did not exercise enough due diligence to VERIFY that the wood supplier and actual wood itself did not violate the law. This is also stated in the settlement agreement agreed to by both parties. Perhaps this was just an "honest mistake". Or perhaps it was a cute way for Gibson's CEO to import wood that was not necessarily totally on the "up and up", yet have plausible deniability that he didn't intend to break the law.

Your interpretation may vary.

Yes he has his views, but it doesn't cloud his business judgment from what I can see, hence how openly far-left people like Billie Joe Armstrong and Sheryl Crowe got Gibson sig models.

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                            The Lacey Act violates the US Constitution by enforcing the laws of foreign nations within the borders of the U.S.
                            If Canada outlawed the use of Birch for amp cabinets, American amp builders could not use it either. Seems fucked up.

That kind of legislation can escalate to "if China outlaws the sale of Jackson/Charvel guitars and basses, then we're fucked".

And then we'll see real change in D.C. when I paint the town red with the blood of anyone whose job description is "politician".

It's another case of "it's legal because it's what the people in power want." There's a lot of that going around these days.

Comment

Working...
                            X