So...we got a Great Dane..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So...we got a Great Dane..

We were in Petsmart a few weeks ago. An adoption place had a beautiful gray Great Dane for adoption. Curtis fell in love with her, but never said a word about wanting her.
    After we get home, he tells me this...it was too late, she was already adopted.
    So, all I hear is Great Dane this, Great Dane that..etc etc etc lol..His birthday is the first..so..I got him (us) a Great Dane. I've NEVER owned a giant like this..but he's awesome. The cats still hate him..but he just wants to play with them. So I"m learning about owning a gentle giant..oh hell, it's a learning experience..Any other large/giant breed owners???

So gang, meet Bruce..our new Dane

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/guit...Bruce the Dane

Need a garbage bag to clean up his poop when you're out on the streets!!!
    www.vvforums.com

Comment

Cool Dogs
      sigpic
      Action Jackson

Comment

Cute fellow! Congrats on the dog. Can't help you with any advice, though. I've got two dogs, but they're mini-schnauzers.

Comment

I've got a 140 lb. Shepherd/Lab. He's a big baby. You get used to the size. Eventually, the behemoth terrorizing the living room is just your little buddy.
          "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

way to go Jeri!!
            got a tip for you with the mighty danes, when you feed him, put the food bowl up on a small table or footstool or something so he doesn't
            have to put his head all the way down and swallow upwards, it's really not good for them to eat from the ground up because of their size.
            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

He's "great"! Congratz!! In our local pet stores/adoption agencies there are mostly Chihuahuas.
              Sam

Comment

Oh wow. Cool
                I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

congrats, Jeri!

Hail yesterday

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l1VyrpvVFY

Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Happy NGDD!
                      Good to see you Jeri.

Our dog is just a 60 lb. german shep mutt with a big dog attitude.
                      She was literally raised by cats and we never had a problem with the pecking order.
                      The oldest cat ruled the nest!

Comment

congrats and good luck! My big dog is 69lbs. I was looking for the picture I have of my brother's one dog and mine together where he looks like he would walk over the top of mine. 120+lbs of black lab/newfoundland. My brother also has a saluki and a pitbull. My brothers' wife (who's dog it really is) can't walk him. Loudest bark I've ever heard and he's VERY playful. I know from visits that it takes a special kind of person to deal with dogs that size.

Comment

Did you perform the test? The test Beavis, the test!
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                            I know from visits that it takes a special kind of person to deal with dogs that size.
                            meaning...
                            Sam

Comment

One of my friends owned a Great Dane... awesome dog, just really obnoxious when they get excited. Their tails are genital-height, a proper wag can put a guy down like they were pepper sprayed or tazed. Furniture will be re-arranged often and you need to watch what you put on tables and counters... They're amazing dogs, but they absolutely don't realize how big they are. Expect stuff to break or having him flop on top of you in bed or on the couch, but unlike most dogs, this affection can hurt.

Sadly, that leads a lot of people making these outside-only pets, and my personal view is that outside-only pets generally don't get the treatment they deserve unless they're on a ranch or farm or something.

Love his color pattern! Grats! I wish I had the space for a dog.
                              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X