Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 6 yr old is pestering me to let her watch...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NFW. Not only do you need to be clear as day that she isn't allowed, but you need to make her understand why it's not acceptable for her to watch this. Don't just set the rules, she needs to understand there's a good reason for the rule. She's likely asking because there are other kids her age that she knows who do watch that show, and she wants to be "cool" by watching it, too.

Remember the movie Ted? Other end of the extreme. Hilarious movie, my wife and I both loved it. And we were absolutely appalled that our kids were coming home from school asking about it, because they were hearing about it from other kids their ages (elementary school). And then, when we finally got to see it, we were shocked and insulted by the low-life parents who were bringing kids as young as 5 and 6 year olds (!!!) into the theater with them to see it. I mean, WTF???

I'm far from a prude. Loved the dirty, raunchy, insulting humor. But, if you're a parent, and you think it's acceptable for your 5 year old to see scenes with a teddy bear snorting coke, having threesomes with hookers, and having a whore s**t on the carpet on a dare, it's time to consider self-neutering yourself.

Comment

Was reminded they also played Half Life and Gary's Mod games multi team when they were 14-15 years old.
      Some really sick stuff in there but a barrel of laughs when they were doing it.
      Spent more time designing levels than actually playing.

Yes, just say no.
      Gauge maturity and deal with it.
      Can't shield them but make sure they have a solid foundation.
      I think we got along because they knew where the line was and never really pushed it.
      Somehow they picked up a fascination for learning and that's what I'm proud of.

Draw the line and don't be afraid of what anyone thinks.
      Last edited by Cygnus X1; 02-27-2013, 07:30 PM.

Comment

This is a tough one, but ultimately my answer would be NO. Say it firm, explain your decision if you wish to. 6 is just too young, for this type of entertainment.

Ultimately our job as parents is to prepare our children for life, so that when the apron strings are finally cut they have the tools to succeed in being self sufficient and capable of providing for themselves. Obviously watching a 'show' shouldn't interfere with this statement ~ BUT, children also need boundaries provided for them as well as hearing no to some things. Many parents are failing because they lack the ability to say no to their kids, this is candy ass bullshit.

So explain if you want why you've reached your decision or don't. When I was a kid I knew that "No" was a complete answer to many questions, the need to explain and codify invites dissent and arguement in most cases. As long as you're loving in their lives they should understand that your decision is ultimately in their best interests even if it isn't what they wanted to hear.

My 2 cents, kids need a lot less TV in general. It's brain rotting shit, I'd suggest you put limits on how much TV time she gets. When I was a kid I played with "outside", kids today need more of this.
        Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
          My 2 cents, kids need a lot less TV in general. It's brain rotting shit, I'd suggest you put limits on how much TV time she gets. When I was a kid I played with "outside", kids today need more of this.
          Thanks for the inputs man! Yes, she get a LOT less TV than what her friends at school get. besides since she goes to private school, there is hardly any time for TV. She has 2 or 3 tests every week including 2 to 3 pages of homework! And she's in first grade! I pity her actually. But until she complains she'll go there.

Her TV time "officially" starts Friday night and goes to Sunday. But as soon as she's done watching one episode of Phineas and Ferb, one of us will distract her with something else and in the end she'll be left saying that she got to watch only one episode the whole week. LOL.
          Sam

Comment

Have her watch a couple episodes of Lidsville!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidsville
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

My 3 year old girl watches it. She's infatuated with zombies now! She understands they are fiction and thinks they are cool!!!! Zero fear. She watches TV, and does lots of other activities. I have zero concern. I have well-adjusted, active, sensible and well behaved kids. If you think shielding them from life or TV is the thing to do then great. Do that. I would never question it. That's not what I do. I explain life as it happens and I'm very happy with how they are growing and turning out. My daughter is brilliant. I'm sorry, but I don't think watching the walking dead is going to be the down fall of your kids. I'm hard as fuck on my kids believe you me. Just not when it comes to watching the walking dead. There are some other things I wouldn't let them watch. TV is the LEAST of my worries.
              Last edited by dvscool; 03-01-2013, 04:28 PM.
              -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Lidsville? I'll have to look into that.

dvscool, I hear you man. They don't need to learn the "bad stuff" from TV. They get it from their friends. Its all about the company they grow up with. My brother and I went to the same school, yet he went on to finish his Phd and write papers while I struggled to finish my Masters with just enough grades to scrape through. None of my school mates even graduated, well, except for 1 more other than me, but several of my brothers friends are very successful.

For now, I see TV as a "dumbing" medium. Did you know that your brain is less active when watching tv than when you're sleeping? That should tell us something.
                Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                  Lidsville? I'll have to look into that.

dvscool, I hear you man. They don't need to learn the "bad stuff" from TV. They get it from their friends. Its all about the company they grow up with. My brother and I went to the same school, yet he went on to finish his Phd and write papers while I struggled to finish my Masters with just enough grades to scrape through. None of my school mates even graduated, well, except for 1 more other than me, but several of my brothers friends are very successful.

For now, I see TV as a "dumbing" medium. Did you know that your brain is less active when watching tv than when you're sleeping? That should tell us something.
                  Too much TV is bad I agree with you. But there kids, and there going to watch TV. Hell, there are cartoons that I don't let my daughter watch yet I'll let her watch The Walking dead. It may sound odd, but its really not. Being a parent is fukin hard work sometimes. There's no instruction manual. Its hard keeping the line between friend and parent sometimes. Here's a good theory. If you never question that your being too hard on your kids. Then chances are your not being hard enough.
                  -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Working...
                  X