AX 41 K98k Mauser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AX 41 K98k Mauser

Well, it's not officially mine, but it's at my house. Since straycat told me to crow, here it goes!

The owner of the shop has let me bring it home until the weekend to "verify" it. Some of my friends recommended I do this as supposedly all numbers matching K98k's are commonly faked. My gut feeling is that it's legit. It's going to cost me my new brushed stainless Colt Commander. They make new Colt's every day, Mauser's like this don't come around very often. Here are a few pictures of her. She's solid, even the bore is in great shape.

Looks great the serial numbers are in all the places they should be and match that is a good sign.
    Barrel lands are to the edge of the bore thats good.
    AX denotes it to be an ERMA mfg which is correct for 1941.
    Matching number Mausers like this are fetching $25-2700 so I would do the deal.
    Not sure what you have in the Colt but yeah they make them everyday the K98 is a piece of history.
    Last edited by straycat; 02-13-2013, 01:14 AM.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks, when I first saw it I didn't know how rare the "ax" code made it. Seems like they're one of the more sought after codes from what I've been able to find.

I've got a thousand in the Colt. Basically, it sounds like once I'm convinced it's legit it's mine. I thought it was cool as hell the owner of my local shop let me bring it home to verify it. I've dealt with him for years, and we both trust each other a lot. Let's put it this way, the K98 and my Colt are both in my safe right now.

Comment

I like to deal with people like that trust is a huge thing.
        What is the number on the follower is it the serial number of the gun?
        That looks like the real deal to me but I'm no expert on fake K98's.
        Take some more pics of the markings on the stock if you would please.
        Is there a number on the stock on the very bottom half way up the barrel?
        Take the stock off and look for pencil marks or stamps there too.
        I noticed not many markings on the top of the barrel forward of the receiver so that could be an SS gun.The SS mark should be on the inside of the stock.
        I'm really diggin that one.
        Last edited by straycat; 02-13-2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

The number on the follower is the last two of the serial number. I'm going to pull the receiver/barrel out of the stock tonight. The rear of the stock is "Heer" stamped, but I didn't see any numbers on the bottom of the handguard going up the stock.

Comment

OK some were marked some not from what I have seen.
            Heer might have been the INF man's name or someone who inspected the stock.

Comment

Those pictures are too tiny. Photobucket mobile sucks.

Take it to a different shop that deals with antiques and militaria instead of getting internet opinions. It could be a $200 rifle, it could be a $2k rifle. Need to take it to someone who can look at it in person, IMO.

I have a friend with a whole set of original WWII Nazi die stamps and can literally fake anything but Colt case hardening, but there are a number of people who know how to fake that as well, I know at least two other people in the country who has WWII Nazi inspectors stamps.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Xeno, they're thumbnails, you gotta click on them brother. Trust me, they're big pictures. 40 pictures ended up being 140 megabyte upload to Photobucket. Took the best part of a half an hour to upload them.

Comment

Awesome Mauser Razor! Not to hijack this thread or anything but any of you gentlemen have any experience with LWRC AR's? Your opinions/comments/reviews about LWRC are greatly appreciated. I was thinking about picking up their M6.
                  "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

LWRC makes good shit! For the price of one I'd look hard at a Noveske or Daniel Defense, but LWRC is good to go!

Comment

Cool! Thanks Razor! Noveske was my other choice. I'm more partial to piston driven system than direct gas impingement.

Comment

BTW, do u know of any good online dealers that you can recommend? I was looking at KGI and they seem to have fairly good rep from the reviews that I've read.

Comment

I don't know of any online LWRC dealers. DSG is a great online dealer who sells Noveske's, and have fair pricing on a lot of AR related items. http://dsgarms.com/

I have a local dealer who carries LWRC. Pretty good people, I haven't bought anything to speak of from them, but every time I go in the treat me like I've spent a bunch of money there. The place is called Peck's Feed and Supply and phone number is 304-384-3334

Comment

More pictures.

Comment

280 is Erma. 658 on the other stamp? that slot is blank on the chart.

Comment

Working...
                              X