Another old gun thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another old gun thread

Added this 1950 Longbranch No 4 Mk 1* 303 Enfield to the safe today. My local pawn shop keeps getting in nice old milsurps. I actually went in to buy a New England Westinghouse Finn Capture M91 Mosin Nagant. Saw this lying in the corner and couldn't pass on it. Plus, I already have a Finn M27 Mosin Nagant anyway.

It's all numbers matching, damn clean, and even the wood is in great shape. The bolt face looks pristine. It's my first Enfield, and I've been itching to add one to my collection. It's one of the cleanest Enfields I've ever seen and picked up to check out.

Nice!! Old guns were always sought after by collectors, but, it seems to have gotten much crazier in the last 2 years.-Lou
    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

One thing I like about old milsurp rifles, this one cost me $175.00 out the door.

Comment

That is a nice one great guns too,good score.303 ammo is really hard to find and pretty high right now.
        Guys are re loading a lot of it so look around I'm sure you will find some.
        I had a Longbranch and a MK 5 jungle carbine.Love those guns
        Last edited by straycat; 02-07-2013, 12:03 AM.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Well, couldn't pass on the Finnish capture New England Westinghouse Mosin Nagant either. Picked it up today for $185.00 out the door.

Comment

I like that one too good score.
            Almost bought a Spanish Mauser today in 308 IIRC it was $175 so well worth it.
            I'll be at that shop tomorrow getting a lesson on how to strip an MG 42.
            The gunsmith is a guitar player I found out today so I see some trades on the horizon hopefully.I peaked his interest anyway.

Comment

That sounds cool as hell, stripping an MG42. The pawn shop I've been scoring my milsurp's at has an employee who can flat shred. The shop deals in a lot of guitars, and he's always testing gear and ripping away. It's always cool to talk to the manager while the employee is shredding away.

I really need to get me a 308 rifle. I have a strong hankering for an M1A, but wouldn't cull a AR10 either.

Comment

M1A's are my favorite and spent lots of range time with them.
                Missed the cut for Camp Perry more than once.

Comment

Cool.

Don't have much more to say because I still don't know jack shit about guns, but I'm learning.

With my luck, if I tried buying one of these it would be $185 worth of doo-doo

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    Cool.

Don't have much more to say because I still don't know jack shit about guns, but I'm learning.

With my luck, if I tried buying one of these it would be $185 worth of doo-doo
                    It comes with time trust me Don. I know a lot more about some guns than other ones. I've really learnt a lot by some of the gun forums I'm a member of, and honestly I like to compare what I'm buying to Gunbroker prices on ended auctions. You have to be a member of Gunbroker to see completed auctions, but to me it is well worth it. Kind of like shopping, and comparing Jackson/Charvel's on eBay.

Comment

Yep. I'm on gunbroker and a lot of gun forums recently. Lots to read.

A frend turned me on armlist and I'm really liking that. Sort of a local craiglist for guns.

Yep, it will just take time.

Comment

Exactly what Razor said. You will pick up bits and pieces here and there and then light bulbs will start coming on. You run across certain things/arguments all the time within the gun world just like guitars. Buy what you like and buy what you can afford and you will not go wrong. -Lou
                        " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I went out and found some old guns at a pawn shop. Some were cheap ($149) for a 7.62x54, and some were a little pricey ($399 for a Turkish 8mm). I'm just going to keep looking and not buy until I get a good idea of what I'm doing.

Comment

YT has some great vids on what to look for in Milsurp guns.

Comment

AIM Surplus just sold out of these, but I'm sure they'll get more in the next few weeks. I consider this the baseline when looking at Mosin Nagant's. AIM is a great company, and you would probably get a pretty nice one from them.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...d=683&fprdct=1

Impact guns... http://www.impactguns.com/surplus-firearms.aspx

Classic Firearms... http://www.classicfirearms.com/c-r-eligible

JG Sales... http://www.jgsales.com/c-r-guns-c-290.html

Samco Global... https://www.samcoglobal.com/rifles-2010.html

7.62x54R ammo and the Mosin rifles are fairly cheap, and pretty easy to come across. Most don't bring real big money, but a few rarer and odd ones will add value. If you find something you like ask if it's a good deal, but for the love of God never post a link to an auction on a gun forum. It's worse than posting a guitar in the "Efraid of Ebay" section here. If you find what you think is a good deal, disguise it pretty well especially if it's on an auction site.
                              Last edited by Razor; 02-09-2013, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X