Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old gun day

Picked up my Mauser K98 today.
    1944 DOT mfg.Waffen Werkes Brunn. Made in occupied Czech at the time.
    Cool that the stock is the laminated stock and un sanded.All matching numbers.
    Late production model so no hole for a cleaning rod and stamped magazine floor plate.Barrel bands are stamped and welded which is correct for a late production K98.
    All proof marks are there and still doing some research right now. Yugo ammo is still cheap so thats a good thing $6.00 for 15 rounds plus a butt load of bulk ammo for these is still plentiful.
    Attached Files
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Beautiful rifle. It looks like it just got uncrated from the factory. It should be accurate, powerful and dead reliable.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

All proof marks are 63 so a complete Waffen Werkes Brunn manufactured K98.
      Shows the shot proof mark but my guess it has never been issued or fired since it left the factory.
      Took the stock off to see if there were any markings in the inside of the stock but just the normal 4 with a circle around it and another pencil mark but pretty non legible.
      Still some cosmolene on the underside of the barrel.The crown of the muzzle is clean and smooth plus the lands go all the way to the end.Lots of life left in this one.Should be pretty accurate too.
      The receiver and barrel have the late production machining marks and not as nice looking as the early 40's K98 but its still a solid piece of history.
      I'm so glad its not one of the pieced together parts guns like some you see.
      Last edited by straycat; 02-06-2013, 09:37 PM.

Comment

That is one very sweet K98! Congratulations!!!

Comment

Thanks Razor I have wanted one since I was a kid.
          Just can't find any info on the shield stamp it says dot and has a 13 in the shield.
          Last edited by straycat; 02-07-2013, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
            Thanks Razor I have wanted one since I was a kid.
            Just can't find any info on the shield stamp it says dot and has a 13 in the shield.
            You might ask around on the CMP forums. A lot of guys over there who are into old milsurps, and the Russian Mosin Nagant forum has a lot of guys with pretty good information too.

http://forums.thecmp.org/

http://russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/

Comment

Thanks I will take a look.

Comment

I'm still learning guns, but it looks sort of like my Swedish Mauser.

What type of round is the Yugo? My Mauser fires 6.5mm x 55 Swedes which run me $17.99 for 20 at the gun shows. Am I paying too much?

Comment

Yours is a slightly downsized Mauser. My Czech Mauser is 8mm.

Comment

This shoots the 8 mm Mauser.
                    The Yugo is boxed as 7.9mm but technically the same caliber.
                    There is a lot of Iranian 8mm out there in bulk that was made on US machines we gave them years ago when the Shaw was in power.
                    1200 round cans out there and I will check to make sure on the price.
                    Checked out both sites Razor lots of great info.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      I'm still learning guns, but it looks sort of like my Swedish Mauser.

What type of round is the Yugo? My Mauser fires 6.5mm x 55 Swedes which run me $17.99 for 20 at the gun shows. Am I paying too much?
                      Don, you're paying too much.

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-.../65x55-swedish

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
                        Well, the good thing is I only had enough money (cash) for 5 boxes LOL!

Originally posted by axmann View Post
                        Yours is a slightly downsized Mauser. My Czech Mauser is 8mm.
                        My Mauser is stamped 1904, so I guess they had smaller rounds back then?

Comment

Don, the Swiss and the Japanese were fond of the 6.5mm rounds. Kind of the same theory as our troops carrying .223 and the Russians carrying 7.62x39 round. More rounds of ammo can be carried in a smaller cartridge. Although they're lethal at fairly close range, they suffer terribly in heavy vegetation and at longer range where their lethality and terminal ballistics drop considerably. The Japs went to the 7.7x58 in the Type 99 because the Type 38 6.5x50 wasn't as effective in China. The 303 British, 30-06 American, 7.92x57 Mauser and 7.62x54r Russian were much more powerful rounds and that's one of the leading reasons that the Japanese went to the 7.7x58.

Basically the same reason we see the venerable M14 being brought back and retrofitted into the Mk 14 Enhanced Battle Rifle. 7.62x51 is so much more effective at longer range engagements, and the .223/5.56x45 suffers relatively short legs. If you want to really see something that will surprise you, check out the terminal ballistics of 7.62x39. Sure it's nice to carry more ammo for the same weight, but me personally I'd rather have the more lethal round even at all engagement ranges.

Comment

Sweedish M94/M96 Mausers were small ring recievers and only shot 6.5 caliber. K98's, VZ24's and such variants were the larger receiver ring Mausers. Typically in 7mm or 8mm although there were some oddball calibers.. Sweedish Mauser's were either made in Sweeden or Germany. Should have the Sweedish crown on the reciever. Known to be well made. Also that round is really accurate. My kid has a newer CZ American in 6.5, one hole cloverleaf at 100 yd's all day. Stray, that DOT looks mint, very nice rifle indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by axmann View Post
                              Sweedish M94/M96 Mausers were small ring recievers and only shot 6.5 caliber. K98's, VZ24's and such variants were the larger receiver ring Mausers. Typically in 7mm or 8mm although there were some oddball calibers.. Sweedish Mauser's were either made in Sweeden or Germany. Should have the Sweedish crown on the reciever. Known to be well made. Also that round is really accurate. My kid has a newer CZ American in 6.5, one hole cloverleaf at 100 yd's all day.
                              Yep, has a crown and is very accurate.

Originally posted by Razor View Post
                              Don, the Swiss and the Japanese were fond of the 6.5mm rounds. Kind of the same theory as our troops carrying .223 and the Russians carrying 7.62x39 round. More rounds of ammo can be carried in a smaller cartridge. Although they're lethal at fairly close range, they suffer terribly in heavy vegetation and at longer range where their lethality and terminal ballistics drop considerably. The Japs went to the 7.7x58 in the Type 99 because the Type 38 6.5x50 wasn't as effective in China. The 303 British, 30-06 American, 7.92x57 Mauser and 7.62x54r Russian were much more powerful rounds and that's one of the leading reasons that the Japanese went to the 7.7x58.

Basically the same reason we see the venerable M14 being brought back and retrofitted into the Mk 14 Enhanced Battle Rifle. 7.62x51 is so much more effective at longer range engagements, and the .223/5.56x45 suffers relatively short legs. If you want to really see something that will surprise you, check out the terminal ballistics of 7.62x39. Sure it's nice to carry more ammo for the same weight, but me personally I'd rather have the more lethal round even at all engagement ranges.
                              This is my dad's rifle he bought maybe 50 years ago. It's fun to shoot but you have to feed it.

I much prefer flinging more lead and have two 7.62 x 39 AK's and think I want another LOL!
                              Last edited by DonP; 02-07-2013, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X