New AR-15 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New AR-15 build

As hard as it is to find an AR type rifle right now I landed a nice one.
    Was in a local gun shop about to pay a ridiculous IMO price AND have to sit on a waiting list to get another one.
    Anyway I caught site of a bushmaster complete upper way in the back of a case behind the counter.
    Had the guy get it out and It was an M-4 which is what I wanted he said he was out of lowers and didn't know when he would have any.
    My friend that works there said to the guy I found an ATI polymer lower in the back while cleaning up the other day its the last one we have.
    I had him go get it and made the deal.
    With AR's going for $1500-$2500 right now(if you can find one) I did OK and have around $800.00 invested.
    Never had a polymer lower so I figured why not give it a try?
    Everything fit perfectly no hitches anywhere.
    Took it out and ran 300 rounds thru it and it worked flawlessly.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

nice, looks exactly like mine. Have fun and shoot safe

Comment

I cant help but think about the good old days when you could walk into walmart and buy one of these for $300. Guess Im showing my age. LOL.

Comment

It wasn't that long ago you could have bought the ATI stripped lower for $60.00.
        Full complete lower with stock $160.00 add the upper and have built this gun for approx $600.00.
        I didn't do bad really considering today's insane prices.
        Cool part is I sold some pick ups, necks and misc parts and one low end guitar so I had the cash.

Years ago I got a 79 Colt SP-1 shorty for $600.00 and thought that was crazy.No telling what that would be worth right now.

Who knows whats going to happen with this who ha going on but I'm sure prices will drop again.
        Last edited by straycat; 01-21-2013, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post

Who knows whats going to happen with this who ha going on but I'm sure prices will drop again.
          I sure hope so especially since I have my eyes on a LaRue Tactical OBR 7.62.
          "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

Congrats on finding a AR-15 and doing it for under $1000.00! The numbers that they're bringing right now is ridiculous! For what you have invested you did very well especially considering the prices everything is going for now!

Be aware of the polymer AR-15 lowers. The Plum Crazy and New Frontier polymer lowers do not get kind words especially on the AR forums. I know the way things are right now anything AR is totally crazy, but if it were me the first chance I got I'd be swapping out that lower. It should be ok for plinking, but there's no way I'd run one hard based on what I've seen.

Currently I have three uppers on the way, a spare Windham lower in the safe, and another lower on the way. I'm not paying the inflated prices, but I've been lucky to snag two AR's ( a Colt LE6920 and a Windham R16M4FTT ) at my local Wal Mart in the past couple of weeks. Gunbroker has been my friend for sure, and I've made enough profit to fund my other purchases. I sold the Colt upper and lower seperately and the Windham upper seperately on Gunbroker, and they pulled $3,223.50 for me. Total cost for both rifles tax and all was $2,009.76. I still have a Colt LE6920 MOE in the safe that I bought March 2012.
            Last edited by Razor; 01-21-2013, 07:17 PM.

Comment

They're still selling, and the prices aren't that bad for a complete Mil-spec lower... Anyone looking for a complete lower that doesn't cost them $700.00 plus at today's inflated prices can thank me later.

http://www.usautoweapons.com/catalog...ategory=100660

Comment

Look at what this SP-1 lower brought... http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=325954141

Comment

What I planned on doing was find a complete older Bushmaster gun and use the lower on my new upper and the old upper on the ATI lower.
                  Thanks for the links.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
                    They're still selling, and the prices aren't that bad for a complete Mil-spec lower... Anyone looking for a complete lower that doesn't cost them $700.00 plus at today's inflated prices can thank me later.

http://www.usautoweapons.com/catalog...ategory=100660

I Would if I could get an order to go through. -Lou
                    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Nice! I'm glad you got a decent price. I also have a polymer lower on mine. It's a new frontier armory. The upper is a Rockcity arms. The upper cost me $460 with shipping/handling. They still have great prices and their fantastic uppers. It's an m4 upper with freefloat quad rail and 1:7 barrel twist.

Here's a pic...

This one cost me slightly over $600. I took advantage of the black friday deals on lower parts kits and stocks.
                      Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
                      Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

I so wish I had taken in the Labor Day and Black Friday sales that Palmetto State Armory had last year. I'm still kicking myself over it, but all in all I can't complain about how things have lined out in my safe last year and even this year. I just picked up a early Japanese Type 99 Short Arisaka rifle that's in very good condition for only $100.00. Got lucky in that it's all numbers matching too! I know it's not a black rifle, but I'll still post it.

Comment

Originally posted by LouSiffer View Post
                          I Would if I could get an order to go through. -Lou
                          Lou, it's letting me go right to it, kind of weird...

Try this link for the OD Green one. http://usautoweapons.com/catalog_det...oduct_id=91263

Comment

I used to have a huge gun collection back in the 90's but sold it off.
                            Bunch of pre ban Maadi's a few Poly Tech AK's unfired still in the box, a host of AR's and a Stoner 63 carbine.2 Armilie AR 180's.
                            A short barrel 50 cal rifle too.
                            A bunch of WWII pistols as well 3 1941 P38's 2(1910 and 1920) P08's,Remington Rand 1911,Colt 1911.
                            Last edited by straycat; 01-21-2013, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
                              Lou, it's letting me go right to it, kind of weird...

Try this link for the OD Green one. http://usautoweapons.com/catalog_det...oduct_id=91263
                              I can get to the link, but, when I put in my local dealers info for shipping, it keeps giving me an error that says " Name Field can not be empty "

I even tried with other browsers. They may have shut it down to order volume. -Lou
                              Last edited by LouSiffer; 01-21-2013, 09:20 PM.
                              " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Working...
                              X