Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New motorcycle day :)

Sup?

I had an old 75 Mustang-II that I was gonna redo back in the day and just never got around to and had been sitting outside my shop since 2001 and currently being unemployed, I know the funds involved in a restore project are not gonna happen anytime soon even if I wanted to do it. it was a little rough and needed to be gotten out of the weather soon or it would be even more of a bitch to fix up.

I didn't expect a whole lot of responses, cause the economy sucks and the Scrap prices are down too
    but I put it up on craigslist for the hell of it just to see what I could trade for and maybe I would get something I could use or could flip for some cash.

I got a bunch of BS offers( looks kinda rough, would you take 100 bucks?) and a couple I was considering,,but one guy hit me up, and this got brought to me

It's a 1990 BMW K100LT w/ABS and all the luggage.

those were the pics he sent me. i shows some of the plastic parts off, and the gas cap, but they are all there. As far as I know it only needs a fuel pump and a battery and a good cleaning off.

I've read a little about the fuel pumps on these going out
    and are 400 fuggin bucks, but come across a couple of forums that I need to read deeper into about some user mods for other fuel pumps( from napa) that are not that high, more like 80-100 bucks. so that's not so bad I suppose.

It came with all kinds of extra stuff in a Rubbermaid tub and in the trunk that I took some pics of, like some kind of intercom stuff,

the flaps that mount on the windshield,
    and some other little stuff

service and repair manual, and orig. owners books, old receipts, the second owner's bill of sale and hang tag($8300.00) from the bike shop where he traded in another BMW in 1995, for it,

a chrome Tow bar and mounting hardware for if I wanted to pull the little trailer,

and the back tire I guess is still practically new as it still has the little nibs all over it.

It has a Corbin seat which I looked up and seems to be a good seat and seems to have been an upgrade( that was probably about 300+ BITD) it's in real great condition with only a small tear right at the front corner by the tank.

Anyway,, this is my first bike. It's one of those things where I always wanted one, but just never wound up with,,till now.

I know a couple of guys that are pretty into bikes like I am guitars, and they both own over 3 bikes apiece, so I have some good help when it's time to start working on it.

So all you bike guys,, chime in, you think I did OK? any advice? do these have a decent rep? whats the scoop? tell me something good

MOSHON
    DAVE
    "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Looks like a good trade to me, that car needed some serious time and money spending on it. Now, get out and do some touring on it...
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

My wife's boss just paid $8K for a BMW bike. Score of a lifetime there!

I wouldn't have given you more then $500 for that POS Pinto/Stang.

Comment

Just wait, 99% of the time if it doesn't run when you receive it, is never just a fuel pump and a battery. That said, I too would have made the deal. Have fun. I hope you're a patient man.
        HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I'd take that Beemer for the Mustang II in a minute. Bike is definitly workable also.

Comment

Would make a sweet cafe racer.

Comment

A Beemer K100 for a 1st bike, heh! I bet you could be one of the few people in history to say that. Certainly the only person who traded a shitty Pinto for one! Sorry dude, but you came out WAY ahead in this deal.
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Even though it's a BMW, it's still way more fun than the Mustang. I love a good muscle car but bikes will always be #1.

Comment

Wow. Grats! You got a screaming deal on that one. That's a sweet bike. If you take off all that old people crap, that's actually a bad-ass bike.
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Have that ABS system tested, if that's shot, it's probably gonna run some dollars as well
                    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Force View Post
                      Even though it's a BMW, it's still way more fun than the Mustang. I love a good muscle car but bikes will always be #1.
                      LOL! That was no muscle car

Comment

That was a good trade, those mustangs are pieces of ass and they got progressively worse going into the '80's. I can't see a resale value on it if it were mint to be honest. Beats window shopping at Ikea anyhow which 99% of people seem to do on a Sunday.

Parts are going to run you, even over here they aren't cheap. But the crux of the ABS is just a pump at the end of the day. Even with the ECU and being a beamer, I don't reckon it will be that complicated or expensive to fix, give it's age. The mustang on the other hand wasn't even that great when it was new and would have needed all sorts of upgrades from the manufacturer's spec, just to make it roadworthy.

Edit: or two as the case may be, $60 each for a decent used parts front and back over here $130 over there and another conrol unit will set you back $80. Bargain! Gonna beat the 0-60 time of that Fix Or Repair Daily all day long.
                        Last edited by ginsambo; 12-02-2012, 09:26 AM.
                        You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

you ought to be ashamed of yourself! stealing that motorcycle like that!
                          1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Right on

yeah, the whole time we were E-mailing I was thinking,, Man, when he finally comes to look at this car , he's gonna wonder what the fuck he was thinking and leave but ,,,here it is.
                            It's been deleted now, but I found the heading to his old ad when I did a search, and he was asking $1600.00 so hell yeah.

I'm broke as fuck being currently unemployed, so I don't see me getting it going in a real hurry, unless it's something I can do some trading for, or trade out work or skills for,, So I will probably spend a bunch of time just cleaning+ dreaming
                            but even if it costs some bucks down the road it seems by the encouraging comments here and from a few bike friends the only closer I could have got to hitting the mother load was if it was running ,,and when I get it running drive it like I stole it cause ,,,I did

So Ron,, I guess what your saying is that its a good thing for a first bike right...

I wish it was just a little lower though. I'm not too bad tip toe on it, but I would feel better a little more flat footed..but I'm not gonna complain and feel I came out ok even if it sits for awhile in my shop.

MOSHON
                            DAVE
                            "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Noticed you said it has a Corbin seat. You can probably get one that sits you a lil lower then. That seems to be a popular aftermarket change as many people have a hard time reaching the ground on some bikes, thus the introduction of such bikes as the 883Low from Harley-Davidson. Check with Corbin. They may have one already and if not I'm sure they can make you one at a reasonable cost.
                              In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Working...
                              X