Playing on a stranger's sympathy for free gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing on a stranger's sympathy for free gear

How does everyone feel about taking advantage of the generosity & good nature of strangers to try to score gear? Is it justified? Does military or public service or a medical condition, terminal or no, entitle you to brand new free gear?

To be clear, I am not talking about a forum member looking out for a brother who's fallen on hard times and shooting them a beater guitar just so they have something to play. That sort of consideration warms my heart.

But what about cold-calling celebrities, companies, forums and appealing to them for new equipment? Would you weave a tale of woe, about your sacrifice, your prized possession that you had to sell to cover costs, how long you have left to live and that this [..........] would improve your quality of life these last few months?

Reason I ask is, I was poking around the Premier Guitar galleries, checking out Iron Maiden's 2010 tour gear pics (again) when I noticed this comment from August this year. Appealing directly to Dave for a charitable donation, the guy talks about the illness he suffers as a result of his work at WTC on the day the towers came down. How his wife left him because he just wouldn't stop diving into buildings to pull the victims out. About his prized Gibson LP that he had to sell to cover legal costs. How Dave's charity will help take his mind off the horrors he witnessed on 9/11 while he tries to play Maiden songs on it, and how when he dies, he will be buried with the guitar that he anticipates Dave will give him.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...ge=25&#gallery

Apart from it being a magazine site and unlikely that Dave would actually ever see the comment, a brazen attempt to snag a new (or at least a celebrity owned) guitar for nothing. But still, a tragic story and not atypical for those who sacrificed so much with the WTC collapse. So I decided to google the guy to find out more about him.

That's when things got interesting.

First search result - the Gibson forum. Only one post as a member, made on the day he joined. The story is largely the same, but because of his health and lack of funds, will now never own a guitar he's always wanted, a Zakk Wylde signature camo. He's never asked for a single thing for his contributions on 9/11. He's always wanted to own a Gibson but could never afford one. :think: Not looking for a freebie, but a price break would be nice.

Next a post from the Petrucci forum from Dec '11, since removed by an admin. The google preview shows the start of his story as a previous forum post on his profile view, but clicking on the link shows all of his posts have been removed.

The Warren DeMartini fansite forum, posted last May. He unfortunately had to sell his prized snakeskin Charvel to pay for legal fees. Warren is his idol and if he could make a charitable donation to make the last few years enjoyable, he'll be buried with it when he dies.

Phil Collen's facebook page a couple of weeks ago, where he explains that he has been saving for 5 years for a PC-1 but everytime he gets close, medical expenses eat up his savings. He is Phil's biggest fan. So can Mr Collen donate one of his PC-1s so that this vet who saved countless lives and shortened his own in the process can have some happiness before he leaves this world? He will be buried with the guitar.

Now I'm not suggesting for a second that this guy's medical condition isn't genuine, that he didn't risk his life saving people on 9/11. He has offered on all occasions to provide evidence of his failing health.

But does anyone else find his attempts to capitalise on it unconscionable? The guy isn't asking for help with medical expenses, he isn't trying to stop the bank from taking his house, he's not wanting donations to try some radical treatment to ease his suffering. Could the only thing that would salve this guy's pain be an expensive axe donated by a celebrity or company? If the need to play is so great, couldn't a $100 beater from a pawn store get him by considering that with all his medical bills the cost of a $3000 guitar could be better spent elsewhere?

Have any of these attempts actually been successful? If so, how would you feel if you had contributed only to see him pitching the same story to someone else who is now apparently his favourite player of all time? How long can you expect to cash in on your past deeds? And how many trips back to the well are you allowed?
    Hail yesterday

Fuck him. My brother died that day. Sounds like a fraud. Hopefully he dies a painfull death.

Comment

What a fucking douchebag. Even if his little sob story is true, he has no dignity whatsoever. What exactly makes him more entitled than anyone else who has experienced a tragedy?
      It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
      ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

i have typed, and erased, several responses to this. i guess i can sum it up rather simply - this person is beyond pathetic using a national tragedy and his ensuing health issues to cold solicit people for free high-end gear. if he wants to play so bad, a used first act should enable him to make some music....
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

He's a lying sack of shit, obviously. How about the celebrity he targets lending him a guitar for the few months he has left, and then it being returned in good working order, once he has croaked? Nah, probably not acceptable, he wouldn't be able to flip it then would he?

I suppose I can't say I blame him, I mean, how much effort is it to cast out the lines on a few forums like that, and wait to see who bites? Those Nigerian 419 scammers are still at it, and the reason they are still at it is because out of the millions of mails they send out, there will still be a couple of suckers who want to help them with their massive bank transfer. In any case, no money has been splashed out, there is always the remote possibility of a score. Got to be worth a punt, especially as he's not asking for medical bills to be paid, he's asking for relative chickenfeed. The thing that pisses most people off about this kind of appeal is the fact that if Dave Murray's giving guitars away, YOU would be the person who would give it the most loving home, right? Yep, me too!

If you think about it, it's no worse than any charity, showing you videos of poor Ngwnke, dying of starvation in Africa. Your donation won't help him, it helps fund the charitable organisation. Some months down the line, if there's any funds left after the offices in Nairobi have been refurbed, and the Land Rovers have been paid for, the trucks might roll into Ngwnke's village with some grain on board. Ngwnke, of course, will be long dead if he was on the brink when the ad was made. Will that stop them using the footage? Fuck no, pot-bellied kids covered in flies are solid gold when it comes to tugging on the heartstrings of Western TV viewers with lots of disposable income. If you are gullible enough to believe that donating money to Oxfam averts humanitarian disasters, well, happy days for you.

They figure that you might as well give the charity the money rather than piss it up the wall on Friday night, it won't be missed out of your wallet. Same with Dave Murray - he might just spot that, send a guitar and go to bed with a clear conscience that he has helped the victims of 911, genuinely pleased with himself. The scammer gets his guitar, everybody's happy, no?

I'm sure Dave Murray wipes his arse on these appeals, they don't even cause him to read them and certainly no moral dilemma about donating. Maybe if he has a 911 Memorial single coming out, he might want a nice publicity photo of him handing over a guitar to a victim - preferably a kid with no hair in a Chemo unit, or maybe a fireman in a wheelchair. Better still, a fireman in a wheelchair who has passed on his ailments to his sickly kids.
          Unfortunately, no matter how terrible the suffering that the celebrity seeks to alleviate, there are definitely 100 more cases round the corner who are far more tragic. Why should they not deserve a free guitar or a cash donation as well? Where does Dave draw the line? He'd spend his life giving handouts, rathter than playing his guitar. That's fine if you were a revolutionary Jew in Roman Palestine, 2000-odd years ago, but not really possible today. (Little chance of crucifixion these days though)

True charity is something you neither ask for, nor publicise when you contribute (unless, like Sir Bob Geldof, you are starting off something which is totally ignored by the world at large). It's helping your mate out with a beater, or, if you are a massive rock star, donating tickets/guitar/memoribilia to be raffled amongst well-heeled fans. Most of all, it's helping out because you want to, not because someone has laid the guilt trip on you.
          So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

It's bullshit. The guy is not who he says he is. A guy with his name is working in Nassau County as an EMT. The address he gives belongs to John A Crimmins and Associates.

Either this guy got his identity stolen or his boss (the local govt) needs to know he's scamming. I'm leaning towards the latter...however that phone number DOES go to John Crimmins according to Google.

If you google his ridiculous email it shows up all over the place with him whoring on and on about his gear.

Wow I'm torn here. Could the guy be THIS blatant?

I have a weak theory....this is some tard using his family member's cred.

Even if he was there and did what he said he did he's still a scammer. Googling his address as you point out brings up the same story with different guitarists.

Comment

Post his address.

Comment

Originally posted by pickford1625 View Post
                Post his address.

It's in that link VitaminG posted. First post.

Comment

Playing on sympathy with outright lies is disgusting. In some states its criminal. There are a few stories about crap like this, from the teen claiming cancer, to fake charities set up by an embezzler.
                  "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Fuck em. Period. Even if its true.
                    -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Fuck this POS! Get a job motherfucker! And if you can't afford gear that you want then tough shit!
                      "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

People in real need don't ask. People like this are just begging, or blagging more likely. A guitar isn't food and it doesn't put a roof over your head.

Travelling the world I was pretty shocked how my fellow countrymen, mostly women completely ignored pot bellied kids who were obviously starving hungry. They kind of switched themselves off to them and once desensitized could easily ignore them, even eat in front of them and flick their pesky begging scrawny hands away.

My view is look, if they are starving buy them something to eat, a cheap bowl of soup or give them an apple. Fuck the cash.

If they don't want an apple, then they don't need it so where is the harm.

I would give that guy an apple.

But I would take a few bites out of it first. Hell, I might just finish it and just give him the core. In fact I might just put the core straight in the bin.
                        You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

I think JFC has spoken....lol... FUK HIM!

I better stop reading or I'm going to go off on some long ass fukin rant about this shit...
                          I have been know to post some good rants though...haha
                          -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Be like the rest of us save up, or wheel and deal to get the gear that you want. Playing the pity story is not going to get you anywhere. I always thought it would be cool if a endorsee would give a few guitars away to a local school or to someone less fortunate. I myself have given a few cheap guitars to some friends teenagers in hope of them getting into something positive.

Comment

I was born with ginger hair. Yes, I know. It is a great hardship that I must suffer. I can never get a proper tan. It kind of goes red then white the next day. Now I know there are some people on the forum who have had great success in life. I would have been successful too, but alas, I was born with ginger hair.

Please I beg of you send me an...ummmm

RR1T
                              A few Charvel Custom Shops
                              ...err...and...some nice quilt top Dinkys.

I know you can find it in your heart to send me these items, for without them I cannot carry on. I have ginger hair.

Send them. Send them NOW. MOTHERFUCKERS! What? You think I am going to bust my balls to earn the money to buy them for myself?

Please spare a thought...I have ginger hair.
                              You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Working...
                              X